A Gaggle of J15s

Rate this topic

Mayner

I ended up modelling the 101 Class almost by accident. I set out too many years ago with the intention of modelling the Mayo Road in the 1950s & scratchbuilt a number of locos including a 650 Class and a 594 Midland standard goods, ten along came the TMD J15 in 1985-85.  My early scratchbuilding efforts ran reasonably well but looked a bit rough, I was impatient and did not have the steadiest hand with the piercing saw. I scrapped my scratchbuilt engines keepings the wheels gears and motors castings and other bits with the intention of building replacements, but I am only getting round to it 30 years later, though I did build quite a few brass and whitemetal kits both Irish & UK.

I seem to go through a pattern of building a J15 every 8-10 years and currently have a total of 5. Two working, one part built and two unbuilt kits.

IMG_3523.thumb.JPG.3256741fd1c6e9a3cd29851e7aaf677a.JPG

I 1st assembled 193 (loco on left) between 1986-7, it did not run the best so I rebuilt it 7-8 years later and flowed up with 191 in 1995. I acquired my 3rd J15  as part of a job lot of part built & unbuilt TMD/SSM  kits at Expo EM around 2000, the builder of this loco had attempted to assemble the loco with a compensated chassis to S4 standards and ran into problems with the chassis assembly.

I acquired a further pair about 10 years ago, when my modelling interests turned towards the Limerick-Sligo line where the 101 Class handled the majority of freight workings from the Amalgamation to the end of steam. The basic idea is to retire 193 and have 4 locos available for freight service, with at least one with a superheated boiler and heavier frames, to free-up a set of frames.

I prepared a set of test etches for converting the SSM kit, I hope to cover off the test assembly of the superheated loco using these parts in the thread.

I though it would be useful to review how I approached the challenge of assembling and motorising 193 & 191, before considering the build completion of further locos.

191 & 193 have different motors and gearboxes, and I decided to standardise on Mashima 10X20 motors and Branchlines Road Runner + gearboxes on the "new" locos to bring a bit of standardisation into the fleet. A bit like the GSR my attempts at standardisation will only add to the variety of the fleet.

IMG_3518.thumb.JPG.8dbc7235d7b85a41ff72771b7a629943.JPG

193 has lost some of her tender springs and 191 some of its tender axlebox covers which were glued on, I soldered them on to the white engine!

IMG_3527.thumb.JPG.88d36599490c18dcb170a0243d3ae5fc.JPG

193 has a sprung chassis, with Anchorage DS10 (Tenshodo?) open frame motor and Sharman milled brass gearbox with 40:1 reduction gearing, Sharman B profile wheels set to 21mm gauge with a back to back of 19.5mm. Pick up is through the axles and bearings on the "American system" with the loco picking up power on the opposite side to the tender, the driving and tender wheels are shorted out on one side with fine brass wire. The phosphor/bronze wire soldered to the frame space may be to aid power pick up from the  axle to the frames and motor.

This system has operated reliably at exhibitions and at home except when I lubricated the bearings with a Labelle oil for the Inchacore 150 Exhibition. I flushed out the bearings with a solvent and oiled the beraings with my usual Fleishmann oil and the locos ran perfectly on the second day of the exhibition.

IMG_3533.thumb.JPG.c28c2bf19cceaf4db4b42e8717fc66f6.JPG

Initially assembling the chassis almost defeated me, I fitted new frame spacers, sprung hornblocks and flywheel during the 1993-4 rebuild, unfortunately I discarded the brake gear during the 1st attempts at assembling the loco as I did not have any suitable bits to drill 0.45 or 0.7mm holes.

The DS10 motor was one of the smallest available at the time and is a bit high revving for a goods loco, the Sharman gearbox is fully enclosed with an Ultrascale 40:1 gear set. I will probably re-use the motor and gearbox in a passenger loco when 193 is retired from service.

IMG_3528.thumb.JPG.2e1b85604fde833d020695cf5e60254a.JPG

191 is fitted with a Mashima 12X24 motor and Branchline Slimline open frame gearbox with 80:1 gearing, which gives more realistic handling and top speed for a goods locomotive. This loco is fitted with a compensated chassis with a fixed rear axle and the leading and driving axle free to move up and down approx .5mm from center. Smoother slow speed running compared to a loco with a rigid chassis (as a result of improved pickup with all 6 wheels in contact with the rails) is probably the main benefit of a suspension system in a small loco. 

