Wexford Model Railway Club

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Thanks to the excellent hospitality of Gerry and others today, while Barry Carse and I were in Wexford to do a book launch for “Rails Through Wexford”, I was fascinated to see the wide range of 0, 00 & N modelling bith in the club and also that if Irishrailwayman, of this group.

I was struck in particular by the very high level of work in the scenery, which I’ve attempted to capture here.

Absolutely outstanding stuff, gents; very many thanks again!

First, we’re in Wales…..

IMG_8213.jpeg

IMG_8214.jpeg

IMG_8216.jpeg

IMG_8217.jpeg

IMG_8218.jpeg

IMG_8219.jpeg

IMG_8220.jpeg

IMG_8223.jpeg

IMG_8222.jpeg

IMG_8221.jpeg

• Like 8
  • WOW! 3

………………………

Next, we moved on to Macmine Junction where we saw the Wexford Mail, consisting of a Park Royal, a laminate, the inevitable tin van, an an elderly MGWR mail coach. The Woolwich in charge had failed due to a dodgy injector, and had been sent in disgrace to the Palace East branch platform, while a goods engine had been commandeered from Wexford to take it on to Rosslare. Just as well the Fishguard boat is an hour late tonight.

IMG_8256.jpeg

IMG_8255.jpeg

IMG_8254.jpeg

IMG_8253.jpeg

IMG_8251.jpeg

IMG_8233.jpeg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 1

………………………….

Finally some rural scenes around both Macmine Junction and Rathmichael.

IMG_8257.jpeg

IMG_8250.jpeg

IMG_8249.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_8247.jpeg

IMG_8246.jpeg

IMG_8245.jpeg

IMG_8243.jpeg

IMG_8244.jpeg

IMG_8242.jpeg

IMG_8241.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

IMG_8238.jpeg

IMG_8237.jpeg

IMG_8236.jpeg

IMG_8235.jpeg

IMG_8234.jpeg

Finally, I would very strongly encourage anyone living in the south-east to join this excellent club. Friendly reception, excellent clubhouse and excellent layouts too.

Go see ’em at the next exhibition, details of which will be posted on IRM, I am sure.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 2

2 hours ago, Bob229 said:

Rathmichael stunning layout 

"Rathmichael" was on the exhibition circuit last year after some refurbishment. WMRC plan to do some work on "MacMine Junction" for next year's round of exhibitions. We are almost ready with a revamp of "Scully's Dock" and this will be shown at the Wexford Autumn Exhibition and at the South Dublin MRC Exhibition in October. All three layouts were made by John Walker.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

"Rathmichael" was on the exhibition circuit last year after some refurbishment. WMRC plan to do some work on "MacMine Junction" for next year's round of exhibitions. We are almost ready with a revamp of "Scully's Dock" and this will be shown at the Wexford Autumn Exhibition and at the South Dublin MRC Exhibition in October. All three layouts were made by John Walker.

Excellent looking forward to seeing  Macmine junction and Scully Dock,  saw Rathmichael at WMRC Apr Exhibition a great show. Fine work by John Walker

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

That must be some whopper of a spider!

Own up, what idiot crashed their delivery truck into the coach???

Like many an Irish rail vehicle, its quite possible it had an altercation with a cow...

There was an IRRS journal that showed the cow after such an incident, I don't think anyone will be modelling such a scene any time soon!

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Finally, I would very strongly encourage anyone living in the south-east to join this excellent club. Friendly reception, excellent clubhouse and excellent layouts too.

Go see ’em at the next exhibition, details of which will be posted on IRM, I am sure.

Agree 100%, I was fortunate to join a few years ago and have learned so much from this amazing and diverse group of friendly, helpful modellers. They manage to blend innovation and daring with, the best scenic traditions, and camaraderie and joyful collaboration.  I don't even live near Wexford but get down now and then to club nights on Tuesdays. There is a great popup restaurant in the car park beside the club house so handy for Saturday visitors. Like the Chinese they are a great bunch of lads. Was privileged to be invited to my first exhibition at their big layout show last May. A special time when a special group of people have been drawn together with an abundance of talent.

