Murphy Model Craven Buffet Coach

Rate this topic

Sails

no too sure if this is old news but Kernow's announced this morning via facbook

"Murphy Models announce a further production of the Craven Buffet Coach, due late October / early November"

There site has been update to start accepting pre-orders.

Mark

Yep, that's the announced 1509, sister coach to 1508.

That is more good news. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58241/MM1509-Murphy-Models-Cravens-Buffet-Coach-number-1509TL

BTW, are 1508 and 1509 not just a snack bar coaches rather than a buffets (i.e. despite Kernow's description)? Both Murphy Models catalog and RPSI refer to 1508 as a 'snack bar' https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/rpsi-collection/38/cravens-snack-car-1508. As far as I recall they didn't have kitchen facilities for hot food.

Does anybody have any photos of the inside of 1522 and its kitchen facilities?

Happy days with IRM, RPSI and MM releases this winter. There is a lot happening

1508 and 1509 were both converted to snack cars in 1990. 1509 only lasted in this configuration for just under 3 years and was lost to a fire in 1993. 1508 on the other hand has featured in almost every RPSI, ITG and IRRS railtour featuring Cravens since 1990 by request.

As a model 1509 covers a very short timeframe, I think only the NIR blue 201s feature a shorter history span.

As a model 1509 covers a very short timeframe, I think only the NIR blue 201s feature a shorter history span.

In terms of accurate operation, that makes both very limited indeed, and possibly of greater interest to a collector rather than layout operator.

There are other examples - De Dietrichs only for Dublin - Belfast line (albeit over a way longer period), and the light green Belmond 201 being another short lived loco livery.

NIR briefly ran a Mk 2 still in BR livery in the 1990s, and some CIE locos acquired the IE "set of points" logo before they got a full repaint in tippex stripes.

In one of my books there's a pic showing a loco in filthy Supertrain livery, complete with CIE roundel on the FRONT. On the SIDE there's a "set of points"! I understand that this was extremely short lived as the loco was fully repainted in IE Tippex shortly afterwards.

1518 and 1520 were also converted to snack cars around 1986 and reverted to standards after a few years... I "think" I've seen a pic of a Craven with plated over windows in CIÉ livery which would be one of these but not 100% sure. 1509 was damaged in the Belview derailment of 1993 on a GAA special.

1508 herself had a brief further modification in RPSI days, running with a wooden bar (painted by yours truly) in place of four bays of seats at the No.2 end from 2008, but we removed this again when she underwent full restoration over 2012-2015.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 13/10/2017 at 7:07 PM, Niles said:

1518 and 1520 were also converted to snack cars around 1986 and reverted to standards after a few years... I "think" I've seen a pic of a Craven with plated over windows in CIÉ livery which would be one of these but not 100% sure. 1509 was damaged in the Belview derailment of 1993 on a GAA special.

1508 herself had a brief further modification in RPSI days, running with a wooden bar (painted by yours truly) in place of four bays of seats at the No.2 end from 2008, but we removed this again when she underwent full restoration over 2012-2015.

Sorry for reviving such an old thread but it's better than starting a new one. Does anyone have any more details on 1518 and 1520 and for how long they operated with bars (Irish Railways Traction & Travel November 1989 refers to them as being fitted with "bars", the 3rd Edition from October 1994 lists both as standards) and in what liveries? Seems to be very little mention of them. When they went back to standards, were the plated up windows left as they were or opened back up and glazed?

I'm guessing things happened like this because these snack cars are pretty basic and so it was easier to grab a pair of spare standards (1508, 1509)  to convert those rather than take 1518 or 1520 out of service to refurbish them? 

• Like 1

The plated up windows were certainly removed when they reverted to standards (I remember stripping 1520 for parts for the RPSI set). My understanding is that 1518/20 didn't have lockups at the counter unlike 1508/9 and the mk2a ones, open to correction though.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1