Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

• 8 months later...

I've acquired a few more negatives/slides.

6 uploaded today, 3 of Bantry station and also 2 which need the locations sorted. This is the Flickr 'photostream site'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/?

If you click on the 'albums' for specific areas.

Put a comment on the relevant photo if you have an idea where the location is.

Thanks

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
One unidentified located as BRAY
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 1

53 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I can't log in to comment, but the two of the AEC railcar set, and the 4.6.0T "Bandon Tank" locomotive, were all taken in Bantry station.

Yes I had already identified the Bantry views before uploading , its the 4-4-0 ( I think its D14 96) and the 0-6-0 (looks like J19 596) which need the location identified. The 4-4-0 view looks like at a fairly large station.

Ernie

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

Yes I had already identified the Bantry views before uploading , its the 4-4-0 ( I think its D14 96) and the 0-6-0 (looks like J19 596) which need the location identified. The 4-4-0 view looks like at a fairly large station.

Ernie

Yes, not sure Ernie. Ciaran Cooney is probably a good bet to help.  The midland engine does indeed appear to be a J19, so we may assure that the picture is 90% likely to be in MGWR territory..

6 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ernie

596 appears to be arriving in Cavan, the location is fairly distinctive the train appears to be on the connecting line to the GNR yard. The Midland platform road and goods yard on the left, the diverging line on the right lead to the cattle bank, loco shed and turntable. In the 1950s Cavan was distinctly odd a CIE station with more GNR than CIE traffic. The Clones-Cavan line was still treated as a main line with a frequent by Irish standards service of through trains to Belfast, while CIE operated a daily goods from Mullingar.

5aab5738b9526_604departingCavanre-sixed.jpg.5787a0ec345b3fcfe31779ea69c4df3a.jpg

Looking the other 604 with train station and Midland yard in background. "A Decade of Steam" Photo Drew Donaldson?

• Like 1

I thought Cavan but couldn't get the photo to fit the track plan so I've done some more investigation. EDITED! Yes I now agree with you, there is one small clue in the Cavan images I have now added. THe Henry Emeleus photo from the top of the cutting shows the goods loading gauge and a small tip of this shows on the 596 photo

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
Corrected

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

I thought Cavan but couldn't get the photo to fit the track plan so I've done some more investigation. I think it is Cavan but the train is on the GNR line approaching from the Clones direction which has a curve to the left whereas the M&GWR line is straight. Because it is an exM&GWR locomotive this threw me but there would be nothing to stop CIE trains running through or perhaps shunting after the takeover of the GNR in the 1950's. I will continue to 'dig'!

Ernie

Its an interesting one everything in the photo looks a bit to clean and well maintained for a railway in terminal decline in the late 50s.  The track layout in the photo has more in common with the CIE rather than the GNR yard, the connecting line between two companies was laid in bullhead.

CIE continued to operate the Midland and GNR Cavan branches as two separate systems up to closure, with Cavan served by a steam hauled goods and a diesel railcar mail train from Dundalk & a C Class hauled goods from Mullingar

There are photos of GNR locos and railcars being turned on the Midland turntable & the WTT included whistle signals for working between the two yards so its not unlikely that a CIE loco would work into the northern yard to interchange traffic with the GNR.

Cavan would make an interesting model if I had the space!!

4 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Looking for Cavan photos ,I came across some more of Cavan  images in my files plus some on the GNRI, now added to Flickr.  THe one below by Henry Emeleus is described as Cavan but I don't think it is. The earlier 2 have been identified.

Ernie

126 CIE 186 Cavan 129.jpg

Possibly Roscrea stand of trees in background GSWR signal cabin and cattle bank sidings (long lifted) in the distance

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mayner said:

596 appears to be arriving in Cavan, the location is fairly distinctive the train appears to be on the connecting line to the GNR yard. The Midland platform road and goods yard on the left, the diverging line on the right lead to the cattle bank, loco shed and turntable. In the 1950s Cavan was distinctly odd a CIE station with more GNR than CIE traffic. The Clones-Cavan line was still treated as a main line with a frequent by Irish standards service of through trains to Belfast, while CIE operated a daily goods from Mullingar.

5aab5738b9526_604departingCavanre-sixed.jpg.5787a0ec345b3fcfe31779ea69c4df3a.jpg

Looking the other 604 with train station and Midland yard in background. "A Decade of Steam" Photo Drew Donaldson?

Once CIE took over the remnant of the GNR lines in the area in 1958, I always wondered why they didn't use Mullingar - Inny - Cavan - Clones - Monaghan as a single route, with maybe 2 or 3 through passenger trains a day. I think a GAA special did that once.

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

While talking about all things Cavan, I don't suppose you have any pics in your vast archive of Cootehill, do you Erinie? :)

Sorry I havn't; I think I saw some prints on E Bay recently but as I need copyright permission to use on Flickr they were not of much use to me. Having said that sods law dictates several colour original slides should turn up shortly and selll at greatly inflated prices!

Found some original Cork City and Albert Quay negs to add to flickr but I am under instructions to visit Mother in Law shortly!

regards Ernie

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Once CIE took over the remnant of the GNR lines in the area in 1958, I always wondered why they didn't use Mullingar - Inny - Cavan - Clones - Monaghan as a single route, with maybe 2 or 3 through passenger trains a day. I think a GAA special did that once.

The Midland Cavan branch was very indirect compared with road for Dublin-Cavan traffic over 20 miles longer and served a sparsely populated area which probably contributed to its demise. The branch seems to have been built to feed cattle traffic from the midlands into the port of Belfast.

The GNR is likely that the GNR would have closed the Dundalk-Omagh line and branches if it had been allowed to operate road services in Northern Ireland, it already had established a direct Dublin-Cavan-Enniskillen bus service an an extensive network of bus routes in Cavan, Meath and Monaghan

There is a tale of a J15 arriving unexpectedly in Dundalk from Cavan with the CIE weedspray train at some stage after the 1958 take over, irate telephone calls & telegrams to the traffic people in Dublin. The last passenger train over the INW & Cavan branch appears to have been a circular IRRS tour by an ex GNR AEC railcar set going out over the GNR lines returning by the Midland.

The A Class on the Monaghan GAA special may have arrived from Dundalk rather than Mullingar, some of the coaches seem to have been ex-GNR including a re-gauged LNWR coach.

Cavan would be an interesting place to model beside CIE & GNR locos and stock  UTA 4-4-0 No 81 Carrickfergus Castle was on hire to the GNR and regularly worked into Cavan in the early 1950s

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
59 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I've been experimenting with uploading some of my own video to Flickr. First attempt is 080 arriving at Claremorris with the Ballina ECS set and then shunting the Guinness wagons in June 2003

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/32862241808/in/dateposted/

Ernie

Hi Ernie

I opened an account and signed in.I then got the following message,

This is not the page you’re looking for.

2019-01-14T10:30:09Z-8c904642@server

It appears you don’t have permission to view this photo or video. 
Here are some other photos from Ernies Railway Archive instead:

I think I've got it sussed ! Flickr hasn't changed yet; at present you can only upload Videos of up to 3 minutes but when the new format starts later this year I can upload video's up to 10 minutes in length. Here are a couple more from May 2000 at Limerick Junction.

First 192 reverses the Mts from Athy into Platform 2 and goes off to rescue a failed 127 on the Push/Pull. 192 then takes them off to Limerick passing a Cork Liner and an mt bagged cement.

The Video is from old Hi8 stock and not so good as the later Digital 8 material I switched to a couple of years later. I will just put links on as I think they should work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/46025400434/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/39785068603/in/photostream/

Fingers crossed

Ernie

• Like 2