Irish Railway News ‘Enterprise Watch’

Rate this topic

IrishTrainScenes

55 minutes ago, Tractionman said:

Translink Twitter notified 'due to train fault' the 7.21 ex Portadown would be 'formed of 6 coaches', 2 x 3-car CAFs?

Yup..

Due to a train fault, the 07:21 from #Portadown to #Dublin will be formed of 6 coaches.

ℹ️ This service is being operated by a non-Enterprise train. There will be no first class available and no catering available.

08:31 ex Portadown is late aswell..

08:31 Portadown to Dublin Connolly due 10:05 has been previously delayed, is being further delayed at Newry and is now expected to be 40 minutes late.
This is due to an earlier train fault.
Additional Information:
Awaiting bus connection at Newry.
Last Updated :23/08/2024 09:28
Scheduled Expected  Destination
08:31 08:51 Portadown
08:53 09:33 Newry
09:12 09:52 Dundalk
10:05 10:45 Dublin Connolly

Forgot to note, on 10 August 2024 the 1120 ex Connolly failed in Dundalk.

On 24/8/2024 at 5:29 PM, Tractionman said:

yes, from Lanyon, but the Enterprise starts at Portadown!?

TT.thumb.png.a5c1827b2130a742161c30e36262c8e2.png

I can't believe they add 'train station to the names of the stations.  How is Dundalk only a 'Halt'?

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo in Dundalk

17 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I can't believe they add 'train station to the names of the stations.  How is Dubdaly only a 'Halt'?

And how does it suddenly change from ‘train station’ in the wee six to ‘rail station’ in Saorstat Eireann?? Some translation subtlety between Ulster Scots and Erse?

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

If NIR have decided that Dundalk is only a halt, then that clearly means that the only stations south of the border are, using the definitely-relevant statistic of town populations...

image.png.97f151990dcb4ed73ea64de051604f69.png 

Dublin Connolly/Heuston/Pearse, Cork Kent, Limerick Colbert, Galway Ceannt, Waterford Plunkett, and Drogheda MacBride. Dundalk comes next, and that's just some sleepy rural halt, unlike the hotspots of Poyntzpass and Scarva further down the line.

On an unrelated note, I'll be on board a truncated Enterprise tomorrow to tick off a few pieces of narrow gauge up the country. I'll give you all the details once I'm back at home.

49 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

And how does it suddenly change from ‘train station’ in the wee six to ‘rail station’ in Saorstat Eireann?? Some translation subtlety between Ulster Scots and Erse?

same reason the Irish Rail logo is blacked out on the 6-piece ICRs on the Enterprise, I presume..

On 25/8/2024 at 8:02 PM, airfixfan said:

Mainly railcars this week with only one DD set available next week!

I got the 10.53 from Newry to Connolly this morning (Mon), it was a DD set, train absolutely packed, good thing it wasn't a couple of CAFs!

• Like 1

You should have seen the crowds at Lanyon on Monday morning heading to Dublin by bus then train! Translink could restore the Enterprise service now for 4 weeks until GC opens to and from Lanyon. Trains using line from Lanyon to Lisburn daily except for passengers.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, airfixfan said:

8208 plus 9002 tested this morning York Road to Templepatrick andv return. Meant to run yesterday cancelled after a bridge strike disrupted Derry and Larne line services from 10.30

Yes indeed. I unfortunately missed the first run by about 3 minutes!!! But did see the return at Mossley West.

On 25/8/2024 at 8:56 PM, Colin_McLeod said:

I can't believe they add 'train station to the names of the stations.  How is Dundalk only a 'Halt'?

It is several light years beyond crass, unnecessary and downright brick stupid to have include either “rail station”, the borderline offensive Dundalk “halt”, and the illiterate NIR “train station” stuff at all.

Unless I’m a bit slow, what’s wrong with plain “Dundalk”, “Portadown”, “Lanyon Place”, or “Dublin (Connolly)”?

Are people paid to write out this rubbish?

And IE now have entire essays both on station nameboards and in timetables….

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

It is several light years beyond crass, unnecessary and downright brick stupid to have include either “rail station”, the borderline offensive Dundalk “halt”, and the illiterate NIR “train station” stuff at all.

Unless I’m a bit slow, what’s wrong with plain “Dundalk”, “Portadown”, “Lanyon Place”, or “Dublin (Connolly)”?

Are people paid to write out this rubbish?

And IE now have entire essays both on station nameboards and in timetables….

They're paid by the word?

Or maybe they're covering themselves in case some brain dead passenger turns up to wait for a train at Dundalk Bus Station or Dundalk Post Office and Twitters in on the Muskograph to complain.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

They're paid by the word?

Or maybe they're covering themselves in case some brain dead passenger turns up to wait for a train at Dundalk Bus Station or Dundalk Post Office and Twitters in on the Muskograph to complain.

It continues to amaze how many walk straight past illuminated boards telling train time and platform number, to ask anyone with a hi-vis whether x train is on y platform

• Like 1

Do the on train announcements say that “we are now arriving into” whatever the station is rather than “arriving at” the station.  The former suggests to me that the train will be hitting part of the station.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Do the on train announcements say that “we are now arriving into” whatever the station is rather than “arriving at” the station.  The former suggests to me that the train will be hitting part of the station.

Cheers

Darius

“We are now approaching [station]”

Well Monday's Enterprise journey was a bit of a mess: the 14:50 departed 40 late after its previous turn arrived 50 late, got held up at Fairview due to an incident on Clontarf Road, passed through Drogheda 70 late, and there weren't enough buses at Newry so I was waiting for their backup for 20 more minutes. In the end, I got into Lanyon Place 90 late and had missed two Derry trains. By then I was driven to madness - I started writing poetry about the state of the Enterprise. It's probably worth mentioning it was a CAF?

On a brighter note, my long trip to reach Fintown was worth it, and there were a fair few people on board. However, the Giant's Causeway train was closed for maintenance, so that one is still on the to-do list.

10 hours ago, Darrman said:

Well Monday's Enterprise journey was a bit of a mess: the 14:50 departed 40 late after its previous turn arrived 50 late, got held up at Fairview due to an incident on Clontarf Road, passed through Drogheda 70 late, and there weren't enough buses at Newry so I was waiting for their backup for 20 more minutes. In the end, I got into Lanyon Place 90 late and had missed two Derry trains. By then I was driven to madness - I started writing poetry about the state of the Enterprise. It's probably worth mentioning it was a CAF?

On a brighter note, my long trip to reach Fintown was worth it, and there were a fair few people on board. However, the Giant's Causeway train was closed for maintenance, so that one is still on the to-do list.

In all reality, it takes a world war to get me into a long distance bus.

Train first preference by far, but life’s too short for what you describe. I can be in Belfast several times a year for various reasons. As it happens I’ve had to be there several times recently.

Bus all the way.

Perhaps it’s a throwback to early memories of first class corridor coaches steam hauled, and silver service dining car, but I simply will not go to Belfast in a 29 or a CAF.

If that’s the option - bus.

I’m afraid I won’t go to Wexford or Rosslare in a litter-strewn, filthy 29 either; though while an ICR is light years better, they crawl along at walking pace - the DSER service, which could be SO good, is an utter mess and has been since the late 1960s.

With IE owning a port down there, surely they can employ a cleaner to swill out incoming trains at Rosslare Bus Shelter Halt?

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1