Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Not a big update, got the foam for the shed glued down, tried shunting the MIR bogie cements ---- oh dear gods!! Anyone recommend replacement bogies / wheels for these so they can actually function as an item of stock rather than scenery

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

Guest hidden-agenda

Are the screws too tight holding the bogie,s in place and preventing free movement also place each wagon on its wheels on a piece of glass (mirror will do) and see if you can pass a piece of paper under any wheel as the bogie,s might be out of true causing some wheels to be up slightly off the rail.I hope this helps. By the way the lay out looks well.

Regards Gareth.

Cheers Gareth,

I've been running through each wagon one at a time, but I reckon it's the bogies and MIR plastic wheel sets to blame in general. Not sure there is an easy fix. Am wondering if I replace the bogies with nice modern bachmann versions with metal wheels, then glue the MIR bogie sides over them...

Having the same problem with one of my bogie cement wagons-so I've replaced the wheels with Bachmann ones and I've had no problems since,so maybe try that first,

Your layout is coming along nicely-that loco shed is the best and most realistic model loco shed I've ever seen-absolutely stunning,well done.

Might be the best option allright... I've got a spares box of bachmann metal wheels somewhere, will give that a lash. At the moment I just can't see (other than the give maybe in the plastic wheel) what's de-railing them :)

All credit for the shed to Glenderg - he takes commissions too ;)

Stephen do you have a back to back gauge. It could also be that the wheels are out of gauge on the axle. I was always of the opinion that MIR used metal wheelsets, all of the kits I have ever built have had metal wheelsets provided, a lot of them are incorrectly provided with 3 hole disc wheelsets and I used to always swap them for Alan Gibson disc wheelsets. A back to back gauge is an essential part of any modellers tool box and it is well worth investing in one. The wagons look to be weathered check and see if there is any paint on the wheel threads. A bit of oil in the bearings always make for a smoother running bogie too.

Failing all that Stephen go with the other advice and by some Bachmann disc wheelsets of the correct radius and you should be alright.

Rich,

Cheers Rich,

Will spend a bit more time with them tomorrow - all plastic wheels allright, which I found odd! :)

All my other MIR stuff has metal, perhaps it's an oddity of the bogie cements - they have an odd axle arrangement, will snap a photo in a bit.

Had a very close look - I reckon the combination of the plastic wheels, the bogies and my finescale track are the issue :)

Will look at swapping out the bogies I reckon :)

Stephen check the flange thickness on the wheels. If you are using code 75 track it could well be that the wheels are fouling the chairs on the track. If that is the case you should invest in some RP25 wheelsets. Another way to guarantee better running over the lifetime of the wagons would be to use a sub frame and attach the sideframes to it cosmetically. There is obviously something awry with the build of the bogies if it is not the wheels themselves as the track looks to have been laid flawlessly.

Rich,

They are ok on the straights Rich, it's just on points they've a problem :) I'm hoping to get time tomorrow to swap out the wheels for new metals ones and try that first :)

Stephen if they are giving problems on points then I would say that there is a problem with the back to back settings on the wheels.

Rich,

Stephen if they are giving problems on points then I would say that there is a problem with the back to back settings on the wheels.

Rich,

I have to agree with you there Rich.

Stephen get yourself one of these before you do anything else http://www.nairnshire-modelling-supplies.co.uk/oo-back-to-back-gauge-p-1479.html

all my MIR models I have no problem with their running they run as good as RTR

hehe, sorted the bogie wagons :)

Having sat calmly with a cuppa this morning and watched them very closely going slow over the throat - it was the bloody couplers!

The hanging bar was catching on the frogs / guard rails on the points. A little surgery and they are grand :) I plan to use kadees entirely in time, so that will help further even :)

All's well that ends well :)

Managed to also physically fit another 12 cobalt motors today and cut the shed track to size... maybe tomorrow I'll get the shed area wired and glues and start on the motor bus!

hehe, sorted the bogie wagons :)

Having sat calmly with a cuppa this morning and watched them very closely going slow over the throat - it was the bloody couplers!

The hanging bar was catching on the frogs / guard rails on the points. A little surgery and they are grand :) I plan to use kadees entirely in time, so that will help further even :)

All's well that ends well :)

Managed to also physically fit another 12 cobalt motors today and cut the shed track to size... maybe tomorrow I'll get the shed area wired and glues and start on the motor bus!

Delighted you sorted the problem Stephen. How many great inventions and plans first saw the light of day over a cup of Rosie. The Cobalts are my preferred option for operating points and signals when I get building on the layout. I downloaded the manual and had a good read (90 + pages) and they really are amazing.

Rich,

Well, shed track will have to wait for tomorrow now :) Ended up finishing the bracing and adding extra sets of legs to the terminus. Is all beautifully level and rock solid now. It was irritating me before that some stock would roll so now I can drop any item onto any part of the track and it wont roll away :)

I also used up 50 cable ties and tie anchors tidying the cable (yes, I am OTT and OCD :) )

Well, shed track will have to wait for tomorrow now :) Ended up finishing the bracing and adding extra sets of legs to the terminus. Is all beautifully level and rock solid now. It was irritating me before that some stock would roll so now I can drop any item onto any part of the track and it wont roll away :)

I also used up 50 cable ties and tie anchors tidying the cable (yes, I am OTT and OCD :) )

Well, let's face it, to get into modelling, one has to be a bit...precise.

To do 21mm gauge, definitely approaching OCD.

To try making masters and models from scratch....'nuff said. Arrrgh! ;-)

Well, let's face it, to get into modelling, one has to be a bit...precise.

To do 21mm gauge, definitely approaching OCD.

To try making masters and models from scratch....'nuff said. Arrrgh! ;-)

The obsessive part comes into play when the track just doesn't look right, and you keep trying until you think it is. Then you decide to model the point rodding pulley's and stools for the rodding. You know what I mean Des, because you won't leave the lathe until the master is 100% right, or the cad for that matter.

Rich,

• 2 weeks later...

With the kids off school and the 'nice' weather, have had precious little time in the attic the last few weeks :(

After a visit from Dartstation last week, I'm also playing with a redesign of the main loop, by taking the mainline through the partition walls either side of the stairs / access. This would allow me to keep the main loop on the level more or less, and use inclines for a fiddle yard under the terminus board...... so somewhat back to the drawing board as I much around with the options now :):) More updates soon!!

Oh yes, not a hobby, an obsession / illness / problem depending on your perspective :) But still fantastic fun ;)

No one will ever see the 'underboard' but I'd know if the cables were messy :)

Boskonay, that was Steve Job's perspective too. When he designed the Apple Mac, he wanted the motherboards laid out with an elegant symetry even though nobody would see them.