Clogherhead - A GNR(I) Seaside Terminus

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...

I can smell the sea air, cresote on sleepers, and a faint whiff of coal smoke from the UG which has just left with the Dundalk local....... and is that a smell of fish'n'chips from that beaten-up oul van parked up beside the beach, down the road?

Mind those seagulls, by the way.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

19 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I can smell the sea air, cresote on sleepers, and a faint whiff of coal smoke from the UG which has just left with the Dundalk local....... and is that a smell of fish'n'chips from that beaten-up oul van parked up beside the beach, down the road?

Mind those seagulls, by the way.

And Norman Foster taking photos…

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Moving towards the endgame now, the fiddle yard board has been constructed.

37CA392A-817C-44B0-ACC0-9B8E0CC6C2C2.jpeg

Jaysus! I thought you were starting another one. In a way I suppose you are

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

I have just bought 48 seagulls.......

Used a selection of Dart Castings rabbits, ducks, swans etc. to keep viewers interested when exhibiting a small end to end layout 20 odd years ago.  

The different animal species were listed on the layout fascia.

Families with small kits used to get more entertainment out of searching for and counting the rabbits and ducks than watching the trains!

Rabbits and ducks have gone into hiding but swans have taken up residence for the past 10-12 years in the river on the Irish Narrow gauge layout

• Like 2

On 25/4/2024 at 2:30 AM, jhb171achill said:

Or wagons on a loose-coupled goods train coming into the North Wall from rural places…….

Possibly a watching trains go-by N scale model of the GNR Main Line across the Border or Craigmore Viaduct as a next project if Patrick has the space. Kids used to start counting wagons on goods trains as they emerged from a tunnel/from under a bridge when we exhibited a 13' x 2'6" N Gauge club layout about 40 years ago!

Alternatively watching/trying to count cars on American freight trains can help you sleep. Spent a week chasing/photographing trains on Donner in 2001 before we were all abruptly brought back to reality by the 9/11 attacks.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Turning out well. Hope it didn’t take too much fiddling.

It actually did David, I had to get my next door neighbour to come and help me lift it into the main house, it is now sharing the room with Mr. Weaver’s empire!

31 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Turning out well. Hope it didn’t take too much fiddling.

But I see what you did there 😂

• Like 1