Derek's Layout

Rate this topic

derek

21 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Hope the Covid symptoms aren't too bad.

Thanks Dave, not too bad now thank God, but Jesus, Mary and the little donkey!, the headaches the first couple of days were chronic. Wouldn,t wish it on anyone, but coming out the other end now hopefully

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, derek said:

Thanks Dave, not too bad now thank God, but Jesus, Mary and the little donkey!, the headaches the first couple of days were chronic. Wouldn,t wish it on anyone, but coming out the other end now hopefully

There are still those who'll try to convince you its all a big conspiracy 🙄 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, derek said:

One last try......

And a couple of stills.. Sorry about the repetitive crap lads, but I trying to get a handle on this video lark. I am also restricted to this end of the layout as I have plans for the "old" part which this train cannot run on. More anon.

IMG_20230907_144718.thumb.jpg.7f802a000cd4597d1dadaa4fc7bad823.jpgIMG_20230907_144811.thumb.jpg.463d7dc22339dcb206d4c7b7a16b3dfc.jpg

Not too repetitive at all, @derek. If you do get that bad, and post the same photo ten times over, I'll be around to egg your windows. I know where you live!

😂

• Funny 2

On 7/9/2023 at 8:35 PM, Broithe said:

I understand that the current prevailing theory about that one is that it's actually a psychiatric disorder.

The Leeds thing is sure psychiatric- Nobody needs this much grief. Ah shur we,ll be back up next season. 🙄

• WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

Covid free today. Yip f***ng ee!  Ok lads, I have decided to rip up the old section of trackwork. The 1st radius curves were doing my head in. Only my 1970s class 37 and coaches would run on it so that was never going to do long term. None of the CIE stuff would be able to get to the station. This is the new track plan I am going with. The outer loop is 3rd radius (505 mm) and the inner is 2nd radius (438mm). The goods yard behind the platforms is a bit all over the place and probably never existed in real life. I was attempting to get as long a train as I could down each run of track while travelling to the engine shed at the back. Sorry if none of this is making sense. Basically, I am trying to make the longest possible "parking spaces" while letting other trains pass by. I am open to any expert suggestions here.  Nothing written in stone yet. Oh, and I am looking for suggestions for a new station building. Something in stone and only one story, as it will be at the front of the layout, so I dont want to block out whats behind. Images please or even a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20230909_135056.thumb.jpg.a7ef1e269ffca8ad3cb50bd0a35b4690.jpg

Jaysus! Dunno how that came out sideways. Anybody know how to rotate it.?  Anyway you get the general idea. Everything in red is staying as it is. The old inside loop did indeed turn out to be 1st radius(371mm) (I wasn,t sure before, thought it might be slightly smaller). But in digging out old boxes to store trains ahead of destruction work , I discovered this track. So Lima did have their own track geometery....360mm radius curve.

IMG_20230909_135449.thumb.jpg.8f735c3b4e5212a519e0de82d93b7340.jpg

And finally for now.....While deconstructing the old layout this little hamlet popped up down the other end. Looks like Patrick Davey had an hour to kill😀

IMG_20230908_185051.thumb.jpg.939031f9a6f1a96009b1513447f815e4.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/9/2023 at 7:43 PM, derek said:

Forgot to mention. Had more or less given up on getting my hands on any bubbles ever and forever, when a thought occurred to me -"Hang on! I know a man" And lo and behold he came up trumps yet again . Man should change his name to Mr A. Laddin. 😀. Him and that cave of his.Thanks again Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, derek said:

Covid free today. Yip f***ng ee!  Ok lads, I have decided to rip up the old section of trackwork. The 1st radius curves were doing my head in. Only my 1970s class 37 and coaches would run on it so that was never going to do long term. None of the CIE stuff would be able to get to the station. This is the new track plan I am going with. The outer loop is 3rd radius (505 mm) and the inner is 2nd radius (438mm). The goods yard behind the platforms is a bit all over the place and probably never existed in real life. I was attempting to get as long a train as I could down each run of track while travelling to the engine shed at the back. Sorry if none of this is making sense. Basically, I am trying to make the longest possible "parking spaces" while letting other trains pass by. I am open to any expert suggestions here.  Nothing written in stone yet. Oh, and I am looking for suggestions for a new station building. Something in stone and only one story, as it will be at the front of the layout, so I dont want to block out whats behind. Images please or even a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jaysus! Dunno how that came out sideways. Anybody know how to rotate it.?  Anyway you get the general idea. Everything in red is staying as it is. The old inside loop did indeed turn out to be 1st radius(371mm) (I wasn,t sure before, thought it might be slightly smaller). But in digging out old boxes to store trains ahead of destruction work , I discovered this track. So Lima did have their own track geometery....360mm radius curve.

