Class 111/ 071 with Model Shop Belfast Sound Chips.

Rate this topic

Kirley

Well it’s been a long time waiting for these sound chips but first impressions are they were worth the wait.

It’s my first time with sound so I’m only feeling my way around this wonderful addition to modelling.

I’ve had a go at another video but still the resulting techniques are not very good. The ability to use the camera in one hand and the controller in the other is a skill I’ve yet to master so please ignore the picture quality and tune into the sound.

There are lots of different ‘sounds’ you can get on this sound chip but I’ve only shown a fraction –hope you were not waiting for the station announcements etc.

Thanks to Gareth for all the research and sounds he gathered for this chip – I think he gets a mention in this month’s Model Rail.

Well it’s been a long time waiting for these sound chips but first impressions are they were worth the wait.

It’s my first time with sound so I’m only feeling my way around this wonderful addition to modelling.

I’ve had a go at another video but still the resulting techniques are not very good. The ability to use the camera in one hand and the controller in the other is a skill I’ve yet to master so please ignore the picture quality and tune into the sound.

There are lots of different ‘sounds’ you can get on this sound chip but I’ve only shown a fraction –hope you were not waiting for the station announcements etc.

Thanks to Gareth for all the research and sounds he gathered for this chip – I think he gets a mention in this month’s Model Rail.

Hello,

and how much is it???

I had a message left on my answerphone this afternoon from Gareth at ModelShopBelfast.

I rang him back...

He wanted to know which version of the 071/112 sound did I want... 071, or 112 - the horns and station announcements being different between the two variants.

Attention to detail or what?!? :D

The delay in getting this chip to market has NOT been of Gareth/ModelshopBelfast's making, but he has made good use of the delay to acquire different sounds to make the two distinct versions.

Can't wait for my 112 chip to arrive now!! :) :)

-Rob

Yes it is good and a good review-93 percent overall.

That's an excellent result for the model, 9.3 out of 10. It has reached the standards of the Baby GM's and they are among the very best of previously released 00 models. Well deserved and a credit to all involved in the manufacture of the models.

Rich,

Are the lamp irons a weak point on the 071's? Some of mine were a bit bent..........

That kind of plastic used on the lamp irons has some give in it and some gentle persuasion should help straighten them out. Sometimes they can move a bit in the packing process. Etched ones tend to get moved a bit during handling also. For details that are fitted during manufacture they do look good.

Rich,

The nice thing about the 071 is you don't have to take the cab of the fit a decoder. Many a lamp iron got crushed while refitting the cabs on the 141/181

I suppose I should clarify that the Lamp Irons on my 112 were misshapen on arrival, but it was pretty straightforward to straighten them out.

Referring back to the thread title...

My ModelShopBelfast sound chip arrived today for 112. It goes and sounds well, a minor criticism for those with lesser systems, is that some of the more useful lighting effects are well up the function key numbers - off the top of my head reverse reds are on F10. I'd sooner have lights and horns lower down the function numbers and couplers (that I'll admit I rarely use) further up. I said before that it 'goes' well. Well it does respond very nicely to throttle inputs, and the braking sound effects are subtle but VERY well done.

Marks out of ten? a definite nine and probably even better as I explore it further. Is it worth the money? Given that sound chips are expensive, and having got that out of the way, the answer from me is a pretty emphatic yes.

-Rob

Rob that sounds (excuse the pun) pretty conclusive for anyone thinking about going down the sound route. Have fun with it and well down to Gareth and co for bringing it to the market.

Rich,

Rich, Over the last few years I've probably fitted sound to forty -> fifty, British, European and American engines, covering both steam and diesel - this chip is one of, if not THE best available anywhere - it even makes a very credible representation of that bottom end chug that 071s make when they're being given full beans.

The chip is pretty much fit and forget for those that don't like tweaking - for those that DO like tweaking, there's plenty off facility for that too.

-Rob

I suppose I should clarify that the Lamp Irons on my 112 were misshapen on arrival, but it was pretty straightforward to straighten them out.

Referring back to the thread title...

My ModelShopBelfast sound chip arrived today for 112. It goes and sounds well, a minor criticism for those with lesser systems, is that some of the more useful lighting effects are well up the function key numbers - off the top of my head reverse reds are on F10. I'd sooner have lights and horns lower down the function numbers and couplers (that I'll admit I rarely use) further up. I said before that it 'goes' well. Well it does respond very nicely to throttle inputs, and the braking sound effects are subtle but VERY well done.

Marks out of ten? a definite nine and probably even better as I explore it further. Is it worth the money? Given that sound chips are expensive, and having got that out of the way, the answer from me is a pretty emphatic yes.

-Rob

Get some video up of that sound chip Bro :tumbsup:

Cheers for that Rob, much appreciated! A lot of time and effort has gone into making sure the decoder is 'right' We've been going flat out to get everyone's orders out and they are still being shipped as we speak. Instruction sheets will be landing in everyone's inboxes this evening as we didn't want to delay shipping to people. Will put up a more detailed post later.

Rich, Over the last few years I've probably fitted sound to forty -> fifty, British, European and American engines, covering both steam and diesel - this chip is one of, if not THE best available anywhere - it even makes a very credible representation of that bottom end chug that 071s make when they're being given full beans.

The chip is pretty much fit and forget for those that don't like tweaking - for those that DO like tweaking, there's plenty off facility for that too.

-Rob

There is no doubt that having fitted that many models with sound you know what you are talking about Rob. I've watched the videos that the lads have posted here of their sound fitted locos and it does add a huge dimension to modelling. Sometimes it's hard to gauge a sound on a laptop with basic speakers but they do sound fantastic. Very few locos have a roar like the 071's and the lads have captured the sound to a tee.

Rich,

Cheers for that Rob, much appreciated! A lot of time and effort has gone into making sure the decoder is 'right' We've been going flat out to get everyone's orders out and they are still being shipped as we speak. Instruction sheets will be landing in everyone's inboxes this evening as we didn't want to delay shipping to people. Will put up a more detailed post later.

Gareth I don't need any more arm twisting as to whether I should or shouldn't after what I've heard, once Christmas is out of the road I will be ordering one.

Rich,