Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

This one looks quite desolate!

It hadn't seen a passenger train service since 1931! One of the first lines to lose its passenger trains in the entire country. Even the goods didn't last much longer. Latterly it slumbered in near dereliction for many years, the weeds only disturbed the odd time by a cattle train on market days.

• Informative 1

VS 207 on an IRRS Special at Cork, Glanmire Road 17 March 1962.

A bit, well a lot poorer quality than JG Dewings slide above; 154 at Ennis 16 August 1994. 

These 2 need the locations idenified.

Unknown F6 at unknown location er photographer unknown , probably ca 1961. EDIT Inchicore and F6 42.

Similar lack of information on this ex GNRI 4-4-0 . I think it might possibly be Derry .

CIE 1962-03-17 Cork, Glanmire Rd, ex GN VS207 IRRS SPL JGD620234 IR 1994-08-16 Ennis 154 zz072 CIE 1961-xx-xx F6 unid GNRI Irish M029

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 16

On 8/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, jhb171achill said:

It hadn't seen a passenger train service since 1931! One of the first lines to lose its passenger trains in the entire country. Even the goods didn't last much longer. Latterly it slumbered in near dereliction for many years, the weeds only disturbed the odd time by a cattle train on market days.

And the 1961 All Ireland Tour ........

CA06184copy.thumb.jpg.3963aa26a15643d32723ea001499dff3.jpg

Lance King Collection, copyright IRRS

34 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Any date for Foyle Road photo? If after 1963 could be 170,171 or 174?

I don't think it's as late as that, JIm, as the first coach is in blue and cream and I don't remember those on steam trains as late as 1963.

• Like 7
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

I don't think it's as late as that, JIm, as the first coach is in blue and cream and I don't remember those on steam trains as late as 1963.

There were still a handful of coaches in blue and cream (and GNR brown!) as late as 1964...... so possible, if (as leslie suggests) unlikely.

I remember seeing a coach in brown in Lisburn about 1964/5. Last one I ever saw, and by some margin.

A couple of years later, I saw a 3-car GNR AEC set in the same place, with one car in UTA green, one in UTA blue and cream, and the other brand-newloy painted in the then-new NIR maroon and light grey!

• Informative 1

8 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Have lots of Strabane photos around 1960 with  GNR locos with some blue and cream coaches 

Have a colour photo.from 1964 showing such a coach in that livery in Strabane station.

After the UTA takeover in 1958, many GNR railcars were still quite new and with fresh paintwork. A bit like the late 1980s addition of IR "set-of-points" logos to as yet un-tippexed locomotives, an interim livery for several years was the same GNR livery but with the GNR crest and "G N R" letters painted out, and the UTA "roundel" put on instead. Some of these were kickin' about like that until the Derry Road was in its last days, though by closure I'm pretty sure railcars were by then all green. I never saw a railcar in GNR livery, only carriages (and wagons). There were wagons marked "G N" on the UTA until they got rid of goods in 1965, and on a few ballast hoppers a bit beyond that. I'd say there were a few ex-GN goods vans on CIE which retained those markings until the late 1960s.

I saw a wagon at Tralee's Rock St yard in the mid-70s with CIE marking, but these had been weakly applied, and the "G" of "GN" was clearly showing through.

Perusal of IRRS or Ernie's images will show the odd wagon with "G S" faintly showing through CIE livery.

• Like 2

The house is still being re-wired but should be finished this week when I should then be able to access my PC. The good news is that I have finally received some 119 negatives  taken by Nick Nicholson and WAC Smith in the early 1950's and I have scanned them in on my Lap Top. Almost all of them were taken in the area Strabane - Omagh -Clones Cavan Belturbet Enniskillen Glenfarne Manorhamilton Ballyshannon and Donegal Town.

Cavan ex M&GWR C212 23 September 1957.

SLNCR  Enniskillen at Enniskillen with the train crew and staff  21 September 1957.

'Enniskillen & 'Lough Melvin crossing at Glenfarne 8 June 1957.

CIE 1957-09-23 Cavan C212 Mullingar goods WACS947 SLNCR 1957-09-21 Enniskillen, crew & staff pose in front of 'Enniskillen' WACS2117 SLNCR 1957-06-08 Glenfarne 'Enniskillen' & 'Lough Melvin' LN1117

• Like 14

Note the CIE open wagon. It would be interesting to know how far beyond Enniskillen CIE / GSR / erstwhile GSWR (WLWR) and MGWR stock penetrated into the GNR. Much to derry via Omagh, no doubt; but elsewhere? Certainly, flying snails were no stranger to Enniskillen - including on coaches. When the SLNCR had excursions they often borrowed a few MGWR six wheelers from Sligo.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 8:02 PM, Horsetan said:

This one looks quite desolate!

At that stage and for a good twenty years earlier, almost nothing but the odd cattle or GAA special had gone in there.

It remained through the 1950s as one of those sleepy railway backwaters like Dingle, Mountmellick, Castlecomer, Cashel, Athboy or Clara-Streamstown.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

I picked up some 258 negatives in a Justaclickago auction last year. They are from 1995 to 2006 roughly but with no information. I have identified most locations but little else as I have been pre-occupied with more historic images. Its frightening to think that they depict an era now some 20 -30 odd years ago, but still fresh in many members minds. 

The first 3 are Limerick Junction probably about 2003-5. Or slightly earlier, there is a loaded fertiliser wagon in the middle view.

Limerick Junction justa201 Limerick Junction justa100 Limerick Junction justa045

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

3 undated negatives from probably 2005-2009 no dates unfortunately .

233 at Docklands on an ITG Special . I have this date somewhere but the house is being re-built!

Mallow 172 probably on a Tralee to Cork service.

Dublin Connolly 081 on Sligo service.

Docklands 233 ITG Special justa006  

ITG "Docklands Pioneer" tour date was 31st March 2007.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1