IMG_3525.thumb.JPG.1278487ae11cd42329baf5736c2c8034.JPG

I build my locos in removable sub-assemblies to allow a loco to be dismantled for painting, and maintenance. The loco brake hangers and pull rods are a removable sub-assembly, which allow the wheels, gearbox and motor to be dropped out. I soldered a piece of brass rod to the brake stretcher bars to reinforce a very fragile sub-assembly. The brass strip under the tender is an afterthought that serves the same function! The insulated loco-tender drawbar is a piece of C&L abs plastic sleeper strip, power connection between the loco and tender is a very neat single pin connector that was sold by a UK kit/part supplier possibly Crownline or Comet at exhibitions.

IMG_3531.thumb.JPG.94c4469b3b2669d299110eae12a1895b.JPG

191s compensation beam may also perform a power pick up function. 

IMG_3536.thumb.JPG.b21d2fc0211171d0556755bce280bd64.JPG

The "White Engines" frames after removal of hornblock system. The white engine was originally fitted with an early version of the Perseverence Hornblock system and a Mashima motor and Branchlines gearbox similar to 191. I initially tried to re-use the chassis with the minimal amount of effort,  by reaming out the existing bearings and fitting Sharman B Profile wheels.

The original builder had become stuck at the same point with a number of engines and gave up in frustration, mainly weak soldered joints possibly as a result of insufficient heat soldering frames to spacers and axles seizing in their bearings due to a combination of inadequate preparation and flux contamination.

I was dis-satisfied with running so I ended up removing the existing hornblocks to fit MJT hornblocks similar to those used on 191, the solder joints between frames and machined brass spacers failed as a result of the heat, so its probably simpler to use one of the nickle silver chassis from one of the un-built kits to get this loco into service, than try and rebuild the existing chassis. 

The photo also exposes a major weak point of the chassis for a builder who intends fitting a suspension system, there is precious metal left above the hornblock cutouts at the rear of the chassis once the half etched lines are cut out. 

I fitted reinforcing strips to the rear of 191 & 193s chassis as a result of a lesson learned during my first attempt at assembly of the same loco.

There has been a lot of development in fine scale chassis since I 1st assembled 193, I am looking at the feasibility of fitting the 3 new chassis with a continuous beam suspension system which has become popular during the past 20 years rather than compensation like 191 or sprung hornblocks like 193, I am also looking at the pros and cons of mounting the motor in the tender with a flexible drive to the loco compared with mounting the new smaller 10X24 motor between the frames in order to maximise weight in the boiler and firebox and increase adhesion weight.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Fascinating, not least because I am currently researching it's big sibling in 7mm scale - an unmade TDM kit from the Richard Chown estate. The instructions appear to be the same for the 4mm version and my first job will be to type them out in bullet point format, so they are easier to read. No castings, so just as well the Reading 0 gauge trade show is coming up soon. Even in 7mm scale the frame cut outs for compensated/sprung bearings leave previous little metal left over, so the advice here seems very good.

Certainly hope that my model turns out as well as these beauties! Am hoping 193 has the sloping smokebox? One less casting to buy, while presume it was also a loco that worked up to Sligo.?

6 hours ago, Mayner said:

.... at least one with a superheated boiler and heavier frames, to free-up a set of frames.

I prepared a set of test etches for converting the SSM kit, I hope to cover off the test assembly of the superheated loco using these parts in the thread......

The Z-boilered variant is the one I'm particularly looking forward to reading about, especially if you do decide to make the conversion etch available to the public....

4 hours ago, Horsetan said:

The Z-boilered variant is the one I'm particularly looking forward to reading about, especially if you do decide to make the conversion etch available to the public....

Ivan:

Apart from yourself there has been little or no interest in the Z boiler conversion kit. 

The conversion etch is one of my early designs, there are a number of assembly issues which I need to highlight or eliminate before I could consider selling  the etch to the public.

I will review the situation once I have assembled the superheated loco. 

If there is sufficient demand (8 or more in this case) to offset the cost of a new photo tool I will revise the artwork, if not the potential buyer should be in a position to make a decision if the conversion etch meets their requirements.

The "white engines" frames turned out to be in better condition than they 1st looked, so I am planning to re-assemble the frames and running gear as a replacement chassis for 193. This will bring 193 mechanically into line with 191, with similar compensated chassis, wheels, motor and gearing should be good for another 30 years hopefully!

