New Diesel Arrival

Rate this topic

In one of the earlier examples of what we nowadays call an "early retirement package", steam drivers who did not want to re-train were given an option of early retirement (no lump sum, but the comparatively generous CIE pension), or a move to another area of the company. Among those I have been aware of, were one who became a goods clerk, another few who transferred to station work, and another who re-trained as a CIE bus driver. If they transferred to another area where wages were lower, I would imagine (but I'm not sure) they kept their driver's terms and conditions.

Many left. Same with the UTA - one GNR driver who my father knew became a bread delivery man. Many emigrated, including the man who drove the last train out of Enniskillen in 1957.

In the US , that basic Diesel loco pattern had killed steam from 45 onwards . I seem to remember getting a cab ride in the 70s , with a driver that had been a fireman , did firemen retrain to be diesel drivers ?

Some did, some didn't. Some left the railway entirely, others got non driving railway jobs.

they were busy little work-horses too 121,s unique looking loco,s

memories.

And as can be seen above, and even more so in colour, they looked positively space-age compared with what was round them. A bit like a brand new ICR sitting beside one of the last 141s, only way more so.

Good that 134 is preserved - and now IT looks archaic! From space age to archaic in forty years.

And as can be seen above, and even more so in colour, they looked positively space-age compared with what was round them.

I thought exactly that as I looked at the photo. There seems to be a clear black lining to both the snail and the number whereas no such contrast exists between the yellow and grey above and below the bufferbeam

This lining is uncertain. Memory suggests white lining and many photos show this. Others show a dark colour.

Thus there are two possibilities. One is that some had a dark coloured lining and others didn't; seems improbable but not impossible. The other is that whatever they used to make the white lining attracted dirt very quickly, which stuck to it.

Jury's still out but intend to get to the bottom of it!

This lining is uncertain. Memory suggests white lining and many photos show this. Others show a dark colour.

Thus there are two possibilities. One is that some had a dark coloured lining and others didn't; seems improbable but not impossible. The other is that whatever they used to make the white lining attracted dirt very quickly, which stuck to it.

Jury's still out but intend to get to the bottom of it!

If the issue is with B&W pictures, it can be a matter of whether Ortho- or Pan- film was in used. Yellows came out very differently depending on which was used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchromatic_film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthochromasia

panortho_zpsfa51cc16.jpg

The reason that I brought it up was that this loco is so new. However, dirt sticks quickly with steamers still around etc. Even newer photo probably sitting on her bogies for the first time at North Wall which suggest you're correct about the lack of a black line, although I don't see any here to be honest. Were they stripes on the skirt sprayed on, or applied like Tippex lines on later liveries?

121 new north wall.jpg

I have forgotten to whom this should be credited and i apologise in advance

If the issue is with B&W pictures, it can be a matter of whether Ortho- or Pan- film was in used. Yellows came out very differently depending on which was used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchromatic_film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthochromasia

panortho_zpsfa51cc16.jpg

That's very interesting, Jim as we have tried to infer color between B&W photos before. I suppose in a single photo the colors would at least be uniform and the there's definitely some lining issue on the snails and number which des not appear to occur between the body color and lines on the front skirt

Edited by DiveController

That's very interesting, Jim as we have tried to infer color between B&W photos before. I suppose in a single photo the colors would at least be uniform and the there's definitely some lining issue on the snails and number which des not appear to occur between the body color and lines on the front skirt

Without a known reference colour in the picture, it can be difficult to be sure - in general, older is ortho- and younger is pan-, but there was a lot of overlap time. Yellow is the most awkward colour - it can be dark or light. As you can see from the two pictures, you have little chance of being sure, unless there's something in the shot that you can be confident of. You could have two B&W pictures of the same yellow stripe and see one as dark and one as light on the final print, yet the engine would look the same grey in each picture.

Two (different, unfortunately) Spitfires - note the yellow outer ring on the fuselage roundel and the red (forward) stripe on the fin flash.

Ortho-

SpitfireonOrtho1.jpg

Pan-

SpitfireonPan2.jpg

Also, the blues have quite a difference, too. The fin flash appears to have the colours reversed between the shots, but RAF is always red at the front, blue at the back.

Guessing colours from B&W with no reference points is a dodgy game.

Edited by Broithe

Hi

This discussion on the 121 livery took place some time back in another thread but I cant find it.

In researching the livery for a 121 kit I'm working on(from time to time!) I came to the conclusion that its a gold line! added to the front and rear logo/numbering and not on the side, this lead me to believe it was done for visual reasons, you can see the grey and yellow have poor contrast with each other in the above photo- especially at a distance.

If you check out the 121 colour photos in the Huntress book and the Boocock book you'll see its back n front only, especially the Huntress photo of the cab end in the sunshine its not black or white, its kind of brown!

Eoin

Even with colour films, there's often a good variation.

tree_film_compare.jpg

And even looking at it directly with your own eyes, it depends on the light you're seeing under - and then you need to consider the light that you will see the model under - and there is a strange aspect of "scale" to colours - even using the exact paint can "look wrong" in the end.

Looking 'right' may be more important than being correct.

It's a minefield. flame-explodingsmiley.gif

Hi

The Ferris shot is a bit dark and hard really to tell, Ciaran's shot on his site, is in good light and it doesn't look like black;- http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locomotives/121%20Class/IrishLocomotives.html#126_196106086_0001_CC_JA.jpg

and there is this stuff also;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4218-Why-flying-snail?p=63616&viewfull=1#post63616

Eoin