Post Office (road) delivery van

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

36 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Most are either 1/43 or 1/50. Agree with Broithe I think 1/43

51 minutes ago, Broithe said:

It has been discussed before, I'm sure - but, it's hard to find a successful search term

Somebody should remember properly, but I have a feeling they are around 1/43.

So, unsuitable for 00 scale!

Pity. Nice looking little thing, which apart from the fact that I remember them, would look well outside a railway station building on a layout.

Just now, jhb171achill said:

So, unsuitable for 00 scale!

Pity. Nice looking little thing, which apart from the fact that I remember them, would look well outside a railway station building on a layout.

Unfortunately, I think so - more suitable for 0, I would think - subject to competent confirmation...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

This is a Lledo T2 model commissioned by An Post

Split screen and Irish reg

Some nice info on the card

P1120176.thumb.JPG.1fea710f3b235838a3616c51563e76bd.JPG

P1120177.thumb.JPG.c8ae44b5838e93d18024522973b07a6e.JPG

P1120178.thumb.JPG.30efc408821116b2ebe49dd8e4c3c26c.JPG

P1120181.thumb.JPG.5a497cc982eed3fb38a5cda431366a2b.JPG

The wheelbase was, I think, 2.4m and it looks like 52mm in the picture above.

So that would be 2500/52 = 1/46 in this case.

2 hours ago, Broithe said:

There seems to have been two slight length variations, but the width would be 6'4" /  1.93m and the wheelbase was 8'4.4" / 2.55m.

Any chance of measuring the model for a fairly definitive answer?

47mm.

In the meantime I uncovered the An Post set, having trawled through Lledo discussions it seems they used an eye watering variety of scales. Some of their buses (not the one in this set) look roughly 00.

To be honest, they're a bit primitive, not finely detailed, like diecasts turned out in the 1960s.

20200128_151559.jpg

20200128_151505.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

47mm.

In the meantime I uncovered the An Post set, having trawled through Lledo discussions it seems they used an eye watering variety of scales. Some of their buses (not the one in this set) look roughly 00.

To be honest, they're a bit primitive, not finely detailed, like diecasts turned out in the 1960s.

20200128_151559.jpg

If that's the wheelbase, it's 1/54.

(If it's the width, it's 1/41.)

There may be a tendency for these 'picturesque' style models to be made to a size to fit nicely into one of a few standardised box sizes, rather than to a set series of scales?

22 minutes ago, Broithe said:

If that's the wheelbase, it's 1/54.

(If it's the width, it's 1/41.)

There may be a tendency for these 'picturesque' style models to be made to a size to fit nicely into one of a few standardised box sizes, rather than to a set series of scales?

That's the wheelbase, so yes 1:54.

I would think that would be one reason, or to keep their casting set up all the same size. Nice model but their use of oddball scaling is frustrating from a railway modelling point of view. You can see straight off in the set the Anglia looks huge compared to the horse drawing the post vehicle.

Most their range is cheap and cheerful and not that sought after by collectors.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

vanset.pnghttp://www.irishstamps.ie/Shop/p-829-an-post-van-set.aspx

An official limited edition collection of five An Post Model Vehicles. The vehicles featured are the Model T Ford, Horse Drawn Vehicle, Anglia Van, Transit Bus, and VW Transporter. Each of these vehicles featured in the fleet over the years and has its own legitimate Fleet Number. This collection is contained in a superb presentation box set. A card showing an illustration of The General Post Office sits on top of a foam underlay. The models are housed in five cut outs making for a delightful set. The collection is limited to 2,500 sets with each one being certified and individually numbered.

Product Code: 18VANSET  Price: €60.00 

• Like 1