IMG_3546.thumb.JPG.f1a3d3bac5672f1593c7aca67a032fce.JPG

Dismantle chassis before clean up.

IMG_3550.thumb.JPG.91bcc028f4600d6196279c9e9686128b.JPG

A dunk in airbrush cleaner removed oil, grease and most of the paint, excess solder removed with an old file. I will re-use the frames, motion bracket and compensation beam and fit L & U shaped fold up frame spacers.

I thought it worthwhile to set up the running plate and valences on one of the new locos to check clearances within the splashers for 21mm gauge wheelsets. Most of my 21mm gauge steam locos are fitted with Mike Sharman B profile wheels which were intended for OO/EM use but have a tyre width of 2.03-2.06 rather than the 2.28mm recommended by the EM Gauge Society and used by a number of British wheel manufacturers including Ultrascale and Alan Gibson Workshop.

While 191 & 193 operated satisfactorily, there were clearance problems with the white engine with the wheel tyres occasionally shorting on the inside of the splashers.

The J15 running plate is designed around a base plate, which incorporates inner splashers, buffer and drag beam to which the valences are attached, the valences are reinforced with sacrificial plates to help keep the running plate assembly flat while the locomotive body is assembled.

IMG_3549.thumb.JPG.7ff22f8180d57df0f363a18e7812b8db.JPG

I used an "Etchmate" bending tool and an engineers square to fold up the splashers from the running plate.

IMG_3553.thumb.JPG.c9f861994a52bbcf73d6f293309216ee.JPGTest 

Running board with valences attached. I  fixed the baseplate to a piece of MDF (cut slightly narrower and shorter than the baseplate) with small woodscrews before soldering the valences to the baseplate.

I test fitted a Mashima 10X20 Motor and High Level-Road Runner gearbox to the chassis to check clearances within the body before making a final decision on mounting the motor.

IMG_3554.thumb.JPG.f12239ca7588ac881feeec94554e6110.JPG

There is sufficient space to mount the motor at a slight angle from the vertical within the firebox, though I would prefer to mount the motor horizontally within the firebox & boiler and fit a flywheel.

IMG_3561.thumb.JPG.3db860f67f3ffc9ac32f13f8c618fd20.JPG

Sharman wheels 19.5mm back to back overall width of wheelset 23.56

Min width between splashers  24.56

0.5mm clearance each side between wheel set and side of splasher

IMG_3562.thumb.JPG.259a9580417471bdc56ef7c54d125cd5.JPG

Alan Gibson wheels 19.3mm back to back overall width of wheelset 23.76 (0.8mm shims between wheel set and splasher)

0.4mm clearance each side between wheel set and side of splasher.

The wheel set is mounted on a 1/8" extended axle available for outside framed locos.

IMG_3564.thumb.JPG.84ade5662cc8f1de0b906cc79b64a06b.JPG

IMG_3560.thumb.JPG.7ca59a7d8c542b15151cbe988f8669c4.JPG

RP25 110 (Hornby) Tyre width 2.60-2.66

19.3mm back to back overall width of wheelset 24.62

Clearance  between wheel set and side of splasher Zilch!

During the test assembly I noticed that the distance varied between splashers on all three axles, with clearance at the center axle tightest. 

I will check align the splashers using a steel straight edge before attaching the running board overlays and outer splashers.

Clearance appears to be adequate for assembly with EMF profile wheels with minimal sideplay which will restrict the locos to curves of 3' radius or greater.

RP25 110 & Markits wheels would be a non runner with a J15 and the majority of Irish steam locos even if suitable wheels and axles were available.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 3

The chassis of the white loco was originally assembled with the square section brass spacers supplied with the kit. The spacers were originally supplied bored out to clear 8 or 10BA studding, the intention was that the builder would use a threaded bar/through bolt arrangement to align and clamp the frames together, before final assembly by soldering. The soldered joints between frame and spacers on the white loco were weak, one had already failed and difficult to re-make without dismantling the chassis.

Studio Scale Models replaced the square section frame spacers with more conventional turned brass spacers tapped 10BA which considerably simplifies chassis assembly.

I though some form of chassis alignment jig would be useful as I intended to use my own L shaped frame spacers rather than the brass bar originally supplied with the kit.

I fabricated a set of frame alignment jigs from stainless steel bar and springs bolts and washers from some C&L track gauges.

