-
Posts
5,004 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
59
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Galteemore
-
Would you buy a book (or series of books) on Irish Railway Wagons?
Galteemore replied to Bumble_Bee's question in Questions & Answers
This is very exciting. I can see a series working best, as the subject is huge. As a starter, I’d suggest looking at a fairly small outfit. Plucking a name out of the air, SLNC? No personal axe to grind, of course -
Tuesday Walkabout in the South Waikato
Galteemore replied to Mayner's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
Great stuff. What the Lough Swilly might have looked like today... -
Weathering suggestions for Mk2/3 coaches
Galteemore replied to Bumble_Bee's question in Questions & Answers
In my defence, your honour, I had a load of Nectar points on eBay which paid for the set! I’m intrigued by the technique as I have a rather special project to trial it on (which I will post here if it works!). One of many military modeller techniques we can learn from. -
Weathering suggestions for Mk2/3 coaches
Galteemore replied to Bumble_Bee's question in Questions & Answers
Excellent tip here. The ‘dot filter’ technique is one I’m planning to use in a few weeks time. Mig ammo do some sets especially designed for it https://www.migjimenez.com/en/oilbrushers/1172-light-fading-set.html -
Thank you! Always good to see work in progress: such photos have been of great use to me in my muddling efforts. This is coming on very nicely. Is that compensation I can see on one of the axles?
-
Would like to see some photos if possible please !
-
Excellent start. Beware, this gets very addictive!
-
Where does one begin to comment? Simply spectacular. Really evokes Victorian elegance. I can identify with the exponentially growing list of jobs...... This has been a huge project for you, involving new techniques such as lathe work. It’s turning out incredibly well.
-
Great stuff Noel. This problem solving is a key part of the modelling process. On my regular running route there is a very steep and unpleasant hill - I often save up a problem that needs solving to give my mind a distraction from the torment my lungs are in!
-
Yes - that’s him! Roy Grayson purchased 27 from NIR in 1970 and then sold it to the RPSI in 1980. Here’s the relevant magazine. - complete with a letter from one JHB Snr....https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/38423919/five-foot-three-number-25-railway-preservation-society-of-ireland Over 40 years since that photo was taken - and in 1980 Lough Erne was barely thirty years old.....
-
This was the handover in 1980. £5k it cost the RPSI then. Equivalent of £21k now. The planned (never happened) restoration was estimated to cost £15k in 2021 prices!
-
This is brilliant. Proper old school CIE.
-
Excellent stuff. Kato make good units at a fair price - I had a fair amount of Japanese N at one stage and loved the quality.
-
Very nice Jb. I’m sure I was there (aged 1 so don’t recall, but probably not far from the sales tent ! ). Lough Erne looks deceptively healthy here. By 1972 I have heard she could barely hold enough steam to move!
-
This is brilliant. Really recalls the western corridor stations I remember
-
Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive
Galteemore replied to Glenderg's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
LOL I liked those so much I’ve already posted separately ! Interesting details such as the sheer size of the larger vans, and the lightly rebranded ex GN open. -
-
Wow. Time travel to 1900. This is just gorgeous. Well done on the lathe work too. Sir Henry’s photobombing is also noted ! And I know what you mean about that scratch building list.....
-
-
Brookhall Mill - A GNR(I) Micro Layout
Galteemore replied to Patrick Davey's topic in Irish Model Layouts
Lovely. Little bits like the point rodding have a huge effect on a micro layout: you have to focus in on a small area so the detail really pops in a way that can be lost on larger layout. -
Legal implications of using IE/CIE/Dublin Bus Logos & Liveries on models
Galteemore replied to ShaneC's question in Questions & Answers
This is how it works in the military field ...https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/royal-air-force-loses-battle-control-trademark-roundel/199607 The basic issue I think is about protecting a particular brand identity, rather than common cultural symbols. The Union Flag is a common cultural symbol - the RAF was arguing that the roundel is not. And the RAF actually retains a fair degree of control as to who uses the symbol. Airfix (or its parent) will have an MoD licence for producing kits of RAF branded aircraft. -
Welcome back Colm. Hope you post more. BCDR tanks have been under discussion here of late so your fine work is making a timely appearance !
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)