Alan's Workbench

Rate this topic

Tullygrainey

Strange isn't it, these things sent to bite us? Very much tempting providence, my own go to hasn't got such issues. Halfords red or grey primer, with either their matt black or gloss top coat. Going over sharp edges with both qun blue and permanent market pen before priming help reduce future issues of brass shining through. I rarely use varnish for transfers either...

If I get over spray or orange peel effect, then a bit of work with T-Cut soon cures the problem - and being naturally impatient, I only leave 24 hours between coats. Asking for trouble? Probably, but it has served me well enough for 60 odd loco kits and scratchbuilds. 

I have p!entry of my own issues (working on the theory that the final coat of paint covers a multitude of sins) and it seems very unfair that someone so skilful, organised and methodical should be plagued by paint.

Nil bastardo carborundum Alan - or something like that!

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Strange isn't it, these things sent to bite us? Very much tempting providence, my own go to hasn't got such issues. Halfords red or grey primer, with either their matt black or gloss top coat. Going over sharp edges with both qun blue and permanent market pen before priming help reduce future issues of brass shining through. I rarely use varnish for transfers either...

If I get over spray or orange peel effect, then a bit of work with T-Cut soon cures the problem - and being naturally impatient, I only leave 24 hours between coats. Asking for trouble? Probably, but it has served me well enough for 60 odd loco kits and scratchbuilds. 

I have p!entry of my own issues (working on the theory that the final coat of paint covers a multitude of sins) and it seems very unfair that someone so skilful, organised and methodical should be plagued by paint.

Nil bastardo carborundum Alan - or something like that!

Thanks for this David. Much useful advice here. I'd never have thought of gun blue or marker pen to deal with that perennial problem of paint chipping or wearing off sharp metal edges. I seem to be forever touching in those little bits of glinting brass! I'll remember that one.

I'm more able now to take the setbacks in my stride than I might've been a few years back. It's not the end of the world, most things are fixable and I have a range of vocabulary for taking the edge off the frustration😄

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Am wondering if the simple fact that I stick to one manufacturer for paint is why I haven't had many problems? Fairly sure Halfords is all acrylic. 

Do use Humbrol enamel for weathering, but am increasingly disappointed with the range and quality. Several of the co!ours advocated by Martyn Welch in his seminal Art of Weathering are no longer available and keep hoping that a revised edition might come out with some alternatives. That said, the cost of changing from Humbrol to say Tamiya would quickly add up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, David Holman said:

Am wondering if the simple fact that I stick to one manufacturer for paint is why I haven't had many problems? Fairly sure Halfords is all acrylic. 

Do use Humbrol enamel for weathering, but am increasingly disappointed with the range and quality. Several of the co!ours advocated by Martyn Welch in his seminal Art of Weathering are no longer available and keep hoping that a revised edition might come out with some alternatives. That said, the cost of changing from Humbrol to say Tamiya would quickly add up!

Agree David. Sticking to the same manufacturer makes sense and is probably the safest option. Mix and match can be uncharted territory, especially if it includes using both enamel and acrylic as well as different brands! Some of us court disaster. I'm learning from my mistakes, but very slowly🫣

I tend towards enamels for weathering too. I find the longer drying time works to advantage, allowing more time to get the effects I want, such as when using the common technique of applying a thin wash and wiping most of it off to leave 'dirt' in the crevices and panel lines. I've had the odd disaster doing this with acrylics, when the paint dried before I could wipe it off properly, leaving a very patchy, totally unrealistic result. I know it can be done but I haven't cracked it yet.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I use Railmatch enamels and Humbrol enamels with Johnsons Pledge to seal transfers and give a satin finish, and if I'm using rattle cans I have a selection of RAL numbered paints that I buy mixed from auto finishing suppliers with Halfords satin varnish. When using the Halfords varnish I use two light coats of B&Q PU floor varnish to seal over the transfers or they curl up due to the varnish attacking them. I wait two days for the floor varnish to dry so that it does not dissolve and then a light coat followed by a finish coat applied slightly more heavily.