IMG_3574.thumb.JPG.a02647ad454fa4fea4e1bc4bee9edfef.JPG

The basic design is based on a frame alignment jig originally supplied by Kean Magib modified for the wider gauge. I ended up using stainless and aluminium rod of similar diameter is unavailable locally.

The turned shoulder is designed to locate in a standard hornblock cut out.

IMG_3567.thumb.JPG.e7e5be546edd01ca300d384adeaf324a.JPG

IMG_3569.thumb.JPG.3907122a1da75b7877193bc4115c8b42.JPG

Jig set up I cheated by taking the photo after everything is soldered in place 😄

IMG_3570.thumb.JPG.90e0887749d2075b022371ca6bd294a3.JPG

The assembled frames. I added a strengthening plates above the rear axle hornblock cut outs, the plates are L shape to provide a securer fixing to the frames, otherwise the solder connection is a butt rather than a lap joint.

I added additional frame spacers behind the motion plate and above the ashbox to stiffen up the frame assembly,

IMG_3575.thumb.JPG.ae4fc60ebd7f87590392a2121a15b959.JPG

I used MJT hornblocks and bearings some fettling was needed to allow the bearings to slide up and down in the blocks.

IMG_3577.thumb.JPG.11526e141295f87c313a68fcf9967ae8.JPGIMG_3578.thumb.JPG.fbdbbbf0c864db10833733b484207006.JPG

I used hornblock alignment jigs with tapered pins and the original coupling rods. I took the photos "real time" this time working back from the leading axle using an Antex 18W iron with a fine tip 145 solder and phosphoric flux. (small paint brush to apply flux and very little solder works best). This form of hornblock jig seems to be more accurate than the stepped type as the rods can be pushed in until tight against the shaft. 

IMG_3580.thumb.JPG.3a698f9efa0fad1cc0385bf4452cde93.JPG

Starting to look like a rolling chassis, I test fitted a small Mashima motor and High Level gear box as I cannot find the larger Mashima motor and Branchlines Slimline gearbox from the original loco.

The chassis will be ready for painting once I fit the compensation beam and brake hanging rods. I will fabricate the brake hangers and pull rods as a separate sub assembly so that the wheels and motor can be removed for painting and maintenance.

IMG_3586.thumb.JPG.8c827ec24bac7a00c3b41993e0f74a17.JPG

The white loco re-united with its chassis. Many parts were missing when I acquired the loco, I will probably replace the reversing lever with the more common linkage type used on the majority of the class including the preserved 184 & 186 and I will replace the crooked riveted strip between the bottom of the cab side sheet and running board. A more extensive re-build as a superheated engine may be on the cards as 101 retained its original frames when re-built.

I am planning to build one of the un-built kits as a Coey J15 229 with detail differences from the majority of the class and the second loco as a superheated J15 with heavier frames similar to 186. This should leave a spare chassis so 193 could remain in service a bit longer!

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

The MJT hornblox under 193 are very old stock, 101, 229 are due to be built with High Level Hornblocks and CBS suspension system, I bought the High Level CBS jig from Chris at Warley or Glasgow round 2001 or 2002🙂. The combination of beam compensation with MJT hornblocks, Mashima motors with Branch Lines slimline gears boxes should make an interesting comparison with the locos with the 3 new chassis.

IMG_3642.thumb.JPG.0fce68f30b9931281bea0232786f7e27.JPG

193 frames compensation beam and brake hanger mounting pin fitted. I ran into a sang with the brake gear supplied with the kit and decided to replace the brake hangers and pull rods with those of my own design. The original gear supplied with the kit was very fine and forming the brake hangers to shape is more difficult as the etched components are now in more rigid nickel sliver rather than the original brass.

IMG_3589.thumb.JPG.fe62d3db307176dae9843ddef927f615.JPG

229 part assembled with running board overlays, cab and splashers sides and buffer beam fitted. Parts for superheated engine laid out with spectacle plate and firebox of my own design (2012).

I made the mistake of assembling the running boards without reading the instructions and forgot that the "temporary splashers" incorporated with the engine base plate should be removed before the permanent splashers are fitted.

IMG_3597.thumb.JPG.b6f11a32f7b09b0b75f9d3dac8b60d07.JPG

229 with permanent splashers tacked to the temporary splashers. This results in the loco being 0.8mm (2.5")wider across the splashers than and the splasher sitting 0.2m higher than originally intended.

