Hope for future rail?

Rate this topic

RANGERMOUSE

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-rail-eager-to-expand-national-rail-network-chief-says-1.4486912

From the Irish Times yesterday.

It may be from Irish Rail themselves and not the NTA but it at least seems to have a positive outlook on rail.
There are some interesting points, particularly double tracking of certain routes. 
One route not mentioned that I think desperately needs it is the Sligo line to at least Mullingar and preferably Longford. 
This could open up a more frequent, reliable commuter journey as well as cutting the time on the overall journey from Sligo to Dublin which is slower now then it was in the 80s.

Could someone explain to me why there is no passenger service to Navan on the current line via Drogheda? Surely this could be utilised at a fraction of the cost of going the other way along the old MGWR route? A new platform could be built in Drogheda joining the existing one at an apex, similar to Mullingar. There is footage on youtube of a Mk3 PP, 121, with a service for a GAA match leaving Navan in the early 90s. Surely it is viable. Maybe the journey time may be longer and you could capture more stations along the MGWR route but something is better than noting.

Over the weekend I was looking at an old railway map of the network. It is criminal the way it has been decimated. The fact that towns such as Cavan an Monaghan aren't rail connected is a disgrace. Also, if you look at the old OSI maps online, you can see what routes were double tracked, Dublin to Longford, Sligo to Collooney, Mullingar to Roscommon. How different rail journeys would be today if these were still intact.

• Like 3

Yes it sounds positive. The one thing that was notable about the drive to increase commuter traffic for Cork city was no mention of Youghal. Youghal has both the opportunity for daily commuter traffic into cork as well as seasonal tourist traffic. RPA still own the track bed between middleton and Youghal and IMHO should not ceed it to another greenway. Short term thinking to placate local hospitality businesses and publicans rather than looking at the wider picture. Post covid with the successful shift to home working for many professions one can't help but wonder about future demand for commuter transport including Luas and Dart.

• Like 1

The Greenway is already being built between Middleton and Youghal. I only realised that when a body was discovered by workmen involved in the clearance of the old line. For me, reopening the line from Youghal is a no brainer.

Regarding working from home, I would be very sceptical about it's success. Working in the same place you live is not good for mental wellbeing. Your mind needs to distinguish between the 2 in order to relax. I believe this has been identified by some scientists and is being studied. A separate room for work in a house might solve that in some cases but not everyone has that option. I can attest to this being accommodated where I work. The last year has been tough. I was able to get home every 2 weeks pre Covid, I've no idea when I'll get home again. There is life in the commute yet

The latest issue of IRRS Journal says much the same about expanding the network. The recent study on transportation within the Cork area included a proposal for doubling the Glounthaune-Midleton line. Sadly, re-opening Midleton-Youghal doesn’t appear on the radar of any of the relevant transport authorities.

Stephen

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RANGERMOUSE said:

Regarding working from home, I would be very sceptical about it's success. Working in the same place you live is not good for mental wellbeing. Your mind needs to distinguish between the 2 in order to relax. I believe this has been identified by some scientists and is being studied. A separate room for work in a house might solve that in some cases but not everyone has that option. I can attest to this being accommodated where I work. The last year has been tough. I was able to get home every 2 weeks pre Covid, I've no idea when I'll get home again. There is life in the commute yet

Yes agree with most of that. Best of luck with the commute.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, K801 said:

Glenn Carr of Rosslare Port said the port was expanding rapidly since Brexit. Continental freight was up by 447 per cent, he said, while UK freight had fallen by about 49 per cent.

Could we see Waterford-Rosslare reopened?

Much as I hate to say it, increasing freight traffic at Rosslare will have no impact on the South Wexford. Rosslare is a RoRo port and there is no need for another LoLo port, given that Waterford is just around the corner. Mr Carr spent most of his time at that committee meeting agitating for a motorway connection to Rosslare. I'm well aware of the historical reasons for it, but I really do not understand why Rosslare is still in IE's hands. It has nothing to do with their core business at this stage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ei6jf said:

........ I really do not understand why Rosslare is still in IE's hands. It has nothing to do with their core business at this stage.

It's a historical throwback to when CIE inherited a share of the Fishguard & Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company, which owned the South Wexford line and the Rosslare port (plus other stuff).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ei6jf said:

, but I really do not understand why Rosslare is still in IE's hands. It has nothing to do with their core business at this stage.

IE's ownership of Rosslare Port allows IE to cross subsidise its loos making rail operations with the profits from Rosslare Port operations, though it could be argued that the the profits from Rosslare are insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

There is an expectation for CIE group companies to use the profits from businesses such as Rosslare Port and CIE Group Properties to fund investment in public transport.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RANGERMOUSE said:

The Greenway is already being built between Middleton and Youghal. I only realised that when a body was discovered by workmen involved in the clearance of the old line. For me, reopening the line from Youghal is a no brainer.

Give me working from home anytime. The Money I am saving is unreal instead of typically throwing it into the car and burning it on the 50 mile return commuting journey plus the environmental and health benefits from lack of Exhaust pollution, Noise and Tyre wear pollution and those f**********  that continue to throw their litter out of their cars indiscriminately, remarkable decline in that though the country side is ruined by it.

Lots of opportunities to rock out of the gaf to get some air.

Interesting to see if this will actually happen as quite a number of firms etc have declined to renew leases for offices so commuting could be a thing of the past. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Youghal would have been like pushing an open door for rebuilding. Why are they getting interested in expanding all of a sudden after turning down that open goal?

Indeed.

While far-fetched, I know, given population increases, one could almost make a case for ensuring that no obstructions are ever placed in the way of a potential Midleton - Youghal - Dungarvan - Waterford - Rosslare route!

Now THERE’S a stamping ground for a “Woolwich”, a grey 121, or an “A” class on a suitable layout!

• Like 1