remaining mechanical signal cabins in ireland

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

17 answers to this question

As this technology disappears from the national railway, the DCDR is reviving it (in the nick of time!).

Once completed, the DCDR signalling project will see full mechanical signalling at Downpatrick, controlled by Downpatrick East Cabin (the former NCC Kingsbog Junction cabin), and Downpatrick West (former Bundoran Junction). The Loop Platform will also be covered. Examples of NCC signals, including at least one "somersault" will be in one location, GNR in another, and GSR / CIE elsewhere.

The terminus at Inch Abbey will have a ground frame, as will Ballydugan, if and when that extension is built.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Waterford west controls as far as Wellingtonbridge on the South Wexford line along with Sallypark yard, the station environs and the limerick/Dublin line junction. They also control the level crossing at Belview.

Theres no functional signals on the waterford roslare section , its operated as an engineers possession ,i believe

I shall make a trip to clonmel or roscrea, given I dont see these lines lasting much longer

am I right in saying they would be still using the Webb and Thompson ETS machines

Edited by Junctionmad

Birdhill-Roscrea is very interesting from a signalling perspective. The morning Limerick-Ballybrophy train divides in mid section at Nenagh with the rear portion returning to Limerick as a commuter service.

Trains that divide at Nenagh carry a banking staff in addition to the Birdhill-Roscrea ETS to allow the train to divide in midsection and allow the Limerick commuter train to return to Birdhill.

The release of the banking staff is controlled by modern industrial safety interlock switches interlocked with the ETS instrument in Birdhill and Roscrea cabins.

Birdhill-Roscrea is very interesting from a signalling perspective. The morning Limerick-Ballybrophy train divides in mid section at Nenagh with the rear portion returning to Limerick as a commuter service.

Trains that divide at Nenagh carry a banking staff in addition to the Birdhill-Roscrea ETS to allow the train to divide in midsection and allow the Limerick commuter train to return to Birdhill.

The release of the banking staff is controlled by modern industrial safety interlock switches interlocked with the ETS instrument in Birdhill and Roscrea cabins.

sounds like the one to have a look at ,

Ill get permissions to visit the box

dave

Theres no functional signals on the waterford roslare section , its operated as an engineers possession ,i believe

I shall make a trip to clonmel or roscrea, given I dont see these lines lasting much longer

am I right in saying they would be still using the Webb and Thompson ETS machines

Actually there's still a few in use between Waterford and Belview

I find that strange as abbey is closed AFAIK , and the line is run under engineer possession , effectively one engine in steam, which doesn't require signalling

Waterford to Belview is an open line for freight trains and is worked as such. Abbey Junction is indeed closed as a block post - not needed as the New Ross line is out of use. The engineer's possession on the line to Rosslare Strand starts immediately east of Belview.

Some working signals may have been retained at Abbey Junction to protect the Wharf Level crossing. The line from Waterford to Snow Hill Tunnel was converted to track circuit block working in connection with the opening of the Belview terminal about 20 years ago, Abbey Junction cabin was retained to control the signals protecting the Wharf level crossing.

I am not sure if automatic intermediate signals were provided to allow trains to follow each other through the section from Waterford to Belview

http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6953 appears to be a reasonable summary of the current situation

Cork(possibly), Waterford West, Clonmel, Birdhill, Roscrea.

The Cherryville Junction-Waterford CTC scheme excluded Waterford West which controls the junction between the Waterford and Limerick Lines, connection to the goods yard and the now single running line to the passenger station.

It might be worth while contacting Oliver Doyle of the IRRS and a senior IE operations manager for further information, he published several IRRS papers on mechanical signalling and CTC including the Waterford Line Mini CTC scheme in IRRS Journal http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20154/154%20Waterford%20CTC.htm