Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

From what I am reading I will need TPSW grids (pairs) before the buffers in the terminus and at every signal / platform end...., then again on the mainline at signals and in advance of crossings, etc.

Has anyone any good references, or photos of Irish AWS/TPSW stuff?

Stephen I have a small booklet from Hurst Models that was published for the placement of the equipment and it's use. I will scan it when I can lay my hands on it and email it to you.

Rich,

I've been experimenting with polyfilla. The problem is that the proper terminus concrete laid stuff, has the chairs and rail mounted to the concrete. I can't reproduce that look at all using peco track and filler / etc. So I'm going to compromise and use regular ballast in the terminus roads, and do a good job of the over-roof to make it less obvious ;)

From what I am reading I will need TPSW grids (pairs) before the buffers in the terminus and at every signal / platform end...., then again on the mainline at signals and in advance of crossings, etc.

Has anyone any good references, or photos of Irish AWS/TPSW stuff?

BosKonay, is the layout based on IÉ or NIR practice? If its the former then you won't need the TPWS / AWS equipment. IÉ uses CAWS, based on track circuits, or axle counters. Using the former will mean you wouldn't have to model track-mounted equipment, but if you were to model modern practice then you would have to include the axle counter equipment at ther end of each section, turnout, level crossing etc.

Hi BosKonay. That's a superb layout. Am loving watching the progress you are making.

The CAWS signals are transmitted through coded track circuits and are picked up by aerials mounted on locomotives, railcars and EMUs ( the driving vehicles only - not the intermediates). You can see the aerials on the DARTs under the driver's cabs. On the GMs they are also under the cabs but are a bit harder to see as they are behind the loco's skirts. There is no track mounted equipment in the same way as the TPWS has the grids. The only lineside equipment woul;d be the red/brown coloured location cases. For pictures of axle counter equipment you would have to visit one of the lines / station areas recently resignalled or new lines - eg Greystones-Rosslare, Clonsilla-M3 Parkway or Portarlington.

Hi BosKonay,

The two sections of rail in the centre of each track in the foreground are at expansion joints in the CWR. They provide strength and stability to the joint. In the background are what look like impedance bonds which have something to do with the DART power supply system. I think they connect the track to the earth wire of the overhead supply system. I'm not sure how they work exactly, but they are only found in the DART area. So, if you are modelling a non-DART area or a pre-DART time then you can ignore these.

I've got some of these.

I used the wooden sleeper one on the sleepers in the previous photos, and it did a good job of making them actually look like sleepers, rather than black plastic.

I'm planning to paint the 'steel rail' colour onto all the rail sides next, before ballasting and airbrushing with grime

[video=youtube;fxDNpUPZ-e8]

Works perfectly, it's code75 peco track too.

Some older wagons with low hanging coupling hooks can snag the rails on some crossings due to the reduced clearance, but the simply solution is the cut a piece off the hook uncoupler bit (as I'll be running fixed rakes with kadees on the ends).

So far, the track has worked really well, and the electrofrogs keep even short wheelbase locos moving well

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for a box of 3mm cube magnets to land from china and testing with the kadee couplers before I can ballast any siding I'll need uncoupling on.... this was mainly just to experiment with the ballast spreader, and see how it came out!

Edited by BosKonay