IMG_3599.thumb.JPG.242144cce742e78788a190b4926dc72e.JPG

Running board overlays these were installed by sweating in place working from the front of the engine using brass bar to curve to the profile of the valences and pressing down with small blocks of wood. I trimmed off the small tabs which are too high to fit beneath the "temporary splashers". I used 193 solder and an 18 watt Iron with a fine tip to attach the valences to the running plate of 229 and a 25watt soldering iron with a wide tip and 145 solder to sweat the overlays in place.

I used a piece of hardwood cut to fit between the buffer beams and valences as a base for supporting the running board during assembly.

IMG_3606.thumb.JPG.07d72b1cbb8006b629af1c4721d72158.JPG

Superheated and saturated J15s. The kit is basically designed to break down into boiler/firebox/smoke box and cab and running board sub assemblies.

I first tack soldered the cabsides in place on the running board and offered the spectacle plate/cab front up to the sides before soldering in place, the firebox is located by tongues on either side of the spectacle plate.

I decided to follow the instructions for installing the splashers on the superheathed loco which lead to some re-work, not sure in the end whether it was worth it!

IMG_3609.thumb.JPG.25e77ffd2c1b87caf3f153896af97908.JPG

Splasher soldering jig ceramic soldering board using brass pins to hold everything in place, I used 193 solder to attach the splasher top and 143 solder to attach the sub assembly to the running board.

IMG_3611.thumb.JPG.a6c442193c9a9048a40aed210275a12e.JPG

Completed splasher sub-assembly.

IMG_3621.thumb.JPG.6bcd7a24bb22d04e962a3859b87ae824.JPG

Starting to look like locos going through Inchacore or Limerick shops!.  Splashers fitted and cleaned up, next stage detailing cab running board assemblies.

IMG_3647.thumb.JPG.8b0828c8953f9c0043a1e835268ba663.JPG

Coupling rod assembly one of the most critical stages of the build. I 1st opened up the crank pin holes up to 1.2mm with a tepered broach while holding the rod with a pin chuck.

IMG_3649.thumb.JPG.0995abfd3f8736919ec3bc9d774ff5ed.JPG

Assembly jig. Drill bit used as a mandrel in a block of hardwood for laminating the rods together. I used a vertical drill to locate the drill bits. Drills are jointed on the middle axle for sprung/compensated chassis, so location of the central pin is less critical than a rigid chassis.

IMG_3627.thumb.JPG.c55bc945c0c721f8405e06525700f5a5.JPG

Belpair firebox showing formers.

Mock up superheated loco, smokebox is from a test etch I made up about 5-6 years ago, boiler wrapper from SSM kit. I will probably follow Martin Finney approach to forming belpair boilers with additional formers to for the rounded corners at the front of the box, with a bolted connection between boiler and smokebox similar to my Midland 2-4-0 kits.

IMG_3631.thumb.JPG.d5929d5deaed178524f5ce92addf9ad0.JPG

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Has an interesting experience today: I managed to break two 1.2mm drill bits while boring out some frame spacers in the lathe for tapping last night.

Went to one of the local machine tool suppliers, two of the assistants were playing in the stock room the other sulking behind the counter.

Didn't have the sized I needed in stock, said "I only work here" when I asked him if there was an engineering supplier in town. He eventually muttered that there was another supplier in town but "they are terrible people".

The "terrible people" turned out to be very helpful and friendly and had the bits in stock, I guess I wont be going back to the 1st supplier.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having re-built the chassis from the white engine as a replacement chassis for 193, I thought that it was better to crack on with erecting the frames for the other locos using a combination of SSM frames 101 Class frames and the heavier frames fitted to some superheated locos including 196 by the GSR in the 1930s.

I am planning to fit CBS (continuous beam suspension) to the loco with the replacement frames and fit beam compensation to the other two locos. Although http://www.clag.org.uk/pannier-csb.html CLAG have published instruction for fitting CSB to the GWR dean Goods and Pannier Tanks which had the same coupled wheel base as the 101 Class fitting CBS to the SSM chassis was likely to be challenging, I was unable to locate the forward fulcrum points for the beam as the chassis was fore-shortened and the turned brass frame spacers would obstruct the movement of the suspension beams.

