Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Not sure about the caravan

Same here I've never stayed in a caravan before so I'm not looking forward to it however before Covid I used to go by myself to the FR and WHR Galas as well as travelling on the 'Subscribers' Special every October. My favourites were roaming the hills above Dduallt and Rhydd Dhu but I am past doing that and this pastime has been banned by the family!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Same here I've never stayed in a caravan before so I'm not looking forward to it ...

Just imagine it's the caravan that Father Ted, Father Jack and Father Dougal stayed in when they went on holiday!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

The clarity of those photos are incredible. Look at the PerWay on the Loughrea branch. Amazing. And you could have cycled in the cess, all the way to Attymon. That was the way things were, into the mid 70's, even on the main lines.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, bufferstop said:

The clarity of those photos are incredible. Look at the PerWay on the Loughrea branch. Amazing. And you could have cycled in the cess, all the way to Attymon. That was the way things were, into the mid 70's, even on the main lines.

It’s delightful I agree. But did nothing to make such lines viable given the traffic density. I remember reading a quote in a book about Col Stephens and his railways, describing how horrified he would be about such high standards on a tertiary route! One of the reasons the SLNC limped on as long as it did is that its PW was just good enough to work. That said, I do recall with nostalgia the GN main up to the 80s when the mileposts between  Dundalk and Drogheda had manicured grass surrounds…

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Galteemore said:

...One of the reasons the SLNC limped on as long as it did is that its PW was just good enough to work.…

In some of the SLNC photos, you can actually see the way the rail head undulates on each length due to long-term wear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Off to Wales tomorrow so this is the last offering until next weekend.

John G Dewing must have been taken with this as this is his third slide of 'Enniskillen' at Manorhamilton  SLNCR 1957-05-27 'Enniskillen' at Manorhamilton JGD570123

GNRI 1957-05-31 Drogheda 208 JGD570235

A well documented IRRS Special on the Cork City Railway, this is JG Dewing's contribution. CBSC 1961-03-17 Cork City Rly IRRS SPL JGD610313

C&L 1958-05-13 Drumshanbo 3T JGD580117. I had problems restoring this one as JGD had somehow spilt blue ink all over it. In the end I resorted to a quick wash under the cold tap which diluted it enough to make it less obvious. Not to be reccomended though!.

C&L 1958-05-13 Mohill JGD580116

I have also uploaded a few views of diesels at Limerick Junction ca 2000-2005 to flickr

SLNCR 1957-05-27 'Enniskillen' at Manorhamilton JGD570123 GNRI 1957-05-31 Drogheda 208 JGD570235 CBSC 1961-03-17 Cork City Rly IRRS SPL JGD610313 C&L 1958-05-13 Drumshanbo 3T JGD580117 C&L 1958-05-13 Mohill JGD580116

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Wonderful Ernie - have a great trip! As you say, JGD took several images at Manorhamilton in quick succession - there’s another similar one showing the driver oiling round. There’s a good head of steam for the climb to Glenfarne! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The trip to Wales was remarkable in that we had no rain (well just the odd drizzle between stops)l for the 5 days. In Tywyn I examined the Tralee & Dingle book and purchased it as we didn't have time for a trip.

CDRJC 1957-06-08 Donegal Town 19 +20 LN1085.

CDRJC 1958-05-11 Donegal  .I think this is 'Erne' not 'Drumboe' as recorded by JGD  JGD580131.

GNRI 1962-05-17 Narrow Water UTA 43 JGD620535

CDRJC 1957-06-08 Donegal Town 19 +20 LN1085 CDRJC 1958-05-11 Donegal 4 'Drumboe' JGD580131 GNRI 1962-05-17 Narrow Water UTA 43 JGD620535

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, Paul 34F said:

This is the first time I’ve seen a photo of a Goods train at Narrowater Castle.  
Passenger trains must have been more popular with Photographers?

Paul

My thoughts too Paul! I suspect most photographers visited the Point when the excursion traffic was on, which brought more locos in. As you say, the standard image of the castle is a dirty engine with green coaches behind….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought I recognised these - I used two in Steaming in Three Centuries. The Islandbridge one was considered as a Frontispiece, but is in the colour section, along with the Athy shot.

I've still got a few copies!

And, no, Ernie, I am not going to pay you retrospective royalties!

• Funny 3

Looking at the third picture in the latest post, my eyes fell on the second carriage.  It appears to be a GNRI vehicle.  Does anyone have details of the carriages in the train?  It makes me think it is the B5 Dining Car, but I need to check.

Paul