I would not be surprised if your new book was the inspiration for a large new modular layout comprising the principle south wexford stations including Wellington junction's beat loader.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

Like many an Irish rail vehicle, its quite possible it had an altercation with a cow...

There was an IRRS journal that showed the cow after such an incident, I don't think anyone will be modelling such a scene any time soon!

Ugh, out with the red paint and tufts of cotton wool, no thanks.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

I would not be surprised if your new book was the inspiration for a large new modular layout comprising the principle south wexford stations including Wellington junction's beat loader.

If I can eventually get Dugort Harbour to anything like that standard, I'll be very happy. What I like is to see just how much is going on among the scenery in the background. Those farming scenes are an absolute masterpiece, each one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GSR 800 said:

IIRC that was one of Bob Clements’ pics of an SLNC railbus being re-railed after the incident. Can’t recall exact details but think SL board had to cough up £50 in compensation for the baste. 

• Like 1

On 25/8/2023 at 8:02 PM, jhb171achill said:

………………………….

Finally some rural scenes around both Macmine Junction and Rathmichael.

IMG_8257.jpeg

IMG_8250.jpeg

IMG_8249.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_8247.jpeg

IMG_8246.jpeg

IMG_8245.jpeg

IMG_8243.jpeg

IMG_8244.jpeg

IMG_8242.jpeg

IMG_8241.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

IMG_8238.jpeg

IMG_8237.jpeg

IMG_8236.jpeg

IMG_8235.jpeg

IMG_8234.jpeg

Stunning scenics and track laying

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 27/8/2023 at 1:44 AM, Bob229 said:

Excellent looking forward to seeing  Macmine junction and Scully Dock,  saw Rathmichael at WMRC Apr Exhibition a great show. Fine work by John Walker

Great to hear that John Walker is still producing fine work after all those years, first came across John's work with his Ballinagee Layout over 40 years ago, the the time there was virtually no commercial support for Irish modelling, buildings, structurers, locos and stock were mainly scratchbuilt or heavily modified rtr.

The main exceptions would have been the Woolwich (Wills whitemetal kit) and re-painted Palitoy LMS corridor coaches, the steam locos which included ex-DSER 0-6-0  442 and ex-WLWR 2-4-0 290 (Enniscorthy Pilot Loco) were built in plasticard with Arfix tender drive and scratchbuilt non-powered loco chassis

Ballinagee1-1.thumb.jpg.cf42cbde258b4bd828da7f3c1d2bdb0c.jpg

Ballinagee1-2.thumb.jpg.3319ddb2082b27de324a44f8bc2a5fc4.jpg

Ballinagee1-3.thumb.jpg.1dfbe5100e6e35115b16016da6e9cf67.jpg

Ballinagee2-1.thumb.jpg.806ccb50ee2046bf964c501d8f0da7fa.jpg

• Like 7
  • WOW! 3

6 hours ago, Mayner said:

Great to hear that John Walker is still producing fine work after all those years, first came across John's work with his Ballinagee Layout over 40 years ago, the the time there was virtually no commercial support for Irish modelling, buildings, structurers, locos and stock were mainly scratchbuilt or heavily modified rtr.

The main exceptions would have been the Woolwich (Wills whitemetal kit) and re-painted Palitoy LMS corridor coaches, the steam locos which included ex-DSER 0-6-0  442 and ex-WLWR 2-4-0 290 (Enniscorthy Pilot Loco) were built in plasticard with Arfix tender drive and scratchbuilt non-powered loco chassis

Ballinagee1-1.thumb.jpg.cf42cbde258b4bd828da7f3c1d2bdb0c.jpg

Ballinagee1-2.thumb.jpg.3319ddb2082b27de324a44f8bc2a5fc4.jpg

Ballinagee1-3.thumb.jpg.1dfbe5100e6e35115b16016da6e9cf67.jpg

Ballinagee2-1.thumb.jpg.806ccb50ee2046bf964c501d8f0da7fa.jpg

Lovely to see pictures of "Ballinagee". It features in Railway Modeller back in the 1980's too. John's layouts including "Rathmichael", "MacMine Junction" and "Scully's Dock" have all garnered awards and plaudits over the years. They are now being carefully conserved by Wexford MRC and will feature in the exhibition circuit each year in rotation.

• Like 3