Jump to content

StevieB

Members
  • Posts

    1,283
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by StevieB

  1. There is much debate going on about the future of freight by rail in Ireland, in particular how to reduce costs, increase profitability and attract more custom off the roads. I was interested to read the other day that the main reason for one of IE's customers at Ballina using rail was to reduce its CO2 emissions rather than cost alone. Currently the maximum length of container trains is 18 wagons, long by many people's standard but not long enough it seems. I was stopped recently at a level crossing on the Birmingham-Bristol line and a 26 wagon container train went by. Now if IE is aiming for trains of this length, then considerable investment in infrastructure is required since much of the line to Ballina is single track and passing loops will need to be lengthened. Is there the political will there, bearing in mind who actually owns IE? Stephen
  2. Thanks for that - does anyone have a drawing of the 6w heating van, please? Stephen
  3. Apart from the obvious differences in appearance, were the 6w heating vans the same length as the 4w ones? Stephen
  4. He has shown the same photo for each item for sale - very strange. Stephen
  5. Hi John I'm just a trifle confused - you have shown two types of generator van, the 3201-12 series BSKGSV and the 3213-3218 series BGSV. Is it your intention to produce booth of these, although they seem to be both the externally? Stephen
  6. Quite an impressive list of layouts, traders and demonstrators - same it's so far, it would be worth going to. Stephen
  7. Imagination is a wonderful thing, but just imagine how different things might have been if: 1) The NCC owned Derry to Strabane line had been converted to standard gauge, and 2) Dolomite had been mined at Lombardstown. Stephen
  8. I particularly like the additional cutout in the tender next to the loco - a distinctive feature that I've not seen before on a model. Stephen
  9. It's important to include when things finished e.g. withdrawal/conversion of coaches like the 60' 0" and 61' 6", and the end of particular traffic like CIE container trains. That way it becomes easier to model a particular period in time if that is your fancy. Stephen
  10. Your vans loom the part I'm planning to do exactly the same to produce a palvan - I've got all the parts, now I need to find the time. Stephen
  11. It's IFM's way of achieving the correct ride height of the buffers, 14mm. All the other manufacturers seem to fit over small wheels for their own reasons. I've been experimenting with the correct 12mm dia wheel, although every manufacturer seems to have a different idea of what is 12mm. I'll post some photos to show what I mean. Stephen
  12. Thanks for that. Stephen
  13. StevieB

    Liveries

    The S/T livery carried by 182. Stephen
  14. StevieB

    Liveries

    Those delightful MM models of the 141/181 class come in four liveries, and the nice thing is that they overlap time wise such that you can have B/T's running alongside S/T examples, etc. Did MM consider this fact when choosing the numbers e.g. can B/T 141 have run alongside S/T 142, etc? The livery I particular like is S/T with the IR logo. The same applied to the Cravens with some in S/T livery carrying a white stripe at waist level. Many thanks. Stephen
  15. Does anyone have details of the positioning of roof vents on the roofs of the Park Royal coaches, both suburban and main line, please? The photo that accompanies the IFM kit is very unclear. Many thanks. Stephen
  16. Very nice indeed -do you have any more photos of the early construction stage? Stephen
  17. It's as if some people don't read what is in posts. I've explained the situation I was in, I emailed MM and he fact is that is that MM responded to my request for help, good customer service! Nothing more to say. Stephen
  18. That's the way to do it if you purchase for a retailer, but private sales are a different. I had never seen any mention of MM spares being held by retailers, so I went to the manufacturer and got help that way. Stephen
  19. As with so many things, people seem to get different responses from MM. I had a problem recently with a broke buffer on a 141/181, and, after two emails to MM, spares came in the post from quite where I don't know. Very often you just have to both patient and persistent - they are humans like us, after all. Stephen
  20. I would most definitely be interested in both the SO and BGSV. What is the likely price, please? Many thanks. Stephen
  21. I think we've been here before - CIE Compartment Cars - What type of coaches? StevieB
  22. it also puts me in mind of the SECR 01 class. Excellent piece of work. Stephen
  23. Assuming that you mean the kind found in goods yards, they were much more relevant to railways in Britain than Ireland. If you search online, you will find photos, etc of them. Stephen
  24. The biggest change over the years has been from rigid steam locos running on flexible track to flexible diesel/electric locos running on rigid track - the terms flexible and rigid have to be taken with a pinch of salt but a steam loco is relatively rigid compared with a multi axle diesel/electric loco. This makes for problems running steam locos at high speed on modern mainlines. Stephen
  25. I was having a look at the latest edition of Steam Railway, where it said that Slieve Gullion had returned from Shildon not because it's repairs were complete but because the contractor had gone into administration! What is the world coming to? Stephen
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use