Glendalough

Rate this topic

Midland Man

Hi all.

After a long time thinking I have decided to build the stock for a model of the Dublin and Blessington railway. The reason being is that I have fallen in love with small standard gauge railways like the W&T. The layout will be a what if off if the D&B extended to Glendalough or Rathdrum and will take features from the company's terminus Templeogue. So does any one have pics of the line or drawings/ pis of the rolling stock. I have to say it takes much ideas from David Holemans Fintonagh layout and will be the same size. Hope someone will be able to help or inform me on the line.

MM

• Like 3

I will watch this with interest! I once harboured thoughts of doing Blessington.

Similar to the double deck trailers, but a close look at photos will show differences when new and over time

Falcon-falcoln-works-traile.jpg.25e6a3900c8e79c4fbd24d3833179b05.jpg

Also beware the Drewry railcar was different in a number of ways before it was rebuilt by the County Donegal as a trailer

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, Galteemore said:

Great stuff. Always thought of the line when driving through Templeogue 20 years ago. As ever, start with the books!!

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22459973291&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-tile1&searchurl=an%3Dfayle%2Bnewham%26sortby%3D17 

That’s an excellent little book. As far as I’m aware there are only that one plus the one published by Templeogue library about ten years ago - they’re the only ones I have anyway, or have ever heard of.

• Like 1

Hi David.

I have heard of that book before. I will probably start looking for one when the lockdown is over. I always have a list in my head on what books I would like. Right now the list is small with...

Locos of the GSR also known as the bible.

GWR 150 It's the only 150 book I do not have.

Shepards Midland great western railway. I have read it from two different copy's yet none were mine and have never seen it in shops.

All of these will crop up now and again on Fleabay and other 2nd hand places. You can expect to pay €35 for the McMahon & Clements GSR "Bible". I may be able to find one for you.

What's the GWR book you refer to?

Shepherd's MGWR book - like the GSR one, 2nd hand the odd time. I expect you'd be looking at about €15-€25 there.

I have a couple of contacts - I will ask if you like?

Nah it's fine I always find a small bit of pride when I find a book I have been looking for ages. The 150 books a realy good stuff but can cost a prity penny depending on the seller. I have got 3 out of the 4 these are bibles of the big 4.

These come with track plans and the odd drawing. The each cost about 10- 15 euros whitch great as I find them hard to get. I think they are great.

image.thumb.jpg.f3110529c308cf226de7daded8b78fb1.jpg  

24 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

You should try and track down that book on the CBST. Published in 2009 by South Dublin Libraries by Aidan Cruise with many rare photos in its 96 pages.

I got one direct from the Library's own online shop a few years ago.

Yes that's it.

The book was written by David St. John Thomas and Patrick Whitehouse who created railway roundabout.

Just now, airfixfan said:

You should try and track down that book on the CBST. Published in 2009 by South Dublin Libraries by Aidan Cruise with many rare photos in its 96 pages.

Just now, RichL said:

I got one direct from the Library's own online shop a few years ago.

I will check. Library online shops a wonderful for have books in good condition.

Just now, jhb171achill said:

Ah! narra gauge!   🙂

Yes. Their track always surprises me how small it is compared to our track...

MM

Edited by Midland Man

1 hour ago, Midland Man said:

Yes. Their track always surprises me how small it is compared to our track...

All of 6.5 inches! ;)

Besides, our's is "Standard guage" so surely your's must be broad rather than our's narrow, no? 😊

Edited by hexagon789

• 3 weeks later...