IMG_3675.thumb.JPG.aa230c099d05fbdefdf9469dc49a4756.JPG

Cutting out the hornblock openings is a significant task on a loco with a suspension system. The Monteiths (well worth visiting their brewery when visiting Greymouth on the West Coast South island) was to steady the nerves. I made a new saw table from a piece of hardwood moulding. I bought the Eclipse saw as a teenager many moons ago, blades I buy in bulk from Micro-Mark in the USA. The cutouts are partly etched through to aid cutting out.

IMG_3686.thumb.JPG.4e1ea1cd335500cd02c2d6b9b6e3eb66.JPG

I clamp in vice then snap off the remaining section once I have cut through the sides, then dress the edge with a flat file.

IMG_3688.thumb.JPG.6b4f8e43893cd49b7f2fa5e8c18d7303.JPG

Chassis for superheated loco (designed 2012) has reinforced section over rear axle and conventional fold up frame spacers. I drilled out the frames for CBS fulcrum points using High Level Jig in conjunction with CLAG High Level Pannier instructions. I had to reduce the distance between leading axle and fulcrum point from 13.5 to 11mm due to foreshortened chassis to suit SSM cosmetic leading frames.

IMG_3689.thumb.JPG.d61e7207116343d33d900af12e745be5.JPG

Line up of frames. Turned spacers fitted to SSM Chassis, I will fit reinforcing strips above trailing axle hornblock cut outs similar to those fitted to my other locos, I will test fit motor and gearbox before fitting additional frame spacers.

Superheated loco chassis set up with home made chassis alignment jig.

IMG_3692.thumb.JPG.abdaa29783b437cff323bac8cc4b4e9e.JPG

Chassis from above the ashpan sides fits inside the frame cut outs at the rear, there don't appear to be frame cut outs or lightening holes in the area between the leading and driving axles.

I will probably half etch the ashpan detail with the frames  in a production etch

Based on photos I took of 186 at Whitehead about 25 years ago.

IMG_3693.thumb.JPG.6b68e21b138d101bd3cdcc1d8751892e.JPG

Line up of frames for 4 locos, the "white engine" or or possibly 193 may be rebuilt as superheated locos. 

I am planning to build the superheated loco as 101 which retained its original light frames. I don't remember if I allocated a number to the "white engine", it would be a good candidate for a re-build as the original builder cut off the firebox inside the cab and I am planning to replace the direct reversing lever with the linkage type surplus from the 229 build.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

A very interesting and informative build, John. Thanks for putting it up.

I'm thinking about the CSB approach for my J26 if I ever get started, but it seems to me that if one axle gets compressed up, the next one must expand down, and the third one must then go into compression - the law of the lever, if my memory is right. I'm afraid I'd get a visit from the crew of the Enterprise (Scottie, not the GNR(I)) telling me I cannae break the laws of physics. I was wondering about non-continuous springy beams instead, but then I'd need to double up on the number of handrail knobs to hold the beams which might be hard to fit in. I suppose it works fine for the CLAG boys in practice, so no need to worry about it in theory.

Good luck with the build, and please post as you go along.

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sudden burst of activity in the works after the holidays (Christmas through to Chinese New Year) including annual trip to the beach and a model railway exhibition.

IMG_3852.JPG.f9a8fb38474ffe7367b2d4e66fb550fc.JPG

Seriously full workbench, MGWR tenders on left, J15 frames and running boards on right.

IMG_3855.thumb.JPG.d17967c747166faa936d94b5d1164111.JPG

Assembled J15 main frames. GSR replacement frames similar to 186 on left. original GSWR/SSM frames on right I replaced the original bar section frame spacers with my own turned spacers and added some scrap nickle silver to stiffen up the rear of the frames/support the motor. I have to add reinforcing strips above the training hornblock cut outs and install brake hangers. 

I am planning to design new photo etched brake hangers and rigging as I require brake gear for 4 locos as the gear supplied with the kit is basically un-usable

IMG_3866.thumb.JPG.f71423b4369184a211698753c0a016a2.JPG

Test assemble High Level "Load hauler' gearbox, these are designed to  allow the motor to operate at maximum efficiency and a high torque for slow speed haulage.

IMG_3858.thumb.JPG.d15b6bfebe50a66226d4afaac0541f62.JPG

Temporary packing piece below motor, possible lead block?. One option is to bed the motor in silicone sealant as a resiliant mount to reduce vibration and noise.

The piece of  rail is basically American Code 250  "finescale" Large Scale narrow gauge rail, LGB rail is a lot larger in cross section

IMG_3859.thumb.JPG.0011d44823e4188f69b033846d3d6e07.JPG

With a horizontal motor set up the motor and flywheel will project into the boiler, not exactly leaving much space to add weight or a decoder (whatever that is).

