Derek's Layout

Rate this topic

derek

26 minutes ago, Broithe said:

You could end the bend a few inches earlier and then have long single bend to approach the points.

Think I will just go with extending the straight before the bend, (as explained badly above) and then just have a straight from the bend to the points.

Edited by derek
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Is there any way of building in a large radius curved point, having a crossover before that, then having two shallower curves like this?

Excuse the crudeness but I'm not the best digital artist.

IMG_20231030_115442.thumb.jpg.e36658dd67e49217a5fcd8d272c17045~3.jpg

IMG_20231030_115552.thumb.jpg.fa2abe11bc91044891e9886ce47d7b37~2.jpg

The inside curve wont be joining the points. It will just loop back around as it is now. The problem is with the outer bend. I think I am resigned to the solution I explained. Seems simplest now. Thanks for all the suggestions lads. 

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 1:00 PM, derek said:

I think I might have to do just that. Problem is I had planned another S bend in the goods yard. I tried the procedure with an S bend 3rd radius track and it went fine, so I might use that in the yard. Cant do it on the outer loop though as I dont have the space. Think I will extend the straight section before the curve, thereby letting me connect with a straight track to the points. Confused ?. I am confusing myself. Pics might make it a bit clearer. Its still very annoying that the  wagons wont run over the 2nd radius S bend though. Especially after pulling up the old layout because of derailing problems. Sigh...... Modern stuff being engineered too finely in my humble opinion. Older stock never seemed to present these kind of problems.IMG_20231030_115442.thumb.jpg.e36658dd67e49217a5fcd8d272c17045.jpgIMG_20231030_115552.thumb.jpg.fa2abe11bc91044891e9886ce47d7b37.jpg

Hi Derek.

What you could do is put a left hand point where I have marked on the photo.

That would eliminate the s bend.

IMG_20231030_115442.jpg.7f551e926dc3cc6cef3ad6299a416358.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, amdaley said:

Hi Derek.

What you could do is put a left hand point where I have marked on the photo.

That would eliminate the s bend.

IMG_20231030_115442.jpg.7f551e926dc3cc6cef3ad6299a416358.jpg

Thanks Tony, but the problem with a points is that I will be replacing the tunnel I removed during my wrecking ball phase.🙄 And a points in a tunnel is just asking for trouble. Thanks again

7 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

You have @leslie10646's new wagons already???

Sure do. I also got 2 cattle wagon kits and a brake van kit. Busy busy.😎IMG_20231031_193653.thumb.jpg.795239d5bb62cffa40584eabcd972535.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, derek said:

Thanks Tony, but the problem with a points is that I will be replacing the tunnel I removed during my wrecking ball phase.🙄 And a points in a tunnel is just asking for trouble. Thanks again

Sure do. I also got 2 cattle wagon kits and a brake van kit. Busy busy.😎IMG_20231031_193653.thumb.jpg.795239d5bb62cffa40584eabcd972535.jpg

Mine are still up in Spain, waiting for Customs to let them through. Probably be a few weeks before they get here. Jeez.

And who did you shoot near the end of the video?

😂😂😂

On 1/11/2023 at 8:14 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Mine are still up in Spain, waiting for Customs to let them through. Probably be a few weeks before they get here. Jeez.

And who did you shoot near the end of the video?

😂😂😂

I can confirm that no neighbours were harmed during the making of this video. Only thing shot was the video itself😉 The bang was me knocking a piece of wood onto the floor. Frightened the crap out of me! You can see the camera jump, just as it happens😀

• Funny 3

19 hours ago, james1994 said:

loving the layout is it based on anywhere particular

straight out of my head James. If you look back to my first post on the layout, it explains it a bit better. It was really a case of what fitted originally. Thanks for the comment though. its looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment🥴

