Class A ECMCHAS for Silver Fox Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

I have the design of the chassis and running gear complete, but this project has been on the shelf while doing the DARTs, though I am tipping away at the bogie frame sides and here is the story so far;....

The motors will be Tenshodo Spuds with a little brass truck to carry the third axle, this affair will pivot off an etched brass side frame mount fixed to the Spud body- I've yet to make one of these to test.

So with that decided! I set about working up the patterns for the bogie sides which will be cast in white metal. The photos show the main side frames cut out and part cleaned up, cut from 1mm black styrene, it's a bit softer than the white stuff. Each frame is in two bits and will be stuck together to give 3d look. The white cut-out laid on top is cut from never-tare paper which will be used for detailing the frames, and the springs are made of plastic- cast from a mould made from a M3 bolt, only half the bolt is cast for making up the springs. M3 bolt thread is a bit small and not the right scale, I might re-visit that one....

AC-00 IMAG2374.jpg

AC-01 IMAG2373.jpg

Next step is to work out the shock absorbers and mounts and all should be ready to glue up!!

Eoin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have progressed a little further on the patterns

I re-made the springs with a coarser 3mm bolt which gives a better spring look and more to scale, the shots are of the components going together- some are glued down and others not until the glue is cleaned up....

AC-02 IMAG2399.jpg

AC-03 IMAG2401.jpg

AC-04 IMAG2407.jpg

AC-05 IMAG2406.jpg

AC-06 IMAG2408.jpg

.....There is not enough hours in the day!

Eoin

• 6 months later...

Hi Kirley

These photos are for you to see progress, I'm about to clean the bogie side patterns up and give them a paint to see if any filling is required. Then its on to making moulds and doing some test casting....

AC-07 IMAG2914.jpg

AC-08 IMAG2913.jpg

AC-09 IMAG2912.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality, the phone has gone funny n all dark

Eoin

Absolutely stunning Eoin. Had you considered the suitability of Black Beetle 27:1 gear ratio motor bogies for your A or C class projects? They are expensive but seem the biz.

Yes Noel

The Beetle requires more head room by either raising the chassis or having a cut out in the chassis the size of the Beetle! This is a problem in a Class C with holes in the floor and not much floor left for other stuff, especially with two motors. The Class A is not so bad as its longer but this all happens under the cabs in both models. As far as I can remember the Beetle does not have the axle spacing for an A, the Spud does!

The Spud fits nicely under the chassis and its more economical

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

will those bogie sides be available for purchase??? will you be doing the C class sides also???? Stunning work

Yes DB JOE, they will be available pretty soon - €25.00 for a loco set kit, and €25.00 for a detailing pack kit which includes 4 ladders and piping.

The Class C bogie sides are complete but I'm remaking the moulds with the A's above- I had a lot of trouble with the first moulds! There is info here for the Class C stuff;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4121-Class-C-ECMCHAS-For-Silver-Fox-Kit?p=62234&viewfull=1#post62234

Eoin

brilliant will make a purchase for sure when both become available!! will you be making the chassis for the A and C with the twin motor bogies available too???? just had a look at that C class thread and it looks great

Test etching of the bogie frames and third axle trucks was done today;-

Two brass .28mm sheets were prepared and artwork laser printed onto trannies, this caused a few irritations as the cheepo trannie film I have distorts with the heat of the printer, I got over this by printing each side artwork on separate sheets- seems to be less distortion in the middle of the sheet.

AC-10 IMAG2924.jpg

This is the brass with Puretch processed on, UV'd and developed- worked out pretty well. Puretch is a photoresist that comes in sheet form sandwiched between sheets of mylar, peel one side off and squeegee the exposed side onto the brass with distilled water- in the dark room of course. After UV exposure the second sheet is removed and then pop it in the developer solution.

AC-11 IMAG2932.jpg

Etching then took about 1 hour in 'Edinburgh Etch' - ferric chloride with a dash of citric acid, I found this idea online to enhance the ferric chloride action and make the ferric last longer. It cuts through fairly OK, a bit of a raggedy line but nothing a file cant clean up, the cusp has to be removed anyway.

AC-12 IMAG2941.jpg

AC-13 IMAG2942.jpg

All filed and cleaned up ready for soldering.

AC-14 IMAG2944.jpg

All soldered up and ready to pop in a pickle for the night. Some problems have come clear on assembly- might go for thicker brass sheet next time, I will add some gussets to this test to make the assembly more rigid!

AC-15 IMAG2945.jpg

AC-16 IMAG2946.jpg

You can sort of see the lay of the land in the second photo- the spud sits in the frame which is clamped on through the spud, the clamp will be the pivot support and fixing for the truck out front!

Looking forward to popping the spud in and giving it a wherrr....

Eoin

Hi

Test assembly was done tonight, all went OK but those gussets mentioned earlier are required, could not face switching on the iron- been soldering DART stuff all day!

The front truck pivots on an axle bearing with a bolt down through a brass sleeve to hold the bottom clamping plate, the bolt will be the other way around on final assembly. A NS wire spring will push down on the truck and spring it centrally.

AC-17 IMAG2951.jpg

AC-18 IMAG2950.jpg

This shows the bottom clamping plate which will have a joggle in it to keep it centred on the edge of the Spud.

AC-19 IMAG2953.jpg

Articulation!

AC-20 IMAG2952.jpg

And some shots with the bogie side pattern blue-tacked on

AC-21 IMAG2947.jpg

AC-22 IMAG2948.jpg

Cant really run it until its beefed up

Eoin

Thanks all for the comments

Here is a video taken this evening of the first bogie beefed up and under test, all went well except it trips up on the insulated frog points as its not carrying any weight. The second bogie is nearly done so I can then attach them to the chassis plate with weight on and test again...

It does work rather well at speed, I'm going test putting some weight in the truck also

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Thanks all for the comments

Here is a video taken this evening of the first bogie beefed up and under test, all went well except it trips up on the insulated frog points as its not carrying any weight. The second bogie is nearly done so I can then attach them to the chassis plate with weight on and test again...

It does work rather well at speed, I'm going test putting some weight in the truck also

Eoin

Interesting and good progress Eoin. Thanks for taking the time to post the video. Is the bogie 6 or 4 wheel pickup?