Rate this topic

Irish Freight Models

Guest hidden-agenda
It looks like a 42er to me.

Irish Rail GM 218 at Carrigaloe.

Its on a 47' 6'' flat in these pics.

Sperry Unit Wexford  30 Aug 2012  D Heath

Close up detail of the Sperry Wagon at Portarlington. Wed 22.08.12

The end detail is may-be throwing you as there is twist locks still available past the 40 foot container at each end and the over hang over each bogie.

Edited by hidden-agenda

It is definitely a 47' 6 bogie wagon that the container runs on as has been pointed out. It would be impossible to run it on a 42' flat as there would be no room for the Hose Stowage and other boxes at the ends of the wagons. It looks a great model by the way Tom. Good luck with it.

Rich,

Thanks Fellas !

As has been mentioned earlier, look at the wagon overhang from the bogies, there is very little on the 42, but several feet on the 47, always a quick way to ident the model and prototype !

regards

Tom

IFM

That's what I always look for when looking at empty flats and it's very easy to tell the difference. With your photos of the Sperry I can see straight off it was a 47, with the angle of the photos I linked it looked like a 42 to me. I was starting to think that there may be two types doing the rounds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slightly off here but does anyone remember the old Sperry wagon that was around 2005ish. There was photos of it up on the old IRN site before photopic went down and a lot of member collections went with it.

It was a much shorter wagon and had a Mk1 GSV coupled to each end of it for brake force. There was some issue with the brake setup that required a cable running along side the loco to the rest of the train. The photo I remember of it was at platform 5 of Connolly station and was hauled by a single 141.

Slightly off here but does anyone remember the old Sperry wagon that was around 2005ish. There was photos of it up on the old IRN site before photopic went down and a lot of member collections went with it.

It was a much shorter wagon and had a Mk1 GSV coupled to each end of it for brake force. There was some issue with the brake setup that required a cable running along side the loco to the rest of the train. The photo I remember of it was at platform 5 of Connolly station and was hauled by a single 141.

The four-wheeler? Damn, saw a photo a while back but can't remember where. :(

When the Speno unit visited around 2005-2006, it was hauled around in a similar fashion, except it was sandwiched between two Dutch vans, with a pipe running from the driver's window to the rest of the train. The Speno, which is normally self-propelled, was hired from elsewhere in Europe (Denmark, I think) and had to be regauged by placing on two wagon bogies. I think this arrangement also meant that the unit itself wasn't equipped with train braking, hence the Dutch vans at either end.

When the Speno unit visited around 2005-2006, it was hauled around in a similar fashion, except it was sandwiched between two Dutch vans, with a pipe running from the driver's window to the rest of the train. The Speno, which is normally self-propelled, was hired from elsewhere in Europe (Denmark, I think) and had to be regauged by placing on two wagon bogies. I think this arrangement also meant that the unit itself wasn't equipped with train braking, hence the Dutch vans at either end.

Yes, that's the one. Thanks, thought it was the Mk1s and not the Dutch vans for some reason. Would love to model that train.

The 4 wheeler Sperry I can find pics of no problem from google. It was hauled around on it's own alright. Is that wagon still in the country or has it been replaced by the new Sperry?

Thanks lads. It's the Speno unit that had my interest. It showed up shortly after I got properly interested in Irish Rail in 2003 and always wondered what happened the vehicle after. Do IE actually own the SRS 242 wagon or is it on a lease?