Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

Seriously good stuff Nelson. It is great to see you make the extra effort to convert /scratchbuild wagons, rather than rely on commercial clones. It is what modelling the Irish scene is all about & I sense a real momentum for this on other folk's pages too. Long may it continue.

Hello everyone,

Since school work and exams are slowing things down, I decided to do a small project, a small photographic plank. This would be my first proper attempt at any thing like this, ignore the white bits in the pics below that's just the PVA, it hasn't completely dried yet. I'm thinking about varnishing the wood, what do we think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

Add a backscene, Nelson. Only needs to be a bit higher than your stock, but will make a very effective place to photograph all that fine stock you are building. Could be something you draw/paint yourself or a bit of landscape photo. There are some commercial pics out there [some better than others], but making your own should be well within your capabilities. You'll be in good company too. Master modeller and weathering expert Martyn Welch has long used something similar, as many photos in Model Railway Journal testify.

The 'plank' works well by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

This is my recently finished Dapol coach kit which has been painted into the UTA livery, although not 100% accurate it is close enough for me as I have no carriges to run with my engines.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm sorry for the bad cropped photos, I only took quick shots, next to come over the next number of weeks are 6 more GNRI resin kits and a NCC U2.

Many thanks

Nelson

Thanks Nelson,I think the railtec ones are overscale,so you may want to confirm that before making any purchases.There is a company that does bus transfers which I am sure also does the UTA crests which are the correct scale for the coaches,but for the life of me I cant remember their name,I was hoping that was where you had got yours from!Your friends crests look great,pity he did not have some more!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Since my last post (the UTA carriage) there has been nothing new im ashamed to say on the workbench, basically because of school work etc... And all this fine weather but hopefully when the summer holidays come then ill be able to get back to proper modelling, last week I decoded to build a italeri panzer 3,

Here it is, the Panzer III (3) by italeri, this is a nice simple kit, there's nothing really hard to do it but there is a large scope for detail.

Last year I built one (as seen below) and I think it turned out quite well, but now I've got another kit of the exact same model but this time I'm going to see if I've improved in any way and see if it can be better than my first one.

I've modified the commanders hatch so that it is now open, and I've also added battle damage but I'll show yous that when I've painted the tank in the next update, I'm going to leave it unmarked that way if I have a plan for a diorama in the future the. I won't have to worry about incorrect markings.

To go along with the tank I've got 3 German panzer crew figures and they will be painted and placed on the tank to look as if they have stopped and are talking to eachother.

image.jpg

Last years model :)

image.jpg

Modified commanders hatch.

I know not everyone will be interested on this but I thought I might as well keep yous all updated.

Thanks for reading,

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Dunluce Castle