Old CIE ads

Rate this topic

skinner75

Those ads look like something Michael O 'Leary would sketch up in the back seat of the Merc on the way to the office.

You mean they look something like O'Leary would get a 12 year old to draw up, and give him a pittance for - just like the original Swine Air website (with horrible layout & dayglo colours everywhere) - designed by a teenager for a few quid

You mean they look something like O'Leary would get a 12 year old to draw up, and give him a pittance for - just like the original Swine Air website (with horrible layout & dayglo colours everywhere) - designed by a teenager for a few quid

Yyyyyup.

The story is he was quoted c.£1m for an enterprise website solution, the two lads who did it were leaving certs (one ended up studying dentistry), asked for £25k and he got them down to £17k. 'Nuf said.

The one thing that surprises me is that in 1974 they still felt it necessary, in the Airport Coach ad, to include'(Kingsbridge)' after 'Heuston Station'. After all it was eight years or thereabouts since the stations had been renamed.

It took a lot more than eight years for the name Heuston to become established.

The one thing that surprises me is that in 1974 they still felt it necessary, in the Airport Coach ad, to include'(Kingsbridge)' after 'Heuston Station'. After all it was eight years or thereabouts since the stations had been renamed.

Have seen tickets dated well into the thirties with 'Cobh (Queenstown)', CIE working timetables from the 50's and 60's still mentioning 'Maryboro', and I know oul' fellas that still refer to 'Kingsbridge' to this day! Old habits...

Have seen tickets dated well into the thirties with 'Cobh (Queenstown)', CIE working timetables from the 50's and 60's still mentioning 'Maryboro', and I know oul' fellas that still refer to 'Kingsbridge' to this day! Old habits...

My uncle still went up to 'Marabro' into the 80s...

• 6 months later...

Dear all,

If one wishes to remember the names of locations in Ireland, here are some that I still use!

It so happened that one day I visited OSI in the Park, the fellow behind the Public Desk, was about to have his lunch break and was less than helpful when I asked if I may have copies of the Harcourt Street to Shangannagh Junction maps. It's my lunch time, he said and then told me to come back at a later time , or on another day! Helpful type of fellow!! I said I would return later that day after viewing the following locations:-

Vice Regal Lodge,

Sackville Street,

Westland Row Station, New Brunswick Street,

Kingstown and Kingsbridge Stations.

I asked him for directions to Vice Regal Lodge as I believed this too was in the Phoenix Park. Well he blew a gasket. I'll have you know, said he, that "we are now a Republic, them places no longer carry them names, the names given to them by our oppressors of five hundred years. It's time the likes of you learnt that things have changed."

Well, I left his office, laughing to myself and think I touched a nerve there!

I should have remembered to mention Maryborough, Queenstown, Queens County and of course Kings County.

Perhaps I should havealso asked him how I might get to Nelson Pillar for the number Seven tram to Kingstown!!

How things have changed?

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 10/21/2013 at 10:02 AM, Broithe said:

My uncle still went up to 'Marabro' into the 80s...

Recently, in order to accurately set a few clocks, I checked the time and found myself digitally located in Maryborough.

To be fair to them, I wasn't that far away, geographically, but the name was officially changed in 1929.

It's interesting that it has somehow survived into this digital age, when I haven't heard anybody use it in general conversation for most of forty years.

1002626671_Screenshot(25).thumb.png.cf1ce0c9311dd2796be9ec39b962883a.png

The time was right to the second, but the location was ninety years out of date...

Edited by Broithe

Ah, the memories of The Water Closet!   The Houses of Parliament (my Grandfathers expression) a wonderful place of sanctuary, magazines, books, memories and pungent aromas.  A wholly different place nowadays - from a cleansing paper perspective!

Were you a user of ISAL or BRONCO toilet protects? ISAL - A wonderful Toilet Paper with interlaced sheets. If not, perhaps your household is a BRONCO House? "BRONCO is the best buy,  The best buy, The best buy in Bumph,  Best buy BRONCO."  Both of these products were, if you were unfortunate enough to use them -made of a hard shining paper. They would put a glow on your rear-end and clean nothing. A quality News Paper was likely to provide better results followed by a good scrum with VIM or AJAX.

Must dash to Westland Row for the last evening train to Kingstown. Or, possibly, a Tram? Home and then, my HORLICKS, off to my bed and a listen to Dick Barton, Special Agent. Oh, Radio Luxenburg is broadcasting Dan Dare. Wonder how the Mekon is?

Perhaps, The Kennedys of Castlerock will be on Radio Eireann? Followed! By The School around the Corner.

Memories. Happy New Year to each and everyone. 

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Old Blarney said:

Ah, the memories of The Water Closset!   The Houses of Parliament (my Grandfathers expression) a wonderful place of sanctuary, magazines, books, memories and pungent aromas.  A wholly different place nowadays - from a cleansing paper perspective!

Were you a user of ISAL or BRONCO toilet protects? ISAL - A wonderful Toilet Paper with interlaced sheets. If not, perhaps your household is a BRONCO House? "BRONCO is the best buy,  The best buy, The best buy in Bumph,  Best buy BRONCO."  Both of these products were, if you were unfortunate enough to use them -made of a hard shining paper. They would put a glow on your rear-end and clean nothing. A quality News Paper was likely to provide better results followed by a good scrum with VIM or AJAX.

Must dash to Westland Row for the last evening train to Kingstown. Or, possibly, a Tra?, Home and then, off to my bed after my HORLICKS and a listen to Dick Barton, Special Agent. Oh, Radio Luxenburg is broadcasting Dan Dare. Wonder how the Mekon is?

Perhaps, The Kennedys of Castlerock will be on Radio Eireann? Followed! By The School around the Corner.

Memories. Happy New Year to each and everyone. 

Mmm, I did find this in a museum in Shropshire, if you ever get caught out in that vicinity.

1202823648_7S4Update681.thumb.JPG.44e562636daaba01ff225ad3cecd8b55.JPG