Dunsandle revisited

Rate this topic

heirflick

was over in the west last week and pulled into dunsandle to see what was going on. great to see the E class again, but she did look rather sad - showing the effects of the weather. at first glance 428 looked as if she was going to be stripped..(hopefully not by vandals for scrap ) ..as all the engine bay doors were open and one was removed , but lying on the ground. the station itself look great - a credit to its owners. the single passenger coach and tanker looked really well. i enjoyed exploring the little shunter...which is not that little when im standing beside her, but then im not blessed with height! on the last look before i left, i couldnt help but feel that she might have been bettrer off in a preservation group that might in itme, restore her to her former glory and let her live again , reminding me of just how great that era was.....any how, heres a few pics

dunsanllerevisited 010.jpg

dunsanllerevisited 006.jpg

dunsanllerevisited 002.jpg

dunsanllerevisited 001.jpg

dunsanllerevisited 010.jpg

dunsanllerevisited 006.jpg

dunsanllerevisited 002.jpg

dunsanllerevisited 001.jpg

Keep her on-side - at all costs.

its already costing me an arm and a leg ..and my sanity! 'daddys little girls' - you would die for them all the same, even though they can take every oppertunity to take advantage of a situation (and whats more we let them..and sometimes encourage it!):rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Poor old 2159 aka 1633 CIE compo 1st/standard built 1954 and purchased by the Great Southern Railway Preservation Society (GSRPS) in 1984. Restored at Mallow and used on the "Sea Breezes Express" to Youghal on the 6th July 1985 - its only revenue earning trip in GSRPS ownership. After the break-up of the GSRPS the carriage was lent/sold to Westrail as a replacement for some of its stock destroyed in an arson attack. Its current good appearance is probably deceptive and I imagine, from previous experience, that water is flying in along all of the roof seams and destroying the carriage from the inside out. Carriages need to live undercover and 2159 has no future in Dunsandle. As for E428 - it would make you weep!

E428 at Claremorris on the "Balligo Divider" railtour on the 3rd April 1988.

http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/previous_locos.htm

E 428.jpg

E 428.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its a pity to see E428 in such a rusty state, I remember it running between Athenry and Tuam in the summer of 1989 and making a connecting sevice with the Heuston / Galway passenger trains, it had only been painted by WestRail and it looked a real gem.

Regards

h.gricer