Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

No photos again today tho, the boys are on mid term so the layouts been covered in rakes of thomas and pals :)

Will get a little time tomorrow and hope to dropper and lay the per way sidings and a bit more throat, and start into the main shed area :)

Brief update of yesterdays 'guaging' :)

Apart from the assistance provided by Thomas and pals, the gauging train is a pocket wagon, Craven, MKIII EGV, Timber and Cement bubble - representing a good cross section in terms of length and width / shape of stock that will appear. I'm using this to test clearances and do some initial platform size markings :) (honest, not just playing :) )

Will get the final few track pieces down in the per way siding now and get some updated photos of the nearly finished throat and sidings...

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

Quick update now the weight is off the per way / ballast bank sidings. The station throat is shaping up now and is now fully powered, next I'll get the carriage sidings and this new per way area powered up, before laying the freight yard and main shed areas to the front .

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

Roughly wired up now for testing, but the first pair of Digital Cobalt motors have been installed and mounted.

I’ve used the foam sticky pads to mount them, the screws are holding them in place for the glue to go off.

So far I’m hugely impressed, they work great, very quiet, and the auto frog switching is absolutely perfect! Even little 040 and 060′s trundle over the point now without a second thought!

In the image above, you can see the little cutouts that come with the foam pads, allowing you to cover up the drill hole very neatly! Will look good once the point is ballasted.

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

Been a bit busy lately, but got upstairs for an hour today and got the freight yard basically down and foam backing glued down, and did a bit of a tidy and glued in some cosmetic missing sleepers, etc.

Over the weekend I hope to finish the bracing so i can push the boards back into place and tidy up the stock storage and get stuck into finishing the wiring (yay! :) )

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

You're right in the zone now Stephen. The rate at which you are progressing is phenomenal. I have decided on using Cobalt motors myself for the signals and points. I love the slow movement of the blades that the Cobalt and Tortoise motors deliver and it also looks more prototypical. I have used Seep point motors in the past and always found them to be reliable in operation and they do a great job. The fact that I am building my own track and I will be operating signals and points with DCC has been a big factor in choosing which motors I will use.

Rich,

Got the boards braced up nicely and pushed back into place and leveled.

Another 'invisible' job that needed to be done :)

Got a DPDT switch today too, so will wire up a programming track / mainline switch thingie and post it once done :)

Tomorrow hopefully will see the freight sidings laid and powered and a few hours soldering to bring the carriage sidings and pwd yard online also :)

Yip, it's nearing completion - only another 300 or so corrugated sheets for the roof, and then the 5mm ground sheet so that your track level is even. Have you finalised how you're going to finish the hard standing outside and inside the shed? I'm staggered at the progress, v. impressive altogether!

You're quick off the ball tonight! :)

That black rectangle in shot is the 5mm foam layer for the shed :)

Outside / inside I reckon will be a mix of concrete hardstanding, leading to ballast...

Am wondering whether to run pits along the inside too - almost impossible to find interior shots of the shed!

• 2 weeks later...

The hot weather kept me out of the attic last week but got up yesterday to finish powering the sidings and somehow some stock escaped from their boxes!

This week will see the shed sidings down and the start of the mainline!

image-1851100204.jpg

image-2158859436.jpg

image-559241786.jpg

image-1851100204.jpg

image-2158859436.jpg

image-559241786.jpg