Waterford and Tramore and Mallow Waterford Line.

Rate this topic

patrick

It's a great read Tom. Wouldn't the Station building in Tramore make a great club house for a model railway society, with lot's of work involved of course.

Rich,

Man that would be class.

Im getting really tempted to model the line 3 x J26 from Des and away i d go :trains:. 555 was some engine a full month of August running on its own while the other two were out of service.

• 2 weeks later...

Some intresting interviews from Jack O Neill.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/transport/waterford-and-tramore-rai/history/

I met him a good few times as i live quiet near to him, a few years back we walked to Tramore following the line through the fields. The whole way out he had tales of characters, incidents & answered plenty of questions that i had. His favourite story was the rpsi early days and travelling to the north on his days of to be reunited with his beloved 186.

I was also lucky to know Jack Phelan and until the big move east in 2006 used to meet him quite often

Jack O'Neill was a lovely man with an encyclopaedia of railway history all stored in his mind, which is in my opinion the best kind. He was able to tell me about relatives I didn't know I had, who had worked on the railway. I often wonder if the road bridge at Jack Meades pub was ever intended for railway use, wish I'd asked him now. Did you finish the book Tom.

Rich,

Jack O'Neill was a lovely man with an encyclopaedia of railway history all stored in his mind, which is in my opinion the best kind. He was able to tell me about relatives I didn't know I had, who had worked on the railway. I often wonder if the road bridge at Jack Meades pub was ever intended for railway use, wish I'd asked him now. Did you finish the book Tom.

Rich,

i did Rich cracking good read, it made be a bit mad about the way it all ended though :mad:

I asked him about the bridge, he was adamant that it was for the railway, along with two others. I reckon it would have been like the Cork to Crosshaven line if it had been built.

Edited by Riversuir226

i did Rich cracking good read, it made be a bit mad about the way it all ended though :mad:

I asked him about the bridge, he was adamant that it was for the railway, along with two others. I reckon it would have been like the Cork to Crosshaven line if it had been built.

I've always wondered about Jack Meade's Bridge, it seemed so inconguous there.

What I can't figure is how could such a thing have been built for a railway that wasn't yet tendered/approved/defined?

Such a bridge would cost c.€5-10 million in today's money, where would this capital have come from?

I've always wondered about Jack Meade's Bridge, it seemed so inconguous there.

What I can't figure is how could such a thing have been built for a railway that wasn't yet tendered/approved/defined?

Such a bridge would cost c.€5-10 million in today's money, where would this capital have come from?

From Brook Lodge and it's associated corn mill directly south of the bridge. The river was dammed further south, which came downhill and drove the millwheel. They must have routed the road over the river to protect their source of revenue. There are some complicated gradients going on! Mill is long gone unfortunately. As for the railway, I doubt the mill owners ponied up all the cash for the bridge and embankments. Would have bankrupted them! Was there ever a plan to bridge between Passage East and Ballyhack maybe? Would seem like an extravagent and unnecessary route, but the madness of the early railway is hard to fathom.

I often wonder was there a plan to run a railway along the south side of the river from where the Tower Hotel is now, along the river passing Waterpark College, the Rugby club and the ferry for Waterford Castle. Would it have run to Passage and onto Dunmore. I must have a chat with the father in law as he is a local and knows every part of the area.

Rich,

As far as im aware that was the idea Rich, the line was to hug the shoreline down the estuary with a branch to Dunmore and the mainline to continue on to join the Tramore line. There was also a plan to access the city side quay and to join up with the south station suppose it would have ended up like the Wexford quays.