New Ross line

Rate this topic

I was lucky to have traveled the line in a loco with my Gran Uncle when I was young. Taking the New Ross line at Abbey Junction, going under the Road Bridge, passing Glenmore. It was a lovely line, I do hope they save it in some way, it would be a shame not to. Last but not least excellent photos River Suir and thanks for sharing them. I think I will do it myself time permitting.

Rich,

No prob lads:tumbsup:,

I ve heard locally it cost €60K to clear the line and to get to this point, if i hear any more details i ll post it up here. Some of the bridges would need a bit of work but the alignment seems to be in good nick otherwise.

Even though id be sorry to see the line been lifted (some of my now deceased relatives were drivers on the line), at least with either a narrow guage or a walkway its future is someway secure unlike the in limbo status its had since the line closed.

If only my euromillions no's would come up:praying:

Edited by Riversuir226

Agree Riversuir its great to see the line is still largely intact. Imagine if a private freight operator was to come in there and serve New Ross Port - that may be a pipe-dream at present but if as long as the route is intact you never know what the future may hold for this line.

No prob lads:tumbsup:,

I ve heard locally it cost €60K to clear the line and to get to this point, if i hear any more details i ll post it up here. Some of the bridges would need a bit of work but the alignment seems to be in good nick otherwise.

Even though id be sorry to see the line been lifted (some of my now deceased relatives were drivers on the line), at least with either a narrow guage or a walkway its future is someway secure unlike the in limbo status its had since the line closed.

If only my euromillions no's would come up:praying:

Nice shots Tom,and thanks for sharing.

I would love to see a book on the 5 railways of Waterford

someday,and maybe it might raise awareness of the line

for preservation.Does anyone know of the EM50 trip to

Ballinacourty in 1990,as I would love to know what happened

after this trip as regards this line for retention as tourist line.

Looks like there was not enough money or will to save the full

line as the ITG were asked about the line at that time as well.

Nice shots Tom,and thanks for sharing.

I would love to see a book on the 5 railways of Waterford

someday,and maybe it might raise awareness of the line

for preservation.Does anyone know of the EM50 trip to

Ballinacourty in 1990,as I would love to know what happened

after this trip as regards this line for retention as tourist line.

Looks like there was not enough money or will to save the full

line as the ITG were asked about the line at that time as well.

Apparently, there was a group who were serious about a preserved line in the area and looked at both the Ballinacourty and Ross lines, i know they had discussions with some of the residents in the stations, i always thought that this led to the Suir Valley line.

There was also plans for a transport museum in New Ross on the Waterford side, if anybody remembers the Dc 7 in Waterford airport this was supposed to be part of it, along with the Drumbrody and some rail artifacts etc, there was talk of an A class doing runs to and from Waterford and up as far as the Red bridge as part of the museum.

Going even further back the Tramore line came close to have been saved by no less than two groups 1 waterford city/county offered cie the amount the line lost and the 2nd was an English lot but cie refused both on the grounds that theyd be operating a bus service between the city and the town.

As for a book on the Waterford lines, id buy it, and i d say it would be popular down here. Don t know of anybody off hand who would write it though?

Edited by Riversuir226

Great pictures! In some parts the tracks almost look alright, although I doubt they are! Maybe the sheltering of the undergrowth has given them cover. Yet in other parts you can really see where time and decay really has taken its toll.

Seems more like its going to be a cycle track. Would rather have the tracks left in situ, even if the line wasn't to ever re-open, which is likely. Some people may not understand that but the more you remove, the more history we lose and this country has lost too much over the years to 'progress', be it railway history or non-railway related things like historic buildings, forests, areas, etc.

I walked around the old station and tracks in Kingscourt last year and it felt special to have that link to what once was, even if the tracks were partly overgrown and the buffers were decaying. You didn't just have to imagine the history.

Its a pity you can't develop an old line for a tourist-related ideal but in some way leave the tracks there and make a walkway along the side of them or even if you had to cut the middle bit of the sleepers away, that you could walk between the rails a bit easier. But I imagine the health and safety brigade would be weighing in with whines and would prevent that! :rolleyes:

Edited by Blu Bianco