Ballybrophy.

Rate this topic

Broithe

Over twenty going Ballybrophy to Nenagh and back? That in itself is interesting, as I assume that the few that DO use the woeful service on the branch were probably mostly going to Limerick.

I wonder? It might be preferable, if going all the way to Limerick, to aim for a train, or trains, via Limerick Junction - if the timing still fits with your journey plans.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Over twenty going Ballybrophy to Nenagh and back? That in itself is interesting, as I assume that the few that DO use the woeful service on the branch were probably mostly going to Limerick.

JB this is quite correct I used the train quite a lot in 2014 and 2015.

Majority of passengers go as far as Nenagh...very few after...which is why I think it was ridiculous investing in the Nenagh - Limerick section with a vastly improved motorway being built adjacent. If the line was terminated at Nenagh the same rolling stock could be used to double the frequency on the Nenagh - Ballybrophy section at more suitable times for passengers, this has been indicated in the Aecom Report published relatively recently within the past few years.

Also when on the train I know of a handful of people that DROVE to Ballybrophy from Nenagh to commute!!!! They always got the 18:00 back to Ballybrophy to collect their cars

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, it's one of Jimmy O'Dea's. A fascinating collection to go through, but a pity he never did any colour photography.

Indeed - quite a few things that I've never seen before, from when Ballybrophy was the centre of the Universe.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The parking situation is reaching crisis levels - this was the scene at 3pm yesterday, both sides of the access road almost out to the main road. There were two spots in the 'official' car park, due to people returning from a morning visit to Dublin, presumably.

The Orange Army, or at least part of an orange platoon, were renovating the platform edges.

DSC_0603.JPG

DSC_0604.JPG

DSC_0605.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Broithe

Sid Meade used to do futuristic city & vehicle calenders for a Japanese tyre company, one of his designs was self cleaning streets- the street was in sections and had different faces like a drum, when they needed cleaning they rotated to bring up a new clean face.....

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, murrayec said:

Hi Broithe

Sid Meade used to do futuristic city & vehicle calenders for a Japanese tyre company, one of his designs was self cleaning streets- the street was in sections and had different faces like a drum, when they needed cleaning they rotated to bring up a new clean face.....

Eoin

No stopping the Japanese...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo_Dome#Retractable_surface

• 4 weeks later...

It looked sharp in the Sun today.

DSC_0618.thumb.JPG.856f4ba5785c079c7c21cba6195da6a8.JPG

The water tower hasn't improved, the remains of the water gauge was flapping about in the wind.

DSC_0615.thumb.JPG.346241527f1559f0d6020d7e253626d3.JPG

The goods shed may be joining it on the Endangered List - there seems to be some concern over the roofing.

DSC_0619.thumb.JPG.92a2b15875f203b870a5696d69ecf782.JPG

DSC_0620.thumb.JPG.c997d99ce6822f4bcbea5bcab7759369.JPG

This has caused some of the overflow car-parking to be cordoned off, making things even tighter elsewhere.

Edited by Broithe
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting details were spotted.

Some of the weathering might draw criticisms of being rather amateurish if actually applied.

DSC_0616.thumb.JPG.dc90fb4e0ae4084639badc27aa204a43.JPG

This was amusing...

DSC_0621.thumb.JPG.9945570a52183fae014b3bb3537ca289.JPG 

Not all the chimneys are secured from habitation.

DSC_0617.thumb.JPG.88e8c56acaef16b2225b86d405765c4c.JPG

The "Armco" barrier in the car-park is impressive.

DSC_0623.thumb.JPG.63a99834226d43c60fbe0b9a00d583fa.JPG

The vacant 'building' remains, er, vacant.

DSC_0622.thumb.JPG.abaa48b95d9cb488a639136d45883d8a.JPG

Edited by Broithe
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2018 at 5:36 PM, murrayec said:

The Sid Meade of Bladerunner?  That's interesting

23 hours ago, Broithe said:

This was amusing...

DSC_0621.thumb.JPG.9945570a52183fae014b3bb3537ca289.JPG 

I couldn't walk past that without rotating the cover right way up! :) Opps did I say that out loud? parapet.gif

Seriously some great pics. You have good eyes to see things.

