Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

An especially good post of photos, Ernie.

The Inchicore shot is well-known to we oldies, but interesting to see the D17 on the old WL&WR. I'm pretty sure I have never seen a photo of a Woolwich crossing the Shannon - something they did every day throughout the early Fifties, but seems to have been little captured. Shots showing anything of the roundhouse at Broadstone are pretty rare.

Thanks for capturing these and letting us see them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airfixfan said:

Better something than nothing!

Just for you Jim; I am up early tomorrow chasing and hopefully actually videoing Potash trains at Hunts Cliff near Saltburn, a second attempt after a fruitless trip last friday .

CDRJC Victoria Road , Derry , Drumboe 12 July 1954. You can see the differences in length of the ex NCC first coach and the second CDRJC one.

Same location but  Alice on the 10am to Strabane 26 Sept 1953.

Lastly GNRI  Ballyhaise, AL 141 on 17.15 to Clones 10 July 1954.

CDRJC 1954-07-12 Derry Victoria Road , 5 Drumboe Mck045 CDRJC 1953-09-26 Londonderry Victoria Rd 1 Alice 10am to Strabane Mck001 GNRI 1954-07-10 Ballyhaise 17.15 to Clones, AL 141 Mck048

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 10

Wexford , According to the photographer this was the17.45 to Waterford via Macmine Jc & New Ross,but appears to be rather a lengthy train for the service and there is no mention of such a train in the WTT's I have for  1948 & 1957. More likely to be a Dublin service, there was a 5.10 pm to Westland Row in the  1948 WTT.J15 114, 21 Sept 1953.

Busy time at Strabane, CDRJC, Railcar 12, Phoenix & Blanche plus GNRI PGs 100, 13 July 1954.

Cork, Albert Quay, 423 shunting Tar Tank wagon 6 July 1954.

CIE 1953-09-21 Wexford  17.45 to Waterford J15 114  Mck017 CDRJC 1954-07-13 Strabane, Railcar 12 + 'Phoenix' No 2 Blanche & GNRI PGs 100  Mck043 CBSCR 1954-07-06 Cork Rocksavage 423 shunting. Mck035

• Like 9

I have just realised that I am away tomorrow entertaining relations (including 5 year old granddaughter so definitely no free time! We are, so I'm told on diverging Learning Curves ) so I have added these to flickr today.

Wexford Shed, 543 minus its front bogie wheels and 87, 5 July 1954.

Ennis D14, 93 on 8.55am Galway - Limerick passing the West Clare sidings 23 September 1953.

Cork City Railway, C7 317 heads for Kent station 10 June 1952.

CDRJC (NCC) Londonderry, Victoria Road, 5, 'Drumboe' 12 July 1954.

CIE 1954-07-05 Wexford 543 + 87 Mck022 CIE 1953-09-23  Ennis 8.55am Galway - Limerick D14 93. Mck018 CCR 1952-06-10 Cork City Rly C7 317 Mck011 CDRJC 1954-07-12 Derry Victoria Road , 5 Drumboe. Mck044

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The red coach (if not the whole train) was used in lifting the west cork line a few years later

This thing was a purpose-built "Ballast Van", used only on PW trains and the like. Possibly used an old 6-wheeled chassis, as long-wheelbase four-wheelers simply didn't exist here. Unusually, it was painted bauxite brown - other PW stock, just like other non-passenger stock, was inevitably standard wagon grey. No such things as yellow machines until the 1960s - even the first automatied tampers and liners were grey.

I have a notion that there was a second one of these vans, used for the same purpose, but not perhaps exactly the same. Will post details if ever I find them!

This particular one, as you say, was used in West Cork after closure - but probably also the Newmarket and Kenmare branches when lifting was in progress too. As such, it is likely to have been based in Cork or possibly Tralee.

On 23/7/2023 at 8:23 AM, Irishswissernie said:

West Clare , the LRTL Special at Lahinch 10 June 1953. 5C and Tourist saloon 33C.

West Clare 1953-06-10 Lahinch Tourist Saloon 33C on LRTL spl. x149

That has to be the late Johnny O'Meara (with black cap) on the left in the coach!

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

This thing was a purpose-built "Ballast Van", used only on PW trains and the like. Possibly used an old 6-wheeled chassis, as long-wheelbase four-wheelers simply didn't exist here. Unusually, it was painted bauxite brown - other PW stock, just like other non-passenger stock, was inevitably standard wagon grey. No such things as yellow machines until the 1960s - even the first automatied tampers and liners were grey.

I have a notion that there was a second one of these vans, used for the same purpose, but not perhaps exactly the same. Will post details if ever I find them!

This particular one, as you say, was used in West Cork after closure - but probably also the Newmarket and Kenmare branches when lifting was in progress too. As such, it is likely to have been based in Cork or possibly Tralee.

That has to be the late Johnny O'Meara (with black cap) on the left in the coach!

Theres a drawing of it in part 2 of the Oakwood Valencia  Railway book,page 234,that one is numbered 8457.Andy.

• Like 1