Waterford Dungarvan Line.

Rate this topic

that was one of ther best vids i have seen in a long time! the sight of the mixed caoches behind the silver liveried 121 is pure magic, as was the freight trains, a few steamers, crashed locos and all narrated by one of my favourite folk singers - liam clancy...dosent come much better than that! thanks Patrick for a great find:tumbsup:

Great find Patrick.

First time ever seing this. Guessing its from the early 90s? Quigly magnistite factory site derelict, Gold Coast golf club not built yet. Not to mention the relatively good condition of the line. It's fairy overgrown now!

Yep, tis a sad fact that Waterford went from having (in my ah-hem non biased Waterford mans opinion!) the best looking stretch of rail in the country to having none at all. Hopefully the Dungarvan-Waterford line will be re-born in the near future as a greenway and people will get to experience it again. It really is stunning countryside :D Tom

Great find Patrick.

First time ever seing this. Guessing its from the early 90s? Quigly magnistite factory site derelict, Gold Coast golf club not built yet. Not to mention the relatively good condition of the line. It's fairy overgrown now!

Yep, tis a sad fact that Waterford went from having (in my ah-hem non biased Waterford mans opinion!) the best looking stretch of rail in the country to having none at all. Hopefully the Dungarvan-Waterford line will be re-born in the near future as a greenway and people will get to experience it again. It really is stunning countryside :D Tom

I think anyone would agree it was the best looking stretch of rail in the country! Were the trains serving Ballinacourty before your time, or do you have memories of them?

I think anyone would agree it was the best looking stretch of rail in the country! Were the trains serving Ballinacourty before your time, or do you have memories of them?

They would have been well before my time. I think Quigley Magnesite closed in 82 (I think???)... I would have been 2 years old! I do remember seeing the remains of the plant, sitting out on the harbour in Ballinacourty. Mostly whilst mitching off PE during secondry school! Couldnt see a plant like that being located in a scenic spot like that today.

Im sure the rail stayed intact well into the 90s. It crossed the N25 in two places between Kilmacthomas and Kilmeaden. Everytime I pass by the old crossings I still expect to feel the tires of the car 'bump' over the rails. Long since gone since the road was upgraded.