Clogherhead - A GNR(I) Seaside Terminus

Rate this topic

On 6/3/2024 at 9:12 PM, Patrick Davey said:

The buses have moved in to the new bus staging area outside Clogherhead station, leaving their tell tale signs on the ground….. in GNR days a fleet of buses would shuttle arriving holidaymakers to and from the beach, a service which was reduced later on after a walkway was opened linking the station directly to the beach.  CIE continued to provide the basic shuttle service after their 1958 takeover of the GNR.

09584442-E6D4-476B-874A-E1EC24AC2177.jpeg

D306481E-877B-4BCB-9E64-6EC0610B72F9.jpeg

94A16651-522E-46F8-9039-BD1EBD3A9465.jpeg

1ABEB206-AED7-4BDB-B3A0-BFE0D9BFF70C.jpeg

Sooooo...... The cows round Clogherhead eat liquorice? Oh right, its oil from the buses. Your imagination is a thing to behold @Patrick Davey. Seriously, love the buses! Especially Cork Dry Gin. (The bus that is)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

55 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Still my favourite CIE livery:

29F4C30D-5A45-4B87-8C92-1D27F8D8CB42.jpeg

Fantastic! This is obviously a different day in April 1971; A3 was re-engined in March of that year, and A15 in May, so it must be April! Looking at the weekly circulars, that's the day when the two "A"s arrived, A3R with a mystery train from Wexford, and A15 with an Easter Monday special from Connolly..... so that pins it down to 12th April 1971.   (jhb nerd alert)

B125 failed on the Dundalk goods on the previous Thursday and was shunted in there, remaining over easter, and being towed to Inchicore on the Tuesday.........

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 3

Ah! That was the night when Crossley A30 failed on the Dundalk goods, and had to be shunted down to Clogherhead to get out of the way of a late-running "Enterprise", an AEC railcar set with Lurgan and Porteedown people and communication cord issues...... and B125 appeared to tow it back to Amiens Street...........

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Patrick Davey said:

JB I was thinking maybe a bit later, the branch would still be in GNRB hands until 1958 I think?  A30 would probably be devoid of her silver livery by then though.

Could be a through working from Navan and the Meath Road…..

• Like 3

The reference to the dance hall is a nice bit of colour and I can just see the evening workings from Drogheda… although of course Ireland’s premier and legendary ‘Ballroom of Romance’ was located on Ireland’s premier and legendary railway, within walking distance of Glenfarne station on the SLNC…..the movie it inspired in 1982 is still wonderful…. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

49 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The reference to the dance hall is a nice bit of colour and I can just see the evening workings from Drogheda… although of course Ireland’s premier and legendary ‘Ballroom of Romance’ was located on Ireland’s premier and legendary railway, within walking distance of Glenfarne station on the SLNC…..the movie it inspired in 1982 is still wonderful…. 

Pontoon Ballroom was the place to go in the West 'himself" cloven hoofs and all was a regular, but a reputation of always being a perfect gentleman towards the ladies. The local lads had no chance

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Davey said:

JB I was thinking maybe a bit later, the branch would still be in GNRB hands until 1958 I think?  A30 would probably be devoid of her silver livery by then though.

I was thinking it's come over from Westland Row - yes, Clogherhead would definitely be GNR(B) until October 1958. The odd loco was still in silver into the 60s; albeit in exceptionally dirty looking condition. Some went straight from that to black, without a green phase.

41 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Dang. Watched it all and not a Railcar "B" in sight.............

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Some nice acquisitions this evening, already looking very much at home!  Two of Leslie McAlister’s new CIE vans as well as a pack of the original IRM CIE ballast wagons.  I didn’t ever think I would want the ballast wagons, but since my current project stretches into the 1970s, they are a must - fabulous wagons!   And it’s amazing to think what followed from IRM……

5847115C-5BE8-4968-A6E4-6A5F787BDF46.jpeg

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

On 15/3/2024 at 1:23 PM, Patrick Davey said:

A few clips from the view of the driver and the passenger!

First the driver:

Then the passenger:

Now two trains:

And now three:

Great work by the IRRS in digitising this old early colour footage......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1