Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Here's a question for those more expert in the prototype!

My rearmost three sidings (in the photo above) are freight sidings. Should I ballast them, hardstanding them / combination of both?

My plan is to have a gantry road/rail crane over the closest siding, for transferring containers to trucks, etc, as well as some container lifter vehicles, but the sidings will also be used to house cement, timber, tara mines wagons, etc....

Any ideas?

(I guess I'm trying to be lazy about 9.5 feet x 3 :) )

stephen, if it was my layout, I wish!) - i would use a combo. ballast for the 2 inner sidings, as in the guinness and northwall sidings

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2860[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2861[/ATTACH]

hardstanding for under the gantry, as in ballina freight yard..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2862[/ATTACH]

Edited by BosKonay

Here's a question for those more expert in the prototype!

My rearmost three sidings (in the photo above) are freight sidings. Should I ballast them, hardstanding them / combination of both?

My plan is to have a gantry road/rail crane over the closest siding, for transferring containers to trucks, etc, as well as some container lifter vehicles, but the sidings will also be used to house cement, timber, tara mines wagons, etc....

Any ideas?

(I guess I'm trying to be lazy about 9.5 feet x 3 :) )

Stephen-your layout is looking great and starting to take a bit of shape.With regard your question,if I am looking at it right,then I would hardstand all 3 tracks up to at least or just beyond the buffers of the 2 nearest lines and then ballast the rest of the track as normal.I think this would give you a better area for scenario's,with lifter vehicles and trucks etc.

I think I've settled on that too hunslet :)

I'll cover the three tracks in concrete from the buffers to about 6 inches past the per-way sidings in front, then ballast the rest and run a road alongside the full length of the nearest of the three.

It should look ok, and give me room to 'pose' container lifters for photos etc :)

Me neither :)

I've decided on Gaugemaster ballast for the trackwork, it looks most like the wet, dark grey stuff I see on the tracks.

I'll then use woodlands grey and brown for gravel (like the patch above between the tracks (which will later be filthied up, dead bushes, some brown grass, etc) and unused sidings, etc.

Dry the Woodlands isn't as bad, but I'm stick going to use the Gaugemaster for the mainline and platform terminiii...

Ballasting is almost as much fun as wiring :)

I'm with you there Stephen. Are you finding like me that the height of the Woodland Trackbed makes it difficult to get an even camber from the rails to the baseboard level? I suppose it will get easier with practice like the wiring especially when there is so much to ballast. From a fellow sufferer.

I saw a great tutorial I'm going to try on the next stretch. It basically involved painting PVA onto the shoulder, then applying the ballast.

This lets the ballast stick to the trackbed and stops it rolling off or piling up (as can clearly be seen on my first photo above)

A little more time, but probably worth a go.

I need to invest in a hand held dustbuster thing too, to help recover the unstuck ballast :)

Any suggestions for back of the rearmost sidings? The shortlist at the moment is:

- Very low relief back of terraces with either tall concrete wall in front, or blue sound proof screening fence type thing

- Very low relief industrial / warehouse type buildings

- A mix of both above

- Just a big tall wall!

Or could do a 11 foot type wall, with some trees and stuff visible behind?

stephen, i would go part wall and low relief industrial buildings ...possiblily railway cottages pictured bedind a part of the wall - something like opposite inchicore. feck it, you could use it for stored unservicable locos waiting for the scrap man. or mark3's waiting disposal!

Any suggestions for back of the rearmost sidings? The shortlist at the moment is:

- Very low relief back of terraces with either tall concrete wall in front, or blue sound proof screening fence type thing

- Very low relief industrial / warehouse type buildings

- A mix of both above

- Just a big tall wall!

Or could do a 11 foot type wall, with some trees and stuff visible behind?

At the end nearest the station I'd suggest having the low relief backs of houses, with a red brick wall between them and the tracks. At the end furthest away from the station you could have low relief industrial buildings with a fence separating them from the railway.

Cheers lads, I reckon a low relief back of terrace with a brick and maybe sound barrier walling to the rear, and then taller industrial / warehouse type low relief with pallisade security fences...

At the bottom, I plan to create a 15 foot concrete wall, with vehicle gates across the back, for truck access to the yard....

More progress next week hopefully!