Irish Ambulance Trains

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Charles Friel gave a very interesting talk last night on  the Irish Ambulance trains. The talk took place to mark the end of WW1 and was held in Enniskillen Presbyterian Church Hall. The event was very well supported and certainly well worth the trip.

I would be interested in any photographs anyone would have of any of the movements of these trains and indeed any written information. I provided Charles with pictures of the train arriving in Omagh and would dearly love to see more of its movements around Ireland.

Can anyone help?

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

From another post you may have read that I was in possession of the 1910 photo album that featured the original shot above and many more that I shared with Charles. Included pictures if troops leaving Omagh station for the battle lines of WW1, jammed into carriages like sardines.

4 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

To be honest, I am alarmed that every time I do a 'google' on subjects relating to 'Omagh' or 'GNRi' this forum and my postings come up. I'm not happy with the lack of privacy.

Hi Tony.

Open forums like this and most others, are available for the public to read, and therefore have never offered privacy over content posted. The public sees only what we have volunteered to contribute. Our emails are not divulged unless we post them. Changing your username from your actual personal name to an 'internet persona' helps. Some folks may be unaware that photos they take of layouts, etc, on a smartphone and post contain the precise location where that photo was taken (i.e. the address where the layout was). This can be switched off on any smartphone so photos do not contain location information. Having said that, it is relatively easy to ensure one does not divulge personal information nor security information in the content of ones postings by just being common sense careful (e.g. like going away on hols, etc, full names, addresses, phone numbers, etc). Bear in mind Goggle maps and Google street view already have a photo of every home and work place.

Noel

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

To be honest, I am alarmed that every time I do a 'google' on subjects relating to 'Omagh' or 'GNRi' this forum and my postings come up. I'm not happy with the lack of privacy.

Tony,

As others have said above, the content of open forums such as this is searchable and available for the public to read - not just members. This is common to the vast majority of web forums, not just this one. No privacy laws are being infringed upon as the forum does not publicly display your private details (real name, address, contacts, etc.) unless you choose to post them yourself.

I don't mean to be blunt, but if this is an issue for you then your best option is to stop posting.

I invariably if I am posting photos put a copyright overlay on the photo because one can't stop them being copied or 'snipped'. With over 25 million hits on my flickr site and over 6 million this year already it is inevitable that some are going to be snipped and posted elsewhere but at least their origin may be partly protected.

Ernie

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I invariably if I am posting photos put a copyright overlay on the photo because one can't stop them being copied or 'snipped'. With over 25 million hits on my flickr site and over 6 million this year already it is inevitable that some are going to be snipped and posted elsewhere but at least their origin may be partly protected.

Ernie

In fairness a lot of that 6 million in the past year has been us at IRM/Accurascale haha. 

Tremendous resource! 

• Funny 2

On 11/12/2018 at 7:26 AM, GNRi1959 said:

Garfield,

I'll try that, thanks

If it’s just that you want to protect the the ‘copyright’ to the photos a little (c) McGartland or (c) GNRi pseudonym will go a long way as Ernie says. I’ve enjoyed your contributions to the forum for the area that is close to your heart so I wouldn’t be dissuaded from posting if there is a viable alternative. Irish modeling is a relatively small group as we’re constantly reminded and every time someone leaves we are the poorer for it. 

• 2 weeks later...