What's in a name?

Rate this topic

Old Blarney

We live in worrying times for many individuals and families, and so, I wish each reader well in these troubling and uncertain times.

Regarding our interests in Modelling Railways, I  can only wish each of the businesses supporting our hobby my best wishes, and where and when possible, I shall purchase goods and services from them.  Assuming we have supplies, and money available,  there is an enforced opportunity to decide what to do with our time!  Perhaps,  start work on a new railway layout, or make that long postponed start  on a refurbishment or alteration to our railway.

When the Exhibition Circuit reopens, and I look forward to that day, I wonder how many of the new exhibition railways shall have a name that reflects the present situation?l

Lough Down - Loch Doom - Lockdeway -  Lockedinn - Nogin Junction - Ottatonik Works -  and so-on, and on it way go! 

A light-hearted thought, in these troubling times.

To each of you - keep safe and good luck. The restrictions on our movements will, I hope, save many lives.

David White.

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

What a nice little Film. Aerial shots were great, That cutting was immense!

Yea and the train was faster than both aircraft. Somebody once told me the average speed of a mainline train in Britain is now slower than steam trains were in the 1930s before the war. Myth or fact, I've no idea.

I was doing a few jobs for an auld one that had moved into sheltered accommodation. There were two doors there that opened towards each other and the handles were chipping the paint off the opposing door when they clashed. It just needed something to restrict the amount that one of the doors could open. I thought about using the sort of thing that you sometimes get on cupboards and bureaux - a sliding bar that comes to a stop, limiting the movement. I couldn't think what the 'official' name might be and (luckily) she didn't have the internet anyway - so I had to wait until I got home. The idea was to Google for images, until I found one that looked up to stopping a 'full-size' door, rather than the more lightweight type that are fairly common.

I thought 'door restraint' was a suitable place to start, but was surprised to find that about a quarter of the images involved young ladies who had somehow managed to become strapped to doors, even before they had managed to get dressed at all, in most cases...

• Like 1

Well, we might build a layout based on the remote town in Co. Sligo called Slievesneasin (In ancient Munsterulsterese, that means Sleeve Sneeze In). 

The railway approached the station on a sharp curve and steep gradient, so in 1912 they decided to flatten that curve.

And they all lived happily ever after.

I'm just ringing Stepaside Garda station for a menu for tonight.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Ah, Stepaside!  Is this not something one asks another individual to do when - they disobey the guidelines on - Social Distancing!  I expect we could always quote the Rolling Stones! " Hey you. Get off, of my Cloud. 

Alternatively. Hey you! Get on a 44 Bus! What good will that do? It will help you to Stepaside!!

Perhaps that route is no longer the 44 to Enniskerry. It was when I went to Powerscourt with the 27th Dublin Scouts - now that was Social Distancing.

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

I wouldn’t be too happy about the residents, though.....

• Like 1

For a while toyed with alternative names for Arigna Town, including Ballyrina, Killyconcaray and (my favourite) Bailleshawbheagan - think zebra crossing.

Meanwhile, the Orpington model railway club use the village hall in Pratt's Bottom, while not far away are places called Badger's Mount and Fawkham.

As for Bastardtown, there was a cartoon in the Guardian of a lady at the desk of a solicitor's office. The secretary was saying something like 'if you are unhappy with Mr Smith, perhaps you could speak to one of our other solicitors?' The name of the firm was B'stard, B'stard, B'stard and Smith. Now we know where they were based.