Omagh GNRi station

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Just out of curiousity, here are two pictures I found of Omagh General Station that I built in the 1990s. The completed model was purchased by the local library when they opened their new headquarters in town. It has since been moved to Omagh Station Centre which is a youth club built on the site of the old goods yard. The photographer used photoshop to blend in a recent background picture of Omagh town.336547_7e87224e.jpg

336543_b8f1247f.jpg

Meanwhile, back at Omagh North, I have started the wiring of the layout. I am wiring and testing the entire layout on the surface, using masking tape to fix cables between and under tracks. When everything is wired, test and running well I will have to come up with a plan of getting it all wired permanently under the baseboard top and out of sight≥

Just out of curiousity, here are two pictures I found of Omagh General Station that I built in the 1990s. The completed model was purchased by the local library when they opened their new headquarters in town. It has since been moved to Omagh Station Centre which is a youth club built on the site of the old goods yard. The photographer used photoshop to blend in a recent background picture of Omagh town.[ATTACH=CONFIG]26532[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26533[/ATTACH]

Very nice, Tony. Superb stuff:tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Omagh North is now a 'live' functional layout having been wired at last. Still have to mount my DPDT switches into a small laser cut black perspex control panel and make a small under-baseboard shelf to hold my controller.I intend spending some time today getting familiar with the switches and controller. The next task is to make a decision on point control, won't be easy as nothing has really impressed me yet!

Omagh North is now a 'live' functional layout having been wired at last. Still have to mount my DPDT switches into a small laser cut black perspex control panel and make a small under-baseboard shelf to hold my controller.I intend spending some time today getting familiar with the switches and controller. The next task is to make a decision on point control, won't be easy as nothing has really impressed me yet!

Fantastic progress. Well done Tony.

What looks best Peco platform system or Wills?

Depends what type of platform you want to make. I have used Peco platform edging, with the top of platform surface cut from plasticard because nearly all our platforms are curved. It is really easy to do and very quick. The platform sides have a grove for the plasticard platform to sit on and glue to.

I think they have OO and N gauge variants with stone, brick or concrete face options.

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3310&CAT_ID=3311&P_ID=16866

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3310&CAT_ID=3311&P_ID=16869

LK-67.jpg

LK-61.jpg

PlayingModelRailways.jpg

Why not make your own platforms, MDF plus a jigsaw and you can cut it to the shape you want. If the finish on Omagh North platforms were paved you can scribe the surface. This is what I did on my layout.

They look really great Kieran. I made ours out of large sheets of plasticard (from art shop) and also cut to the curved shape we needed. The flexible Peco edging was a great help though and it was very quick to make. The plastic platform surface can be any colour you need, and alternatively could use any of the textured plasticards or papers. Ours are made in 3ft sections which snap fit together like a jigsaw using the lugs in the Peco edging. An advantage of plastic platforms is the cavity under the surface for wiring lights and fitting poles, lamps, platform signals, etc. I haven't had time to weather ours yet.

Made this little box to hold my Gaugemaster in place under the baseboard top and out of site. Its now fitted and ready for the controller. Worked out pretty well, glad I took my time and thought it through. As you can see, I'm still waiting for my small perspex panel to house the DPDT switches and its almost ready. My Irish GNR(i) styled signal cabin will sit in front of the DPDT switches so they won't be seen from any likely audience, should I ever go public! To be honest, I'm still undecided about point control..... help?

IMG_0134.jpg

Edited by TonyMcGartland

Looks pretty damn good to me - the flow of the track work is splendid and am sure must contribute to good running.

Re platform surfaces, in 4mm scale or smaller, a painted surface may well be all the texture required. If a little more is wanted, try talc sifted on to GLOSS paint - either grey or black, depending on the colour you want to represent. Chinchilla dust [fine sand, not freeze dried rodents] on gloss paint works well in 7mm scale - did Fintonagh's platforms that way.

[quote name= My Irish GNR(i) styled signal cabin will sit in front of the DPDT switches so they won't be seen from any likely audience' date=' should I ever go public! To be honest, I'm still undecided about point control..... help?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26674[/ATTACH]

Tony

Andy Cundick has a mind-glowingly simple and effective way of changing points on Arigna - it uses cheap switches such as you show, but attached to a piece of stiff wire with an adjuster on it. I can't remember if he uses it on the Broad Gauge Valencia.

I'll PM him and get him to post his method which deserves a wider audience!

Leslie

Tony,As requested the point control i use as standard is pretty simple and fairly foolproof (with me it has to be.Basically underneath the point i have a slot under the tiebar with a bit of timber 1"x 1/2" approx mounted on the side of this is a bit of Copperclad sleeper strip about 1 1/4" long this is secured by 4 Peco track spikes so it can slide side to side in line with the tie bar.A bit of 1mm N/S rod is fed down through the hole in the tie bar and soldered to the copperclad.The control end is just a 30p slide switch with a hole drilled through the Nylon slider this needs to be rattling good fit for an 8BA bolt,the idea being that the bolt is nutted both sides of the switch to allow for adjustment.To connect the point to the switch i use Silicon/Nickel silver wire in tube from Wizard/MSE Models.This soldered to the bolt (the slot in the head helps here)and the copperclad strip.The silicon tube is then secured with hot glue.Any adjusting can then be done using the bolt on the switch.All you then need is to wire up the point ,the middletag on the switch goes to the frog and the other two are for feed from the toe of the point.Hope this makes sense,Andy

Tony Demonstration piece posted this morning Andy.

I received this demonstration piece today Andy and I really was impressed with it. It puts all out out of my mind that it is cheap yet effective way of controlling paintwork. I'd be really pleased with this system. I can't say thank you loud enough, it was a very nice thing to do.

So excited today after receiving my first GNR(i) wagon kit from Provincial Wagons. A great little kit that I'm looking forward to seeing on 'Omagh North' in due course. Thanks Leslie.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26725[/ATTACH]

My pleasure, Tony. You'll need a SLNCR one, too - plenty of those in stock!!!!!

Glad Andy could help out re the pointwork- like many "exhibitionists" he's very quick to share all manner of little "tricks" and methods which he uses.

Note to Exhibition managers in Ireland -

Andy has four (?) Irish layouts and it's not fair that it's only we "weeping exiles" in England who see them!!

Leslie

Theres so much happening at the moment with Omagh North. At one end its a partial build of Shed in goods yard to create a scenic break, points to be connected to some sort of levers, platform ends to form, water tower and plumbers store to scratch build. Other end I have a road bridge to scratch build and lot of trackside detail to study and source. Its nice to just work a little at a time and enjoy it.