And finally for now.....While deconstructing the old layout this little hamlet popped up down the other end. Looks like Patrick Davey had an hour to kill😀

Excellent stuff. For a small stone built station, try Florencecourt. Alphagraphix do a kit - just ensure you get 4mm scale one

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations F/Florencecourt/IrishRailwayStations.html#Florencecourt_20060620_002_CC_JA.jpg

• Informative 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:53 PM, Galteemore said:

Excellent stuff. For a small stone built station, try Florencecourt. Alphagraphix do a kit - just ensure you get 4mm scale one

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations F/Florencecourt/IrishRailwayStations.html#Florencecourt_20060620_002_CC_JA.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out.

On 10/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, derek said:

I wonder if Lima and Hornby both used the same measuring technique and reference points, or different reference points for the same radius!

On 10/9/2023 at 12:46 PM, derek said:

Forgot to mention. Had more or less given up on getting my hands on any bubbles ever and forever, when a thought occurred to me -"Hang on! I know a man" And lo and behold he came up trumps yet again . Man should change his name to Mr A. Laddin. 😀. Him and that cave of his.Thanks again Dave.

The @WRENNEIRE song:

• Funny 1

Oh, something I discovered while trying to work out what track I will need for the new part of the old layout🤨. The radii on Hornby track is anything but accurate. 438mm turned out to be closer to 447mm. 505 is actually 514mm. No wonder my old layout was all over the place. That and my approach of " drop the track on the board, connect them and you are good to go", didnt help🙄. I know most (if not all) on here, probably use Peco track, but just a word to the wise if any newbies go with the ol Hornby.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay lads. I need some help here. Was trying out the outside loop with the A class and some bubbles. Keeps derailing at the same spot, at an S in the track. I took out the offending section and here is what is happening close up. So is it the bubbles or the track. Track is 2nd radius. Very frustrating.

Edited by derek
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, derek said:

Okay lads. I need some help here. Was trying out the outside loop with the A class and some bubbles. Keeps derailing at the same spot, at an S in the track. I took out the offending section and here is what is happening close up. So is it the bubbles or the track. Track is 2nd radius. Very frustrating.

Simple answer, get rid of the S bend.

S bends are not a good idea anywhere on a layout.

Edited by amdaley
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Is it same wagon every time or do they all do that ? 

Tried with three wagons and they all do it

23 hours ago, Broithe said:

And, does it happen if you reverse one or other of the wagons?

Yes, the original problem happened going forward behind the loco. When I pushed them by hand ( in video clip) backwards and forwards, it happened both ways.

23 hours ago, amdaley said:

Simple answer, get rid of the S bend.

S bends are not a good idea anywhere on a layout.

I think I might have to do just that. Problem is I had planned another S bend in the goods yard. I tried the procedure with an S bend 3rd radius track and it went fine, so I might use that in the yard. Cant do it on the outer loop though as I dont have the space. Think I will extend the straight section before the curve, thereby letting me connect with a straight track to the points. Confused ?. I am confusing myself. Pics might make it a bit clearer. Its still very annoying that the  wagons wont run over the 2nd radius S bend though. Especially after pulling up the old layout because of derailing problems. Sigh...... Modern stuff being engineered too finely in my humble opinion. Older stock never seemed to present these kind of problems.IMG_20231030_115442.thumb.jpg.e36658dd67e49217a5fcd8d272c17045.jpgIMG_20231030_115552.thumb.jpg.fa2abe11bc91044891e9886ce47d7b37.jpg

I think that the couplings themselves have quite a small margin for movement. Some can't even tolerate simple first and second radius curves, never mind "S" bends.

Pushing or pulling them through an "S" bend creates too much lateral force, and something has to give.

You could try adding extra weight to test - I've seen something mentioned on here, maybe "Liquid Lead"?

The same forces will still exist, however, so they'll just look for a different channel to balance things.