Container Cranes?

Rate this question

201bhoy

Question

Was just wondering about which container crane I should get? I would love the Heljan one, but at the minute at least, it's too expensive and kind of impractical at it's so big and they're really hard to get... If any of yous have past experience or know which ones are good and which aren't, that'd be great!

Lads, I was looking at both of those. I saw the Lima one used to good effect in the Fingal county layout, which is one of my favourite Irish layouts, but I still think it looks a bit like a toy... I was thinking that the Kibri one looked really like Adelaide's one Garfieldsghost! By the way, I think you might be thinking of Limerick's one, Sligo's one is more like that the Heljan one :) I think that I might go for the Kibri one.

I know its fairly toy like, but to achieve a decent looking gantry crane you'd have to spend mega wonga, and poor ol' vinny is short on cash. That was my thinking based on his post. Personally, I think they all look fairly non-irish and would suggest that he pony up the £40 for the styrene, and scratchbuild this beasty.....

Bosko could work out the electronics!=D

DSCF1140a.jpg

DSCF1140a.jpg

I saw the Lima one used to good effect in the Fingal county layout, which is one of my favourite Irish layouts, but I still think it looks a bit like a toy...

The Lima one is not all that bad.

I think it's quite good for the price.

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN2401.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN2401.jpg

Looks sweet :)

Some SMD LEDs and a wee motor for the gantry and ye'd be sorted (and in the nuthouse!)

Hi Boskonay,

can ya tell me more about the SMD LEDs, have had an idea about scratch building a container crane for a while. I'm not gonna go down the road of motorising it tough. I'd like to keep my hair/sanity thanks. But some LED lighting on a crane would make a freight yard come to life:cool:

Tom

I'm using that one above, and a couple of container lifter vehicles. Much like the real thing!

My headroom is very tight, so nothing larger / taller would fit in that section for me, I love the look of the Heljian, but not the price :)

Must be the 1st time you ever complained about a lack of head room! :P

Hi Boskonay,

can ya tell me more about the SMD LEDs, have had an idea about scratch building a container crane for a while. I'm not gonna go down the road of motorising it tough. I'd like to keep my hair/sanity thanks. But some LED lighting on a crane would make a freight yard come to life:cool:

Tom

They are a very very small surface mounted LEDs about 1mm in size. I use them but they are very tricky to work with

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=srWyzhz1tRs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsrWyzhz1tRs

You can also buy them in small self-adhesive strips with resistors, etc prefitted.

Ebay search for SMD LED Strips.

They can have droppes soldered to them, and then stuck to the underside of building roofs, fuel points, you name it. They are very flush , so work well!

That might be the way for me to go. Saves a lot of space too. The Walthers one looks the best from the pics I think. I know they used these in Dublin port in the last few years as well as RTG's (rubber tire gantry) cranes, but did they use reach stackers in Ireland in the late 80's early 90's? That's the era for my layout. Usually the vertical lift type are older and reach/telescopic type are newer. I think the Walthers one would be more realistic for that time period?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739804618/in/set-72157626638886303

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739809040/in/set-72157626638886303

Prior to reach stackers, you'd have to find the mast type, which are like large forklifts with two prongs to go into openings on the containers and lift vertically, falling back against the mast. Those openings are gone from most containers now, only found on 10ft & 20ft containers. I think a walthers one dirtied up and a bit rusty would look dead on.

Richie.

That might be the way for me to go. Saves a lot of space too. The Walthers one looks the best from the pics I think. I know they used these in Dublin port in the last few years as well as RTG's (rubber tire gantry) cranes, but did they use reach stackers in Ireland in the late 80's early 90's? That's the era for my layout. Usually the vertical lift type are older and reach/telescopic type are newer. I think the Walthers one would be more realistic for that time period?

CIE used large and medium sized container handling forklifts at many depots from the late 1970s, places like Tralee and Galway that handled quite heavy container traffic never had gantries. The medium sized machines were mainly used to handle sundries containers and at smaller depots like Boyle and Mullingar.

The main difference between the older and current machines seems to be the location of the cab http://www.taylormachineworks.com/THDC-TXC-TETCP%20series%20Table.htm