Inspection car 721

Rate this topic

Was it this one?

It's made from the Bachmann Amtrak/Union Pacific inspection car.

That's my model of EM50 no' 700 which is based on IE's track recording car,721 is an inspection car used by per-way inspectors to check conditions of level crossings,fencing,cuttings and embankments along all lines,

721 is the only one of its type and was built in 1993 by Hugh Philips-the only other inspections cars are no's 722 and 723 which are a different type and were built in 1994 by Matisa-

I haven't see 722 or 723 for some time.

How much rolling stock actually carries a name on the IE network

Anthony-no rolling stock nowadays carry any names,

The last rolling stock in the IE era to carry a name were the Mk3a coaches and they were named "Cu na Mara",

They worked on the Heuston-Galway route from 1994 to 2006 until they transferred over to the Westport route for approximately one year until withdrawal in 2007.

Anthony-no rolling stock nowadays carry any names,

The last rolling stock in the IE era to carry a name were the Mk3a coaches and they were named "Cu na Mara",

They worked on the Heuston-Galway route from 1994 to 2006 until they transferred over to the Westport route for approximately one year until withdrawal in 2007.

What about locos Noel. IE ain't really renowned for naming their locos like other railway companies any ideas why.

What about locos Noel. IE ain't really renowned for naming their locos like other railway companies any ideas why.

And yet some city stations got named, perhaps because there were several in some places. There seems to be much less of a desire to name things than there is in the UK - army units, hospitals, schools, etc..

Yes NIR do the same naming a lot of their locos and stock

All the 201s are named, as is 082(?) and wasn't 150 named at the Inchicore 150th too?

I think naming locos is a very UKcentric thing, while some French, German and US CSX locos get names (that I can think of off hand), it doesn't really seem to be the done thing on railways in other countries.

Yes Fran I agree that the 201's were really the first complete class of diesels to be named but I am more interested in why the likes of the older diesels like the A/C class and Sulzer/121/141/181/071 never received the same treatment.

As for a UKcentric thing when you look back at the history of Irish railways and see that it they originally came from UK companies building a major trading route to the British empires 2nd city at the time (Dublin) I surprised the practice of naming locos never really took on this side of the Irish sea. It would be interesting to see if the rest of the British colonies kept up this practice.

• 7 years later...