Moogie-69 Posted yesterday at 10:21 Posted yesterday at 10:21 New project time. GNRi QGT No. 98. Just got started today so still a fair bit to go, Using a Bachmann Class 56XX as a donor for the running gear although the rear wheels will need to be moved. Once I get the cad done I think it will be mosty 3D printed in resin, getting the details with a FDM printer could be a bit of a challenge. I'm having to work from photos as I haven't yet found any technical drawings of the QGT's. I'm hoping most of the dimensions are similar to the Q Class. 8
Moogie-69 Posted 23 hours ago Author Posted 23 hours ago 6 minutes ago, Maitland said: That looks nice.. now tell us how you print it.. Just break it down into components parts, water tanks, coal bunker, cab, ect. Majority will be printed in resin so that the fine details will still show. All the gray parts in this photo are resin, the white parts are pla filament. Filament is stronger but less detail, resin is great for details but can be brittle. When you are printing small scales, filament isn't an option but good if its 1:16 scale. 3
Maitland Posted 10 hours ago Posted 10 hours ago Recognised the (fighting) tank straight away, but couldn't remember the name. Whippet. As a matter of interest, what CAD program are modellers here using? I'm using Solid Edge. It's clunky and viciously complicated, it drives me nuts and it's going to send me to hell for bad language. And you have to update every 3 years or it stops working. But when it works it's accurate and the results seem pretty good. I've tried Freecad 0.xx - utterly hopeless - and 1.1 - less hopeless but hard to use, and the tutorials and documentation are very out of date. So what are the alternatives, good and bad points? 1
Moogie-69 Posted 10 hours ago Author Posted 10 hours ago I'm using Fusion, it's free for hoddy use. I also have Solidworks but prefer Fusion as I find it easier to use. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now