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Layout looking a bit more civilized  at last. Track "underlay" fixed down and the board painted the obligatory grey. The track is just laid loosely in place ahead of sticking down and the dreaded ballasting. Think I will "rustify" the track before sticking down this time. Bit of a pain to do after its in place. I have also put in a few of the old station buildings to give some perspective on what I am planning. Have to rejig the tunnel that was in the corner too. The old facings wont work with the new track radii. Busy busy....😀IMG_20231119_120054.thumb.jpg.3ada8d38d003360589421cb9a43245e2.jpgIMG_20231119_120113.thumb.jpg.7f399104dbaf3c1973a7dbec9d6de0a9.jpgIMG_20231119_120122.thumb.jpg.da9223be4ce1d8edc9fe727594cad751.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and started ballasting during the week. Outside loop is pretty much done, just need to fill in a few spots where the ballast didn't take to the double sided tape. "Rusted" up the rails as well before sticking down.  God I hate ballasting. Also, I used Woodland Scenics markers to rustify the track. Easy to use but they really need to supply more than two tips with each marker. The two I got with the last order are in bits even though the marker still feels half full of paint/ink. Or else they need to make the tips more hard wearing. Gonna have to order more just to get the fresh tips. End of rant🤨IMG_20231203_120102.thumb.jpg.d22093951e1d74e1252df3f44c950caa.jpgIMG_20231203_120144.thumb.jpg.e3242692eeb3302da3e176043b702e86.jpg

• Like 9

Lads, I am wondering is there a standard height for a platform to be above track. Is it just below carriage doors or is there a measurement set in stone? (pardon the pun). I need to begin my platforms soon and could do with some advice here.  Thanks .

1 hour ago, derek said:

Lads, I am wondering is there a standard height for a platform to be above track. Is it just below carriage doors or is there a measurement set in stone? (pardon the pun). I need to begin my platforms soon and could do with some advice here.  Thanks .

It works out at about 12mm above the top of the rail in OO gauge.

• Thanks 1

As the lads have said a new platform should aim to be 915mm above top of rail but in reality this can vary greatly depending on whether you're modelling an older platform or a lesser used platform. More attention tends to be given to platforms with greater foot traffic. .

Whether or not the track has been relaid and/or tamped can also impact on the platform height.

I took the photo below during a platform inspection I was carrying out recently and you can see the variation in the height of the copings and the height of the new vs old coping stones.

IMG_20231207_132449.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

22 hours ago, Barl said:

As the lads have said a new platform should aim to be 915mm above top of rail but in reality this can vary greatly depending on whether you're modelling an older platform or a lesser used platform. More attention tends to be given to platforms with greater foot traffic. .

Whether or not the track has been relaid and/or tamped can also impact on the platform height.

I took the photo below during a platform inspection I was carrying out recently and you can see the variation in the height of the copings and the height of the new vs old coping stones.

IMG_20231207_132449.jpg

THANKS FOR THAT . God, that platform looks rough. The ballast looks like something straight from a layout- brand new

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 7:57 PM, Barl said:

IMG_20231207_132449.jpg

Yes, quite the difference in heights. When you say inspecting the platform........? For what purpose?

3 hours ago, derek said:

Yes, quite the difference in heights. When you say inspecting the platform........? For what purpose?

Platforms, like other structures such as bridges and culverts, have to be inspected every two years. 

During platform inspections a track gauge is used to check the clearance and height of the platform relative to the top of rail. The track gauge/width and cant (angle) is also checked, as well as the 6 foot's (distance to next track) where applicable. 

A structural inspection of the platform face and the copings also forms part of the overall inspection. 

• Informative 3

On 9/12/2023 at 9:26 PM, David Holman said:

Few things are more tedious than ballasting!

Couldn't agree more David. I was seriously impressed with your tunnel face in Northport Quay, and I am hoping to fashion mine to look something like yours. Hope you don't mind. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that carry on😀. Prob wont come up to the standard of yours but no harm in trying.

• Like 2

The tunnel facings are coming along. @David Holman has nothing to worry about so far🙄. There is going to be a LOT of filling, sanding and then rinse and repeat. Ah they will look fine when the twenty foot viewing rule is applied (or should that be two feet?) I ran out of DAS just at the critical moment, so I had to resort to shaping a couple pieces of mahogany. Its why God invented paint. Should be ok hopefully. 

IMG_20231220_190733.jpg

IMG_20231220_190827.jpg

IMG_20231220_191000.jpg

IMG_20231220_191017.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1