Nelson's Workbench

Rate this topic

Dunluce Castle

Hello everyone,

Sorry it took so long to get pictures of the finished wagon but here they are now,

Once the couplings (dapol) were added, I then painted the wheels in a rusty grey/red colour and also I painted the wagon plate white on the solebar and the end of the brake lever white also. The transfers are HMRS LMS wagon transfers and they handle really well, a suitable running number has yet to be added.

The rust and wheels may look a little bright, but in person they look fine.

You might also see in the background another Cambrian wagon kit, this will hopefully be finished next week.

Many thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

Excellent detail. Apart from dirt, another detail which you might like is that particularly in the 1950s / 60s, and more so on UTA than CIE, when wagons were repaired they would put in new planks which could variously be newly painted (unlike the rest of the wagon in filthy and faded paint!), or painted a different colour (maybe off a similar scrapped wagon), or not painted at all.

In the 1970s one might see standard CIE "H" vans still in grey but with one or more brown doors, or vice versa. I saw one in Ballina in brown with one grey door, one brown.

The UTA often just put a quick wash of cheap grey paint over GNR, NCC or BCDR liveried wagons it inherited. Inevitably this faded and the original colour, lettering and numerals would very clearly show through. At least one ex-GNR brake van on the UTA just ha a blob of fresh grey paint painted over the large "G" and "N"; another blob covered the GNR number, and had "U T" and their number painted onto it. The rest of the van was untouched. Ironwork was rusting and the GNR grey paint had just become a nondescript shade of greyish dirty shade, with more weathering than all the weatherers on IRM could throw at it!

I can't help feeling that black and white pictures of wagons in this state, in which the rusting ironwork looked darker, gave rise to the assumption when looking at old pics that the ironwork is black. For a modeller, think seriously heavy rusting on metal which was originally painted the same grey as a body.

Hello everyone,

Whilst major surgery is going on with the hurst Nelson wagon (body joins) I thought I might tell you what I bought at model rail Scotland and what's to come very soon.

The kits:

1) Cambrian LMS 12ton van

2) Cambrian 7 plank owner wagon

3.) Cambrian LNER 6 plank wagon

4) Cambrian 7 plank coke private owner wagon (with railings along the top)

5) Parkside Dundas LNER 5 plank wagon

6) Parkside Dundas BR 12 ton pipe wagon

7) Parkside Dundas 8 plank coal wagon

And I also managed to pick up some white metal coupling hooks, point rodding, ballast and other small things. So I managed to tick off nearly everything on my list. So all of the above is what you'll expect to see in the upcoming months (hopefully).

I also picked up a rather nicely painted Bachmann wagon but the coal load needs to be replaced and the paintwork fixed a small bit and other details are needed to be added, this is only going to take a couple of hours so it's a nice small project, picked it up for £4, not too bad I think.

Here's some pics of the wagon in the condition I bought it and once repairs are done ill take more pics.

Many thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nelson, if you were doing NCC, initially (pre war) it was large lettering, not unlike your model, but slightly smaller. Underneath was about a third the height, "N C C", both centrally placed. Later, small letters of all same size were placed lower down on the wagon corner, just above the running number, and this had

L M S

N C C

...arranged like that.

I think it corresponded with a change in England from the version on your wagon to just LMS in small letters above the running number. In England they didn't use the cast number plates they had here. Those were inherited, and continued, from the Belfast & Northern Counties Railway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not updating sooner, but here it is, the completed hurst Nelson wagon and bachmann wagon.

A fair amount of filing and cutting down had to be done, mainly because I glued the buffer beam/headstocks too far back resulting in the solebars and body being too long, but here it is completed, I was planing to have it empty but I didn't like the colour of the inside wood so I jus added a coal load and personally i think it looks more better with the coal load added.

I followed the instructions and left out the brake gear on one side and painted per instructions, the strapping took ages to complete but I like the finished look of it, it stands out from the rest of the wagons.

Weathering consited of some rust and oil stains to the Underframe and a light weathering coat applied to the body.

Now the bachmann wagon, all I did to this was added some real coal and repainted the Underframe, looks much better than before in my eyes,

Also what I am currently beginning work on is a GNRI resin cattle wagon kit,

Many thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the lack of update over the weekend, I haven't been feeling too well lately but I am feeling a lot better now.

My newest project has been this NE coal wagon as seen below, I detailed and weathered it for my dad's birthday (he's a huge LNER fan) but for some reason the camera doesn't seen to pick up the weathering very well, but I can assure you she is weathered :)

You may be able to see in the background another wagon kit, this is the Cambrian LNER 6 plank wagon which hopefully shall be finished soon.

And Also on the workbench is the GNRI cattle wagon kit which is now completed and ready to be painted.

Many thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Evening everyone, more work has been done to the 2 LNER 6 plank wagons and they are now finished ready for the paint shop, I enjoyed this build not too much trouble and nice and easy to put together.

The GNRI cattle wagon is now complete and just needs to have it roof painted.

I've tried a new technique for interior wood and I'll leave you to decide how it looks when the wagon is complete, the interior still needs touching up with paint at the edges and corners.

Thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

The 2 Cambrian LNER 6 plank wagons have been built and been through the paint shop and are now completely painted, body (may be a tad too bright for LNER grey but weathering should fix that) and underframe. But whilst trying to paint up the interior I messed it up badly and it's going to take a while to remove and start over again, so what I'm thinking is to add a coal load to both of them (similar to the hurst wagon) and this I think would make the wagon look better and save me time :) my plan is to have them ready for an exhibition on the 12th of April so I seem to be on target.

Thanks

Nelson