Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Mock exams are over and I have about a month of freedom now until the next exams are up, but for the past few slow months I've been working on this, it's a 2P conversion into a NCC U2 class, one of the early ones with extended cab roof, and she is in UTA experimental olive Green livery, I've used railmatch paints and lining transfers for the lining, even tho I did buy a lining pen it wasn't very successful so I'll need more practise with it, but until then it's transfers for now. Only 1 U2 class was painted in this livery and it was very short lived, the other 2 locos that received experimental green were a mogul and jeep, all 3 locos done in differnt shades of green. The loco is now ready to go back to it's original owner.

Sorry for the poor quality of pics, dunno what's up with the camera.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 1

As you mentioned, Nelson, various shades of green - all very short lived - were tried on several locomotives. While there may now be controversy about what exact shades they were, I understand that one - probably "Jeep" No. 5 - was an apple-green shade, considerably lighter than the olive green. I think it had black and white lining, with a white or cream "U T" on the side tanks but no crest. Your (excellent) U2 would look extremely well alongside a lighter green WT!

(There's a new project!)

Thank you David ^

Hello fellow modellers,

Just a real short update, I think this is my first parkside dundas kit and I'm already lovin them haha, this one went together superb and having the bearings/wheels included makes life alot easier :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks

Nelson

Disclaimer: yes it's the wrong colour and yes the lettering is incorrect, but rule 1 :)

Thank you Hunslet, I'm currently undertaking a conversion of a C class into a GNRI PG class, but I don't see it being finished anytime soon, I still need to collect a lot of parts to make it happen. But in the meantime I've been working away on some wagons which just need a day of good weather so I can spray them.

Nelson,that is going to be a good looking loco, thanks for posting, please keep us up to speed. I admire your nerve if that was a brand new model! "cos I havnt seen a s/hand C class over here at a sensible price.

I agree with David, start on a simple etched kit to get the feel of things and you will be away!

Lovely work Nelson. The Parkside wagons are great. There was a great piece in one of the recent Scalefour news mags about the company. There were lot's of photos of tooling and how the tooling is designed and built. Also the injection moulding process and how the finished piece looks. To think that the fire could have destroyed it all doesn't warrant thinking about. The wagons you have built are still the main kit built wagons to be seen on P4 layouts, and I think that is a great testament to their quality.

Rich,

Thanks enniscorthyman ^

Here's a sneak preview of the engine I've been working on whilst waiting for some good weather to spray.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17448[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17449[/ATTACH]

Nelson

Edit: there's still alot of work to do, no where near finished incase anyone was wondering :)

Very neat work Nelson the sand box shout out GNR. The GBL T9 might be an in expensive basis for a GNR Q or S Class or even a GSWR Coey 4-4-0, a few appear to have been kitbashed into Caley and Highland classes

Edited by Mayner

This is a superb job. It would worth, perhaps, a new thread to identify RTR locos or easy-to-make loco kits which could be kitbashed to represent Irish prototypes. We're all aware of, for example, numerous LMS, BR, or other 2.6.4T locos which have been turned into very credible looking NCC "Jeeps". I saw - somewhere - pictures of a brilliant looking GSWR "J15" wise origins were, I think, a Hornby loco of LNER extraction. There's the LMS "Jinty", of course, and the "Woolwich", and perhaps a Brighton "Terrier" might provide the basis for GSR Nos. 90 or 100?

Any more?

Very true, Nelson. The other thing is finance. It would seem a pity to all but the bravest, to "butcher" a possibly expensive scale models something into what is in effect not a strictly accurate Irish model!

Possibly a matter best decided by the individual's perception of their own scratch building skills. You - for one - would have nothing to worry about on that front! :-)

Hello Everyone,

The weather still isn't being too kind so I've just been sitting inside converting this GBL C class static model into a motorised GNRI PG class engine, the work included cutting through the footplate hollowing out the boiler and and cutting away the cab and cylinder covers. I've rearranged the splashers and added more sandboxes. The Tender has also been shortened and interior added. The engine Is still far from being finished but it's starting to take shape.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks

Nelson