Noisy day...

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, spudfan said:

The Donegal Rally landed this morning. It's been a noisy day!

We often go down to Killarney for a few days eBike cycling around the lakes and the large national parks, we usually get the train down and 5min taxi out to the Lake Hotel for our cycling base, as its right next-door to Muckross Park, and 10min cycle into town of races to the National Park. One year we got a taxi from the train, and the driver quizzed us as to why the hell had we chosen to visit Killarney on the May bank holiday weekend because the lakes of Killarney rally was on. He exclaimed the locals evacuate that weekend so bad is the noise in the town and all the anti-social behaviour from some of rally followers with their baseball caps & coke can exhaust amplified Impreza pretends roaming and cruising the town complete with shopping trolly spoilers on the rear. I said we didn't know it was on and he barked the 'crowd' who come down to watch it all thought they are Colin McRae but in truth none of them could reverse a trailer into a silage pit. I said it can't be that bad, he barked the gurriers were so bad, 200 extra Garda had been sent down from Dublin to stop the idiots from wrapping themselves around telegraph poles and killing pedestrians. I expressed surprise. He enquired what we'd be doing and when I told me we came down for a cycling weekend, he replied "I tell ou now for sure, ou will be kilt schton ded if ou go out on wan of dem dam byeschicles, kilt schton ded I tell ou". Needless to say we were perfectly safe cycling inside the two national parks along the lake shore, but could hear the whine of the professional rally drivers in the distance. We didn't hear any of the shopping trollies raving their 1.2 engines at night as we were staying outside the town. I said to the taxi driver, surely all these young rally supporters bring good tourist revenue into the town, he said "Not a bit of it, sure day schleep in deyr kiars, and only  buy chips and cans of beer to eat, no money for the gwuest houses or hutels". Anyway we weren't kept awake by any of it, but notice d the heavy traffic cruising the town the day we left.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, spudfan said:

The Donegal Rally landed this morning. It's been a noisy day!

You lucky lucky so and so! Haven't been to see a rally since pre-pandemic. Any photos and videos? Since we're already in the off-topic section, they'd be allowed!

1 hour ago, Noel said:

We often go down to Killarney for a few days eBike cycling around the lakes and the large national parks, we usually get the train down and 5min taxi out to the Lake Hotel for our cycling base, as its right next-door to Muckross Park, and 10min cycle into town of races to the National Park. One year we got a taxi from the train, and the driver quizzed us as to why the hell had we chosen to visit Killarney on the May bank holiday weekend because the lakes of Killarney rally was on. He exclaimed the locals evacuate that weekend so bad is the noise in the town and all the anti-social behaviour from some of rally followers with their baseball caps & coke can exhaust amplified Impreza pretends roaming and cruising the town complete with shopping trolly spoilers on the rear. I said we didn't know it was on and he barked the 'crowd' who come down to watch it all thought they are Colin McRae but in truth none of them could reverse a trailer into a silage pit. I said it can't be that bad, he barked the gurriers were so bad, 200 extra Garda had been sent down from Dublin to stop the idiots from wrapping themselves around telegraph poles and killing pedestrians. I expressed surprise. He enquired what we'd be doing and when I told me we came down for a cycling weekend, he replied "I tell ou now for sure, ou will be kilt schton ded if ou go out on wan of dem dam byeschicles, kilt schton ded I tell ou". Needless to say we were perfectly safe cycling inside the two national parks along the lake shore, but could hear the whine of the professional rally drivers in the distance. We didn't hear any of the shopping trollies raving their 1.2 engines at night as we were staying outside the town. I said to the taxi driver, surely all these young rally supporters bring good tourist revenue into the town, he said "Not a bit of it, sure day schleep in deyr kiars, and only  buy chips and cans of beer to eat, no money for the gwuest houses or hutels". Anyway we weren't kept awake by any of it, but notice d the heavy traffic cruising the town the day we left.

Are you off the meds or something? What sort of angry incoherent rambling rant was that?

😂😂😂😂😂

Might sound like heresy but I have no particular interest in it! I watched the football instead.

Some years some spectators opened a gate to a field and parked their cars in it. Others saw them and did the same. All without permission from the farmer. The farmer got his digger and dug a trench across the gateway. When the spectators returned they could not get the cars out until every one in the field paid the farmer for parking in his field.

