Riverstown Coach

Rate this topic

Gabhal Luimnigh

41 minutes ago, BSGSV said:

Do you know if this a bad sign for the coach or is this just the normal state?

Indeed…… I wonder what a “train carriage” is, and if the writer of this drivel is aware that apart from not being specifically for this line, it’s highly unlikely it often - if EVER - traversed Claremorris-Collooney; and that it certainly wasn’t running anywhere in 1874!

That whole Riverstown thing was put together by people with zero knowledge, it seems, if anything you’d need to know to undertake such a project…. The coach would find a better home at Downpatrick….

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Niles said:

I've seen worse but paint can lie. Rare surviving example of a laminate open with running gear intact. 1468 I think, the only other is its sister 1463 stored in Inchicore.

I must assume it's been under cover. Where is it exactly now? Looks as if it's had a comparatively recent repaint. If a laminate - by its very name this being obvious - had been left in the open for some 30 years, it would have physically fallen to pieces by now. I did not know there was anything Five Fut Three there at all. They have a Brexitese railbus, sister of the much-loved RB3 at Downpatrick. Oul heaps! They brought over a working steam loco from there too; naturally all narra gauge. They loaid a bit of track including a curve too sharp for any railway vehicle to traverse, locked the lot up in a shed and off they went to leave nature to reclaim it all.

2 hours ago, BSGSV said:

Do you know if this a bad sign for the coach or is this just the normal state?

Inch flat moulding pulled away from the door frame, usually means rotting door pillar. Also door handle should be horizontal when closed. You would have got a slap on the back of the head, if you had have left a door handle looking like that.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I must assume it's been under cover. Where is it exactly now? Looks as if it's had a comparatively recent repaint. If a laminate - by its very name this being obvious - had been left in the open for some 30 years, it would have physically fallen to pieces by now. I did not know there was anything Five Fut Three there at all. They have a Brexitese railbus, sister of the much-loved RB3 at Downpatrick. Oul heaps! They brought over a working steam loco from there too; naturally all narra gauge. They loaid a bit of track including a curve too sharp for any railway vehicle to traverse, locked the lot up in a shed and off they went to leave nature to reclaim it all.

Ah... confusingly it's a different Riverstown (Sligo vs Louth). 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Riverstown, Sligo folk park

On 23/3/2023 at 5:21 PM, irishrailways52 said:

1895!!!

did they seriously think they would get away with that

😂

Possibly years referring to the opening and closing to regular traffic on that line, and an attempt to link that actual coach to the line in what is known in the newspaper business as the "desperate local angle".

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Possibly years referring to the opening and closing to regular traffic on that line, and an attempt to link that actual coach to the line in what is known in the newspaper business as the "desperate local angle".

A friend of mine was at the Clonakilty model village today, where they have an old Sugar Co. Ruston painted bright red and with something like a circular bin lid attached to the front to make it look like a "steam train".

Fine; but a plaque on it says that it was the engine which ran the train service on the Tralee - Fenit line! You couldn't make it up.

• Funny 1

38 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

A friend of mine was at the Clonakilty model village today, where they have an old Sugar Co. Ruston painted bright red and with something like a circular bin lid attached to the front to make it look like a "steam train".

Fine; but a plaque on it says that it was the engine which ran the train service on the Tralee - Fenit line! You couldn't make it up.

889B69C2-F524-4CD5-9428-F3BF5CC6EC5C.thumb.jpeg.6b42c9058625c3304ce1c2f35ba1d337.jpeg

that would be correct yes 

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Some dunderhead must have seen the pic of the then GSRPS Ruston at Fenit, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 6 and three quarters. And as a final insult it's gone full James The Red Engine.

Some of the information boards and public installations of railway related things in this country are comedy gold, wild assumptions from local "historians", things copied and pasted from Google. Fire any old rubbish together and it'll do!

There's a cast plaque, which wasn't cheap to produce, at Manorhamilton station riddled from end to end with spelling errors. It has to be seen to be believed.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

A quick search of "L&BER" gave me the Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway. I highly doubt they had any flying snails on anything. I also doubt that trains in Donegal would come anywhere near Bagenalstown. I also doubt that the Great Northern ran a standard gauge train on narrow gauge tracks.

Is there anything here I can't doubt?

• Funny 1

On 25/3/2023 at 9:12 PM, minister_for_hardship said:

Some dunderhead must have seen the pic of the then GSRPS Ruston at Fenit, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 6 and three quarters. And as a final insult it's gone full James The Red Engine.

Some of the information boards and public installations of railway related things in this country are comedy gold, wild assumptions from local "historians", things copied and pasted from Google. Fire any old rubbish together and it'll do!

There's a cast plaque, which wasn't cheap to produce, at Manorhamilton station riddled from end to end with spelling errors. It has to be seen to be believed.

Couldn’t agree more, and idiotic, disgracefully badly researched narratives even thrive in supposed railway preservation circles. Personally  - drives me mad.

So there’s little hope for “community schemes”, with extremely well-meant, but crassly and embarrassingly wrong “plaques”!

13 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Rlwy - a component of the Lough Swilly. Some graphic designer has clearly grabbed an image from somewhere and gone with it. Shame as it’s not the worst I have seen.

This was spotted at Borris, on the viaduct. I wouldn't mind but the info boards were very well done with heaps of excellent photos they must have sourced from the IRRS and/or the O'Dea collection. I didn't read all of the text but didn't see any obvious clangers in it. One 3D rendering got Borris station buildings pretty spot on although the train was depicted hauling some odd looking open wagons.

• Like 1