Plasser & Theurer RM90

Rate this topic

Hi,

I didn't know IE had one of these beasts! A Plasser & Theurer RM90 Ballast cleaning machine. As a stand-alone rail vehicle it is quiet an impressive bit of kit it must be said. Would make for an awesome model

These pictures were taken on Friday August 2nd at Limerick Juction. Seams to be a few other permanent way/maintenance vehicles hanging around Limerick Junction on that day.

Regards,

Tom

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (3)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (4)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (6)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (9)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (13)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (16)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (22)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (24)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (25)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (26)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (27)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (28)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (29)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (30)_sm.jpg

Limk Junctn Aug 2013 (31)_sm.jpg

You Sir, are a friggin Diamond! Love how you've taken the photos with an eye to make up drawings or a model :P Been looking for something similar! Clarity of the photos is superb, what are you using? Care to share what you're thinking of doing....? Richie

Thanks Richie, much appreciated dude.

I do have better quality photos if more clarity is required. But at 12 Megapixel/4.5 Megabytes each, I thought they were a little on the big side to be posting up here. All taken with a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 compact set to full resolution and automode (cos the camera knows best).

Ha, I wish... If only I had the time to build up one of these beasties... it would be pretty cool alright. Hopefully the detail shots might be some use to someone planning on having a go. Only got one side close up.

The series of photos down one length of the Plasser would make an awesome full length shot.... all photoshoped together.

Tom.

:drool:....wouldnt you love one of these?..........richie - oh richie....are you listening? bty fantastic pics there tom:tumbsup:

Ha ha, I know you're a fan of the yellow stuff Heirflick so glad you approve:D Im sure I've more photos of Permanent way equipment, nothing as impressive as the Plasser but still interesting. Will see what I can dig out.

Tom

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Ha ha, I know you're a fan of the yellow stuff Heirflick so glad you approve:D Im sure I've more photos of Permanent way equipment, nothing as impressive as the Plasser but still interesting. Will see what I can dig out.

Tom

Sorry to resurrect this thread after so long but I would be interested to see any more IR permanent way machines.Did any of these exist before the 70s in CIE/IR days?

Hi

You just reminded me!

I did this some time back and forgot all about it;-

The first photo is put together with scaling the photos as the curve of the lens with angle of shot distorts things at the edges.

The second photo is done without scaling.

Plasser RM90-00.jpg

Plasser RM90-01.jpg

Eoin

Prior to the seventies, much if not most of this work was done by gangs of men with shovels. Also, the technology of yellow machines has moved forward in leaps and bounds in only the last 10-15 years.

Another point worth noting is that yellow, as an all-encompassing and seemingly universal colour for anything maintenance related is a comparatively new phenomenon.

Actual tamping machines were yellow from the 1960s on, but related wagons, locomotives, crew carriages and road-based machinery wasn't; and staff wore dungarees and overalls, not day-glo pantomime costumes.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/railway-modernisation 1:39 Still in use in the 1960s the granddaddy of tracklaying machines "The Morris Tracklayer" was invented by the MGWR civil engineer in the 1920s and a relaying train built. The design was licensed to Morris Cranes in the UK and a relaying train built for the LNER.

After the Amalgamation the MGWR train was used mainly for track lifting on the Midland rather than relaying for the singling of the Main line during and lifting the Western Branches.

The machine was basically built to quickly catch up on the arrears of track maintenance after WW1 & the troubles rather than a cost saving exercise

Edited by Mayner

Hi

You just reminded me!

The photo is put together with scaling the photos as the curve of the lens with angle of shot distorts things at the edges.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19776[/ATTACH]

Eoin

Pretty good going there, Eoin. Looks like about a dozen merged photos. Always hated doing panoramas due to the distortion and lighting variations.

Great videos, John. This must have been one of the first PW vehicles after jhb's MOW gangs. No model though, I guess. Would be great from this era. Still hoping for some info on other PW vehicles that were in use by IR to see if something out there could be re-decal'd to fit.

Edited by DiveController