Guess the location

Rate this topic

My turn. Any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15737[/ATTACH]

Franno, put me out of my misery please - within 100 miles of Dublin is my only comment, the style of the cast iron is so fancy it can't be MGWR, stonework's not GNR(I), but the arched bricks are. Going into self combust mode....LNWRmy last guess before I need a reboot.

Franno, put me out of my misery please - within 100 miles of Dublin is my only comment, the style of the cast iron is so fancy it can't be MGWR, stonework's not GNR(I), but the arched bricks are. Going into self combust mode....LNWRmy last guess before I need a reboot.

Will leave it up for a while man and see if anyone else can guess it. It is a tricky one I admit!

I have planned in my mind to properly document the stations of GNR(I) Irish North West area of Clones/Cootehill/Dundalk etc., where there are many station 'gems' surviving, glad to know the Eiretrains site still retains interest. :)

It absolutely does. I was just trying to lend Richie a helping hand in guessing the right answer. :)

Still lots of Cootehill remaining. Must get some better shots of the overall station building though next time I'm there (usually twice a year). Plenty of detail photos, but none of the overall building! :rolleyes:

cootehill 001.jpg

Taken with an Instamatic (I hadn't anything better) around 1980 wont find this one on Eiretrains

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15760[/ATTACH]

Wished I'd be around to document that, a very nice station. Interesting to note since my visit a Celtic Tiger housing estate has swallowed up the former station site, although part of the goods shed is still in situ.

Wished I'd be around to document that, a very nice station. Interesting to note since my visit a Celtic Tiger housing estate has swallowed up the former station site, although part of the goods shed is still in situ.

Sunday afternoons 30 odd years ago sent exploring abandoned branch lines after getting my first car.

Very attractive line with riverside sections & a backdrop of the Wicklow Mountains.

scan0157.jpg

More common view of the North end of the train shed Not sure of the purpose of the stone building on the right it looks more like a farm than a railway building and too small to be a loco shed.

scan0158.jpg

Station building from the South East similar to Rathvilley

scan0156.jpg

I will put up the goods shed and trainshed when I get a chance.

The branch lost its passenger and regular goods service in the late 1940s, the only traffic appears to have been cattle specials to Baltinglass with the loco running light to Tullow to turn. The branch seems to have been quite run down and over grown in later years, most photos in later days show trains running through a sea of grass with the rails hardly visible.

There are a couple of nice photos of the Station in GSR days with a 52 Class on a passenger and a J15 on a goods in Great Southern Railways by Donal Murray (ian Allen 2006).

The trains are a nice mix the passenger with a corridor coach in chocolate and cream and a 6 wheeler in what looks like the then new maroon livery, the goods made up of old style14' wagon is a bit like the old Triang-Hornby Freightmaster set with no two wagons the same.

One of the oddities for the terminus of a long branch line is that Tullow does not appear to have had a engine shed at a time a shed or workshop was essential for carrying out maintenance light repairs between runs.

Edited by Mayner