Edited by Noel
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Weshty said:

The Sid Meade of Bladerunner?  That's interesting

Yep, that's the man- we can also thank him for the design of the hatch-back car = Mazda 323, and the VW Scirocco, also big private ships for princess and rather rich people, but his best stuff is the futuristic artwork, I have a book from the early 80's about him- one wheel gyro cars, levitating cars that drive themselves guided by a central divide beacon, one wheel gyro personnel transport units one wares on your back, press the button, down drops the wheel and your away.... and oh he has designed passenger train interiors!

I bet he would appreciate the architectural quality of this station building- he does modern-futuristic but with an old quality

Here is a link if you want to see his stuff;- https://www.google.com/search?q=syd+mead+art&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzrfDVjcfaAhWJKFAKHVNJBJAQsAQIKA&biw=1280&bih=890

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I couldn't walk past that without rotating the cover right way up! :) Opps did I say that out loud? parapet.gif

To be fair, it is on the loop platform which will rarely see a passenger train against it these days.

I did consider going back and painting another 'e' on it, so that it didn't matter which way it went back next time.

There is CCTV there, but this is behind the tower of the new bridge - probably out of view...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 6:55 PM, Broithe said:

The goods shed may be joining it on the Endangered List - there seems to be some concern over the roofing.

DSC_0619.thumb.JPG.92a2b15875f203b870a5696d69ecf782.JPG

DSC_0620.thumb.JPG.c997d99ce6822f4bcbea5bcab7759369.JPG

This has caused some of the overflow car-parking to be cordoned off, making things even tighter elsewhere.

It amazes me they go to the trouble to fabricate steel to protect people from falling roof tiles rather than fix the roof! Iv'e seen this on a number of buildings around Offaly. They still won't stop roof tiles in high wind from hitting someone.

• Like 1

Hi Dave

That's bird nesting and pigeon access prevention

House Martins and Swallows love these kind of locations for nesting, and pigeons love the interiors to roost in, if they can find a way in they'll take over the place and do other things all over the place! And now with H&S rules it can be expensive to have the place cleaned up.

Eoin

5 hours ago, Dave said:

It amazes me they go to the trouble to fabricate steel to protect people from falling roof tiles rather than fix the roof! Iv'e seen this on a number of buildings around Offaly. They still won't stop roof tiles in high wind from hitting someone.

It amazes me more that IE have not demolished a building that has been redundant and surplus to requirements since Ballybrophy closed to goods traffic over 40 years ago.

Perhaps the hope is for a section of roof or a wall to collapse so that IE can justify the cost of demolition on health and safety grounds.

Presumably the railway is still liable to for rates on buildings whether in use of not and old dodge was to remove the roof from a castle or mansion to reduce the rates liabilities on large estates

Hi John

These sheds are generally leased out to local business for storage or to run business from like a fabrication shop if not used by CIE themselves. I know a chap who ran a manufacturing company in a leased loco shed in Dublin for many years......

https://www.cie.ie/property.html

I see a container at the far end of the shed, the ivy removal on the gable, the upper window coverings, and the infestation prevention leads me to believe the shed is used in some form or they wish to preserve it- though the ivy is working its way up again!

The proprietor of this thread may have further information or photos to assist in this investigation....?

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Those lettings usually pop up on Daft.ie , there is a list of what is currently available here, https://www.daft.ie/dublin/estate-agents/dublin-1/cieproperty/

There are lots of business set up in those types of sheds across the country but I have no idea if the one in Ballybrophy is in use.

A number of those sheds are also used as stores by the permanent way department.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:27 PM, Noel said:

Hi funny but also shows a lack of care by the staff involved. At Birmingham new st I saw some contractors having a hard time - they were cleaning their paint spills off the platform having made a mess painting lamp standards. It looked like the foreman said no clean no pay !  "ATD" Attention to detail springs to mind. 

I do like the look of a weed free railway so much better all round then on this side of the Irish Sea! - I am  sure there are some ratty bits but NR seems to specalise in the do not care finish.

Robert  

It's always possible that it could be the result of unofficial action, there are no screws in the cover and it looks as though it wouldn't be too hard to lift up.

It's certainly less of an issue than the time somebody lifted the bricks up with the whole yellow line warning on and got them all mixed up...

1241509413_Recent099.thumb.JPG.4651b8a86fc9c521c11709bbe0cdeac7.JPG

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 2