Limerick junction new platform

Rate this topic

Just past through LJ and glad to see at long last this main line station will have a platform on each side of the line facilitating up and down trains stopped at the same time. Just like any other proper station. The lack of visual symmetry was doing my head in never mind the operational quirks. Will post photo later

New platform under construction at Limerick Junction. Derelict loco sheds behind. The platform is a good length. Presume there will be some sort of footbridge over or an underpass walkway to connect both platforms.

4F8168E2-4840-49FD-84A7-A4276F71D5C2.thumb.jpeg.2bda038b39513a5b3bfbb5e7edc4aa2c.jpeg

3EF5E126-975D-450B-BA6D-79FFA6DB90FE.thumb.jpeg.776a1ade8ba90c849af9768ff1172eeb.jpeg

E7171C53-974A-40A0-9753-C3799D68C4EA.jpeg.179cfab84edb4823412ca6fae17a0b75.jpeg

Edited by Noel
Added photos
  • Like 2

They got it done quick enough - they've only been talking about it since about 1860.....

Hmmmm.... Dublin has needed an underground system for decades. They talk of Metro. If Shane Ross lives to be 400, it'll still never get done.

Well, maybe if Shaney (my local TD, BTW) DOESN'T live to be 400, it'll get built sooner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irishthump said:

I think the operational quirks are what made it interesting for enthusiasts and modellers....

Yes but LJ seems nigh impossible to model unless one had the space for a 50ft long layout, LJ was just a long piece of string. The operation of the Waterford trains used to be interesting in the days before all the track was ripped up and they used to run behind the station building to the Waterford platform. Visually rather boring with only one very long platform, and that scissors did my head in. :)  :) 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, jhb171achill said:

They got it done quick enough - they've only been talking about it since about 1860.....

Hmmmm.... Dublin has needed an underground system for decades. They talk of Metro. If Shane Ross lives to be 400, it'll still never get done.

Well, maybe if Shaney (my local TD, BTW) DOESN'T live to be 400, it'll get built sooner!

At least they have copped on and realised shutting down the Luas green line for two years to upgrade it was total nonsense and was only going to cause economic and commuter chaos. Winston dug his heels in and sense prevailed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes but LJ seems nigh impossible to model unless one had the space for a 50ft long layout, LJ was just a long piece of string. The operation of the Waterford trains used to be interesting in the days before all the track was ripped up and they used to run behind the station building to the Waterford platform. Visually rather boring with only one very long platform, and that scissors did my head in. :)  :) "

I have a nice OO track plan that fits all the track work of LJ  ( the original ) into 20 feet , there was a full scissors there originally , but in latter years it was only a half scissors.  waterford  main platform was  also divided similarly into two platforms and in fact had a full scissors there also .  

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It makes sense, I imagine that trains in both directions on the Cork road having to use the same individual platform must be operationally awkward since the Cork loop was removed.

I wonder what they'll number the new platform. Will they renumber the whole station or just go for the next number on sequence.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

And Waterford now has a single platform - platform 5!!!!!!

Stafford, on the WCML, has five platforms -1, 3, 4, 5 & 6.

Originally, 1 was a bay platform, now disused for passenger trains, and they just renumbered the through Platform 2 as Platform 1, leaving all the others the same as before.

As often as the opportunity presents itself, I tell people that I will meet them on Platform 2...

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

And Waterford now has a single platform - platform 5!!!!!!

Does it not have a bay and the through platform or did they take another out of use?

5 hours ago, Broithe said:

Stafford, on the WCML, has five platforms -1, 3, 4, 5 & 6.

Originally, 1 was a bay platform, now disused for passenger trains, and they just renumbered the through Platform 2 as Platform 1, leaving all the others the same as before.

As often as the opportunity presents itself, I tell people that I will meet them on Platform 2...

Oban, Scotland - the only remaining platforms are numbered 3 and 4.

Stirling, Scotland - what was Platform 1 is now the car park. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but when Derby station was being rebuilt  access to platforms was in part  provided using golf carts and the old PO subway. Stern notices prevented staff from making use of the buggies. Perhaps at LJ  you will be driven to the new platform....  

Re Stafford I recall a tale of the use of a passenger brake van being used to transfer assisted passengers when lifts failed.

Robert 

Waterford does seem to be a case of withdrawal of interest by the railway.  At Best it now vies with the old Birmingham  Snow hill for being left to rot away by lack of foresight and inspiration so hopefully another  new station will be a breath of fresh air.  And have more than one platform face to allow interchange and a bit of flexibility at time of railcar failures, which seems to be the inevitable Achilles heel of the current minimalist provision.