Irish Inglenook.

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Not quite what you have in mind, I’m sure, but you could try Moyasta on the West Clare. Two long roads diverging with a platform, and a short road for an engine shed, which needs to be brought up forward with the rest, which would then match an Inglenook. Upsize from 3’ gauge, you have potential for placing loco, carriages, wagons (forming up mixed trains?) and you can include some buildings? Sort of small version of Belturbet, say.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations M/Moyasta Junction/IrishRailwayStations.html

• Like 2

Have you considered Omagh Market Goods Yard? https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/negative-ireland-gnr-ireland-railways-464111290?popular

Appears to be close to an Inglenook ladder arrangement with four rather than 3 sidings off a single line.

760301578_OmaghMarketYard.jpg.3db2a62503afd500c0e19a7397607cfc.jpg

Seems to have handled a variety of traffic including ESSO oil and petrol tank wagons in additional to covered and open wagons

• Like 3

Ok Jb - my attempt at dissing the one horse town of Fintona has clearly backfired (and even the horse left in 57!). However, you are quite right - it’s a good prototype. The options are really to make it as a small station goods yard or as a factory setting. I suspect the former would allow more variety. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Galteemore said:

Ok Jb - my attempt at dissing the one horse town of Fintona has clearly backfired (and even the horse left in 57!). However, you are quite right - it’s a good prototype. The options are really to make it as a small station goods yard or as a factory setting. I suspect the former would allow more variety. 

I LIKE that! "One horse town"!

Perfect!  😉

• Like 1

Indeed - it was goods only for some 45 years! To make a shunting layout it would need to be compressed a good bit, I would have thought - from memory when I went there on an RPSI train, the layout was somewhat spread out. But a good option, as you say. Another might be Castleisland, Co Kerry, or Fenit. Both of those saw the "G" class on a regular basis!

Tony has asked for an Irish example of Alan Wrights classic Inglenook shunting puzzle http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-inglenook.html 

Basically a small goods yard with two points and two sidings that can be modeled as a self contained layout on a single baseboard with no hidden staging or fiddle yard.

Private sidings serving a Paper, Linen or Flour/Feed Mill are probably closest to this sort of arrangement in Ireland, Patrick Davey's "Brookhall Mill" is a good example.

Branchline terminals like Ardee, Castleisland and Fenit are a lot more spread out though a compressed Fintona would be very close to John Allen's classic "Timesaver" shunting puzzle.

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-timesaver.html

• Like 2

Tony,

Part of the chemical works in Wicklow would provide the shunting puzzle you are looking for with a little creative licence.

361839504_ChemicalWorks.thumb.jpg.6cd03b4b0d28034f91591f2e0d685223.jpg

The section shown below will provide the necessary sidings and the buildings can be used to hide the  ends of the sidings, whilst the loop onto the main line could be "closed" with a level crossing gate or similar.

1536352090_InkedChemicalWorksPart-MarkedUp.thumb.jpg.98411d35a7729ec65893ba11cf9f0e5c.jpg

There are still some buildings remaining, although barely at this stage.  I have some photos I took some time ago if they are of any use.

House 1

IMAG0016.thumb.jpg.c9fce83fb18bf133e7926b0c04674778.jpg

House 2:

IMAG0015.thumb.jpg.8071a9241a7935a101b6d3679840a2a1.jpg

Chemical plant buildings with bricked up rail archs just visible:

IMAG0012.thumb.jpg.32d9226f238e55d5829ee84df07a828a.jpg

IMAG0009.thumb.jpg.e9eb8643489b7c775ff1c969bcee9f7b.jpg

It's a location I had in mind for some time, as we do not have many industrial sites in Ireland, however to do it full justice, a very large layou is needed & I just don't have space at the minute.

Possible option?

Ken

Edited by KMCE
  • Like 1

My first 2 A Class are apparently on the Delivery Van today so whilst I'm sitting here waiting for them Tony, here's my tuppence worth!. I am building a small Isle of Wight addition to Glengarriff and Four Masters Bridge called Alum Bay which at one time was planned by Sir Sam Fay to have a direct link to them via a tunnel under the Solent. Southern England, the Bristol Channel, South Wales, the Irish Sea and emerging at Blarney Castle. Enough of this rubbish!

The layout would fit a space 160cm x 30cm (36cm gives a better depth of scenery) and needs 5 points. The photos illustrate it better. Sorry for the wavy lines on the cut outs but my hands are shaking anticipating the arrival of the 'A's.

My usual means of disguising the exit to the fiddle yard by means of a station overall roof is deployed and the GNRI had a distinctive design which would fit. You can even run a passenger service but coaches wouldn't be necessary.

5 points needed. On my layout the board is dropped at the end so that I can model the edge of the cliff at Alum Bay with a cliff railway terminus but the board could just be flat. Also on my layout the station is planned to link in with the rest of the layout rather than terminating in the fiddle yard.

DSC07240.JPG

DSC07241.JPG

DSC07238.JPG

DSC07239.JPG

DSC07242.JPG

• Like 5

Ernie (autocorrect), I appreciate your input and thoughts. I learner over 30yrs of modelling prototypes is that no matter how good the buildings and scenery were, it can only be 2nd to good trackwork and a well thought out operational plan. I have two layouts in mind- a shunting yard or a 4'6" diameter circular layout. Only problem with circular is after it goes round a few times you'll make yourself dizzy!

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2021 at 10:12 AM, Irishswissernie said:

My first 2 A Class are apparently on the Delivery Van today so whilst I'm sitting here waiting for them Tony, here's my tuppence worth!. I am building a small Isle of Wight addition to Glengarriff and Four Masters Bridge called Alum Bay which at one time was planned by Sir Sam Fay to have a direct link to them via a tunnel under the Solent. Southern England, the Bristol Channel, South Wales, the Irish Sea and emerging at Blarney Castle. Enough of this rubbish!

The layout would fit a space 160cm x 30cm (36cm gives a better depth of scenery) and needs 5 points. The photos illustrate it better. Sorry for the wavy lines on the cut outs but my hands are shaking anticipating the arrival of the 'A's.

My usual means of disguising the exit to the fiddle yard by means of a station overall roof is deployed and the GNRI had a distinctive design which would fit. You can even run a passenger service but coaches wouldn't be necessary.

5 points needed. On my layout the board is dropped at the end so that I can model the edge of the cliff at Alum Bay with a cliff railway terminus but the board could just be flat. Also on my layout the station is planned to link in with the rest of the layout rather than terminating in the fiddle yard.

DSC07240.JPG

DSC07241.JPG

DSC07238.JPG

DSC07239.JPG

DSC07242.JPG

Sorry to drift the thread somewhat but may I ask about that GN 4-4-0? Is it a kit? 

In terms of Irish shunting layouts, @KMCE of this forum did one of the Scalescenes boxfile layouts (excellently) in 21mm gauge, link:

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1