Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Congratulations, Ernie on the December haul. As Patrick said, the view at "The Junction" was most unusual and seldom photographed, was the angle taken at Ballyhaise.

Then, a rare sighting of a Brewster's Bread container at Strabane - still available from a certain model wagon company - they seem to have been a chocolate brown colour! Or at least, MINE are. The other Derry bakery won the prize with their light blue containers and white lettering. Very colourful on a railway which was mostly a bit grey!

Always a delight to see your collection, so thanks again.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

a railway which was mostly a bit grey!

When suits you to start the heresy trial Leslie? Never did I think such words would fall from your keyboard. I’d have been thrown out of the house had I said such things at home! Was bad enough when I showed an interest in the NCC….i always thought of the GN as blue and brown but never grey ;) Immortalised here by Tony Ragg and the late Harry Mulholland…

IMG_9996.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

It's great what a bit of controversy leads to a good result. Never seen that photo of the "other" junction before.

Heresy? I was talking about the unrelieved grey of goods wagons - MY bread containers brighten up a GN goods train!

Plus - many forget that the vast majority of GNR locos were black, rather than blue! Black locos and grey wagons outnumbered the shiny blue machines buy a lot.......... (but an ever-smaller few of us know that!)....

• Like 2

2023 done! As at 31 December the number of hits on the Archive since the beginning in 2009 amounted to over 60 million (60183344) Now if I had received just a penny a hit that would have amounted to £601,833-44 and I could have probably just funded an RTR 00 scale GNRI VS 4-4-0. Back in the real world if one had to pay 1P per hit the total number would probably be closer 60183!

Ah Well! back to reality. I have approx 450 images still to upload but there is very little in the pipeline or on the horizon, but you never know what might materialise in future.

Four views today.

C&L 1953-06-08 3L on the Arigna branch train which hit a  car x151. The LRTL Special of 1953.

Connolly 072 probably on a Rosslare Harbour train ca 2000-2005. j211

GNRI 1953-09-24 Ballyhaise 4.55pm ex Belturbet JT 90. Mck002

GNRI 1956-09-13 Oldcastle Loco shed LN401 A hurried snapshot a bit out of focus unfortunately.

C&L 1953-06-08 3L on the Arigna branch train which hit a  car x151 Connolly 072 probably on a Rosslare Harbour train ca 2000-2005. j211 GNRI 1953-09-24 Ballyhaise 4.55pm ex Belturbet JT 90. Mck002 GNRI 1956-09-13 Oldcastle Loco shed LN401

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous - thanks Ernie. Quite apart from entertainment and general interest, your archive is invaluable for modellers. I refer to it almost daily. Thanks for all that you do - I know that each image uploaded represents much effort on your part. It’s not taken for granted - and I know I speak for many others here in saying that. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4
  • Agree 10