Another farmer had a similar issue. He locked the gate after he went in with a tractor and slurry spreader, ready primed for action. When the spectators returned he would not unlock the gate until he was paid for the use of his field. Some of the car owners got mouthy but the farmer said he would let loose with the slurry spreader over the cars if not paid. There was no slurry in it but water. However this would have had a nice slurry odour from the spreader.. They paid up.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 22/6/2024 at 2:08 PM, Noel said:

I was doing a coach tour one day these lowered-suspension 1987 Subaru idiots were doing wheelies up at Molls Gap. My coach driver was just about ready to run them all down!

• Like 1

On 22/6/2024 at 10:02 PM, spudfan said:

Might sound like heresy but I have no particular interest in it! I watched the football instead.

Some years some spectators opened a gate to a field and parked their cars in it. Others saw them and did the same. All without permission from the farmer. The farmer got his digger and dug a trench across the gateway. When the spectators returned they could not get the cars out until every one in the field paid the farmer for parking in his field.

Another farmer had a similar issue. He locked the gate after he went in with a tractor and slurry spreader, ready primed for action. When the spectators returned he would not unlock the gate until he was paid for the use of his field. Some of the car owners got mouthy but the farmer said he would let loose with the slurry spreader over the cars if not paid. There was no slurry in it but water. However this would have had a nice slurry odour from the spreader.. They paid up.

Definitely blasphemous to prefer watching young men in shorts before rally cars, but each to their own, I won't judge you!

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I was doing a coach tour one day these lowered-suspension 1987 Subaru idiots were doing wheelies up at Molls Gap. My coach driver was just about ready to run them all down!

Doing wheelies?!! Back on the meds, you!

One of the Toyoteros over in Las Palmas sent me this photo the other day.

That's me in the centre. That's me in the sunlight. Loving my religion.

2024-06-22 16.04.53.jpg

• Like 2

The hoonish behaviour of so called 'boy racer" has been controversial subject in this part of the World for the past 20 or so years with calls for increased police powers to deal with the problem. https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/350299104/increase-police-powers-deal-boy-racers-mayor

Interestingly existing police powers to seize and crush cars of persistent offenders does not appear to be much of a deterrent https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/06/07/were-coming-back-levin-boy-racer-organiser-says-more-to-come/

34 minutes ago, Mayner said:

The hoonish behaviour of so called 'boy racer" has been controversial subject in this part of the World for the past 20 or so years with calls for increased police powers to deal with the problem. https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/350299104/increase-police-powers-deal-boy-racers-mayor

Interestingly existing police powers to seize and crush cars of persistent offenders does not appear to be much of a deterrent https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/06/07/were-coming-back-levin-boy-racer-organiser-says-more-to-come/

"Boy racer" is a term used by old people and ignorant people to describe anything that they either don't understand or are not interested in when it comes to cars, and as such is nothing more than misplaced jargon.

There are car enthusiasts and there are scumbags.

The people described in the two articles are not car enthusiasts, they're just scum.

This line:

They can crush a car, but we can always go buy another one, it's not hard," he said.

No car enthusiast would ever ever ever say that.

I guarantee that giving the police the power to crush cars would scare the bejaysus out of any genuine car enthusiast. However, it would have to be reasonable. A blown light bulb or whatever wouldn't be grounds for crushing, but these guys literally racing on public roads, that warrants a good crushing.

We had that retarded muttonhead Gay Byrne ranting and rambling about "boy racers" years ago. Just pure ignorance. Old fart hadn't a clue what he was on about.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Drift Masters Championship was held in Mondello Park last weekend, an international event:
https://youtu.be/ZRMWTzxv5Gs?si=DzwdeebiyyNoniHd

I'm not a car guy - I can't even drive a car - and I can see the skill in the drifting. I feel for the lads after losing the business they built up & the car builds they lost in the fire:

https://youtu.be/e069XIFk9K4?si=fJqjTzPIJGS8iRrL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinner75 said:

Drift Masters Championship was held in Mondello Park last weekend, an international event:
https://youtu.be/ZRMWTzxv5Gs?si=DzwdeebiyyNoniHd

I'm not a car guy - I can't even drive a car - and I can see the skill in the drifting. I feel for the lads after losing the business they built up & the car builds they lost in the fire:

https://youtu.be/e069XIFk9K4?si=fJqjTzPIJGS8iRrL

Those guys are super-human, like the @Darius43's of the car world. Obviously genetically enhanced, some sort of feline DNA infused when they were in the womb.

• Like 1