Knockseo Junction

Rate this topic

Gabhal Luimnigh

14 minutes ago, derek said:

Excellent work Denis. That red oxide looks spectacular. And you have ballasting to look forward to😢. And you have a LOT of track.  Sooner you than me...............

I have never done ballasting before Derek so I'm kinda looking forward to it, there is lots of track but it gives me scope for lots of scenery and backdrops, I have no idea of the final look yet. 🤭

How are you applying the ballast Denis? Just laying it down, and then gluing or what? Spraying on glue? I use double sided tape, but I could be in the minority with that one. It makes for a lot quieter running of trains, but it is a pain in the proverbial as you have to build in the sides afterwards. Having tried glue a long time ago, I just couldn,t put up with the noise when loco passed over glued section. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derek said:

How are you applying the ballast Denis? Just laying it down, and then gluing or what? Spraying on glue? I use double sided tape, but I could be in the minority with that one. It makes for a lot quieter running of trains, but it is a pain in the proverbial as you have to build in the sides afterwards. Having tried glue a long time ago, I just couldn,t put up with the noise when loco passed over glued section. 

PVA/water mix with a few drops of washing up liquid, I forgot the washing up liquid firstly and the glue wasn't soaking through, it makes a big difference, if it gets too noisy I'll just turn up the music 😉

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

PVA/water mix with a few drops of washing up liquid, I forgot the washing up liquid firstly and the glue wasn't soaking through, it makes a big difference, if it gets too noisy I'll just turn up the music 😉

That's what I do when I hear funny noises coming from the car. Just turn up the radio😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Ballast finished, I'll give the PVA time to set and then vacuum the stray stuff, tomorrow I will start thinking about the background, buildings, roads, bridges, walls, fences etc etc etc, I love holidays 😅

IMG_20231218_192600.jpg

IMG_20231218_192605.jpg

IMG_20231218_192615.jpg

Looking forward to the bridges in particular. Cant think why😉. Looking good

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Two road bridges planned Derek, one stone bridge and one steel bridge that I got from a decent chap on here 😉

49ish meters of track ballasting is enough for one lifetime 🥵🤭

From experience I can tell you he's not the only decent lad on here....

• Agree 1