IMG_3862.thumb.JPG.e5250009b13b5fee352f044f56764772.JPG

Gearbox basically fits in the firebox leaving the cab free.

IMG_3865.thumb.JPG.82bcc752398be3421ae270a74d7a51a5.JPG

I will probably line the sides and top of the firebox with sheet lead.

IMG_3868.thumb.JPG.282686fc5b80b558e746e39cd3f0e3a0.JPG

Reconditioned replacement mainframes for 193 and Branchlines Slimline gearbox dismantled for cleaning. The frames gearbox and motor came from a half built J15 I picked up at a swapmeet in the UK nearly 20 years ago and bring 193 into line mechanically with 191. I basically used the Slimline gearbox with a Mashima motor as standard for narrow gauge and industrial locos  very smooth running but a tad noisy.

Next job will be to fit the hornblocks, suspension system, and assemble wheelsets and gearboxes.

IMG_3868.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Sudden burst of activity this week possibly shorter days late Autumn or the need to clear the workbench for the next project before everything gets hopelessly mixed up and parts get lost!

IMG_4074.thumb.JPG.894fc7c2fcdb16425ddf92ee90fff12d.JPG

Starting to look like locomotives 4 sets of mainframes assembled, hornblocks and bearings fitted.

Smokeboxes assembled and boilers/fireboxes/smoke boxes fitted to locos.

Had a bit of a panic at one stage it looked like a boiler had gone missing.

IMG_4076.thumb.JPG.97ffe4b9d1eeb961bbf85e3b45ab6043.JPG

Ended up with a spare smokebox if I get bored with the sloping smokebox on one of the locos!

The smokeboxes are bolted rather than soldered to the boiler to ease/simplify assembly.

Remaining work is to complete the loco body detailing and to assemble the loco brake gear.

When these 3 locos are complete I should have 5 J15s all with different features.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

My giddy aunt, John, it's not the foreground that made my jaw drop it was the neat "filing system" of drawers for this and that behind.

I wouldn't DARE post a picture of my railway room, or the dining room table where I am typing this.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

A bit more progress cab and running boards fitted to chassis and reversing levers assembled and fitted..

Boiler fittinges, lamp irons, sandbox operating levers and grabrails to be fitted to new locos before trip to paint shop.

20190508_230900.jpg.8487fd3855a03059d4334a4ce8396e0b.jpg

20190508_230956.jpg.5d1c450d8ea27ef671c1f06d54573148.jpg

McDonnell style linkage reversing level  and new frames fitted to the "White Engine".

I need to replace the wonky riveted strip at the cab running board joint.

20190508_231017.jpg.7990120c72a1c043d261a1dd977ee4df.jpg

Engine personalities becoming more distinct 229 "Coey" J15 with direct reversing lever, raised sandboxes and slightly exposed rear splashers.

Apparently these locos were considered sluggish compared to the original design and tended to oscillate at speed. (J O'Neill & D Dondalson a "Decade of Speed" IRRS 197?

1?? Superheated J15 with new deeper frames and original motion with linkage reverser.

Like the GNR S Class 4-4-0s a significant number of superheated J15 received new heavier frames during re-building and were practically new locomotives with few original parts remaining.

This rebuilding significantly reduced the cost of GSRs goods train operation by cutting coal consumption and maintenance costs at a time the company was struggling with the effects of the Great Depression and The Economic War and probably contributed to the GSRs superior financial performance in terms of goods train operation compared with the GNR(I).

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

The word from jhb171seniorx2 was exactly this, and he was involved with the design work for their rebuilds.

The J15 was a superb, simple, efficient and highly versatile design. No surprise that it was, even in older designs only, by light years the most numerous type of steam locomotive that Ireland ever had.

• Like 1

The Dean goods was very similar in that it was a simple design that worked very well. They outshone some of the very latest designs during tests undertaken by BR. Even the uptodate versions, J15a and J15b, failed to shine compared to their earlier siblings.

Steohen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieB said:

The Dean goods was very similar in that it was a simple design that worked very well. They outshone some of the very latest designs during tests undertaken by BR. Even the uptodate versions, J15a and J15b, failed to shine compared to their earlier siblings.