The Halfords varnish gives a consistent finish and applies well however it cannot be used over enamel paints as it dissolves them crinkling them surface as paint stripper does other wise everything would get a coating

I have always found Humbrol dullcote comes out either flat matt or high gloss and very rarely satin as it ought to be sometimes fading from one to the other from one end of a model the the other however it is stirred, shaken etc. to the point I will not use the stuff at all.

Railmatch paints always give consistent satin finish, it is that there has to be a gloss coat for transfers that the top coat of varnish very rarely give consistent finish afterwards that causes me a lot of trouble.

I have to say inconsistencies in paint drive me bonkers. I'm definitely a builder and not a painter from that point of view.

Gibbo.

• Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

The patient has made a recovery. The builder is feeling a bit better too.  Plenty of time between stages to evade disaster and a better result with the airbrush this time. Paint was too thick before and the air pressure maybe a bit high at 15psi? 12psi used this time with paint like melted ice-cream. Rivets courtesy Railtec and lining from Fox Transfers. Phew.

IMG_0520.thumb.jpeg.2a8b710b5f792596c295e7b20ac52783.jpeg

IMG_0527.thumb.jpeg.c6f37389aece093c508cc2624c611fcb.jpeg

IMG_0540.thumb.jpeg.9efd3bfab72e036438b8e946827aeccb.jpeg

IMG_0556.thumb.jpeg.83e20df9d0f292ec71be37bfe8d57bfe.jpeg

IMG_0559.thumb.jpeg.dc6fa38bc5901b1c47279d2cd49d34d7.jpeg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 6

Patience is a virtue clearly ! Well done Alan. It’s really frustrating when you have been through the arduous climb that is a metal scratch or kit build, only to have the prize of the nicely lined and painted end product snatched away! This is turning out beautifully now.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/7/2024 at 10:46 PM, David Holman said:

...Several of the co!ours advocated by Martyn Welch in his seminal Art of Weathering are no longer available and keep hoping that a revised edition might come out with some alternatives.....

None of the Wild Swan modelling books has ever been revised as such.

19 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

On 31/7/2024 at 10:46 PM, David Holman said:

Yes, I think Tarmac is now quite elusive. Thankfully the general range of Humbrol enamels is more widely available again after last year’s lacuna.

Finally settled on a number for the BCDR 2-4-2T. No.7 was delivered from Beyer Peacock in 1896 and lasted until 1949. Number plates made from brass with Railtec transfers.

IMG_0561.thumb.jpeg.693024ce60c7e34f3c87b7f205b66e07.jpeg

IMG_0564.thumb.jpeg.9059ede7d8be6849b8f1903dffbf8c9d.jpeg

Some weathering of the chassis before it got a DCC Concepts chip and stay-alive. This all fits in the boiler, leaving plenty of room for lead in the tanks and cab.IMG_0536.thumb.jpeg.f50e36072fad026643fd093bcf2cf7e9.jpeg

Crew getting to know their new charge.

IMG_0591.thumb.jpeg.4cc897a811d3d7fcab2d838f935b8ead.jpeg

IMG_0603.thumb.jpeg.827e421719a819edeeb2dd21c37a1a9d.jpeg

IMG_0604.thumb.jpeg.c3a3b5545915046a0c5e4776f0916d07.jpeg

And we have movement,  though what a passenger working is doing at a commercial harbour, I've no idea.

• Like 8
  • WOW! 10

• 2 weeks later...

Had the great pleasure this week of letting some of my County Down locos loose at Kirley Junction, Kieran Lagan's wonderful and extensive layout. They're normally constrained within Loughan Quay's 6ft by 2ft universe so it was great to see them stretch out a bit. There were a few glitches with renegade couplings and buffer lock, which is why none are pulling more than one item, but all in all they behaved themselves. If you watch closely, you'll also catch a glimpse of Kieran's Baltic tank steaming through. A very enjoyable afternoon. Thank you Kieran.

• Like 5