Steohen

The two classes could have a bit more in common than meets the eye, both the GWR ordered the 322 Class and the GSWR ordered the 1st of the 101 Class from Beyer Peacock during the 1860s. Beyer Peacock also supplied locos of the same design of the 101 Class to the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not a lot of progress of late trying to decide whether to finish detailing the locos or assemble the tender and adjusting to winter arriving in June after a long Indian summer.

20190616_130932.jpg.c4791ea90d69ba95c5cf9f99142fa31d.jpg

The tender assembly is relatively straightforward with slot and tab assembly for the main components. I used copperclad sleeper strip to keep the outside framing vertical before soldering in place, I also moved the rear fixing bolt backwards to clear the rear axle and act as a fixing point for the coupler.

20190630_164823.jpg.d715b27c88fca3751af7d3eb022886b5.jpg

Tender superstructure, after three locos I think I finally figured out how the tender coal chute assembly is supposed to fit together. 

Still some cleaning up on the soldered joints, maybe its time to buy a resistance soldering unit!

20190630_164855.jpg.8f16c339dedf0b2eb3bf3d76488616f2.jpg

View of the top of the tender, I need to fabricate a tank filler and a (removable?)tank top/coal plate.

20190630_164537.jpg.bc259c454f09ed153b28e685d2c6aa56.jpg

Backplate with firehole doors added, I will add some basic plumbing and a regulator handle.

20190630_164617.jpg.525bd938307b15b27b56bd2d99cb8fcd.jpg

Test fit backplate, cab splashers narrowed to suit a 21mm gauge model, splasher sides incorporate an representation of the main frames. Body securing bolt to be cut off flush with (wooden) cab floor, excess solder to be removed from inside cab before final detailing, (reversing wheel, backplate detail, handrails, boiler fittings.

Next job is to assemble the tender underframe and loco & tender brake gear sub-assemblies.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Two years later I finally found time to do some more work on these locos having almost completed the 52 Class test builds and 3 MGWR 2-4-0s.

The first challenging was finding all the bits and found that I had used 193s motor and gearbox in a re-build of 2L and I had used the motors for the 2 new J15s in other projects.

I thought it simplest to focus on 193 as I had most of the necessary bits to assemble the loco.

IMG_1068.thumb.jpg.6b2b2c959941c2372ad363f85a5ada16.jpg

I dismantled and re-built the original TMD chassis with new (my own) frame spacers and MJT frame spacers, due to dry joints in the original soldering and reinforced the frames above the cut outs for the rear hornblock, but re-used the original compensation beam and pivot. I was happy enough with the original tender chassis so no changes were needed.

IMG_1072.thumb.jpg.7d39fa003522c65a22df9dcf66f05d6a.jpg

In a convoluted exchange 193 received the replacement High Level gearbox and Mashima 10X20 motor I bought for 2L and did not fit.

The gearbox is the 'Slimline" version of the High Level "Roadrunner+" gearbox , but Chris supplied the incorrect standard width final drive gear and then sent another standard width gear as a replacement. I had dreaded machining the brass boss on the nylon final drive gear to fit the "Slimline" box as the heat of the machining was likely to melt the gear, In the end I reduce the width of the boss by clamping the gear and boss in the vice and slicing with a very fin piercing saw blade, which cut through the brass like a knife through butter. I had accidentally set the gearbox up for use in MGWR 2-4-0 with its higher pitched boiler, so I was unsure it would fit in a J15 with its low pitched boiler.

IMG_1070.thumb.jpg.ed84e718596bab578bef5b140113a366.jpg

But seems to fit comfortably. 

At wheels are Sharman at least two of the wheel sets were used in the 2002-3 re-build of the loco though the training painted wheelset may have come from another locos. Curiously only one of the wheelsets is fitted with axle brushes or bearings although all three wheelsets are set up with the "live axle" system I used on tender locos with the plastic centered wheels shorted on one side to the axle, its possible there is another wheelset with bearing in my J15 parts boxes.

IMG_1074.thumb.jpg.875fe1302c3c4788d4a5d9d98ec7f72b.jpg

I grit blasted the mainframes using a Badger air abrasive gun with aluminium oxide blasting grit then primed with an etch primer before receiving a coat of

GSR/CIE grey.

IMG_1076.thumb.jpg.bb3e036608121f3e6c577aa483cb5d60.jpg

The next job is to find/sort out the hornblock bearings and coupling rods before setting up wheels and gear box in the frames.

• Like 4